Anybody own MBL 101 X-Treme speakers? How big is your room?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Greg, How do these SMT diffusers differ, if at all in practice, from RPG Diffractal diffusers (which look very similar)?

image.jpg

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
SMT products are based on time delays. RPG products are based on phase interference. Some people argue RPG products are true diffraction and SMT products are not.

I have tried both and I prefer RPG products though SMT are much cheaper!! If you like RPG, I would go for Modiffractal as too many diffractal of the same pattern will create lobing.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
SMT products are based on time delays. RPG products are based on phase interference. Some people argue RPG products are true diffraction and SMT products are not.

I have tried both and I prefer RPG products though SMT are much cheaper!! If you like RPG, I would go for Modiffractal as too many diffractal of the same pattern will create lobing.

Interesting, what difference did you hear?

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
101X are great speakers. I like them very much. Unfortunately, my room is too small for them. I hope they will have smaller version like two boxes of subwoofers rather than two towers.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
SMT bass traps are not broad band bass traps. They have high Q and should target troublesome room mode. Use them correctly, it is very powerful.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I have tried both and I prefer RPG products though SMT are much cheaper!! If you like RPG, I would go for Modiffractal as too many diffractal of the same pattern will create lobing.

I have both RPG Diffractal, flutterfree and Abbfusor. Can you elucidate me about the Modiffractal? I only know about the Modffusor.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hey Greg

What's the peak amperage draw of a full on balls to the wall X-treme system?

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Hey Greg

What's the peak amperage draw of a full on balls to the wall X-treme system?

Hey Jack, not sure of the draw from the wall, we've run the amps on those limited current outlet boxes at CES with no issues and we've ordered as much as 60A service from hotels that offer electric drops for extra $$$.

As far as peak output from the big 9011 amps they will deliver up to 5000w into 2 ohms......
So a balls to the wall Extreme system with four 9011 amps is a pretty powerful beast.
But also remember the two bass towers of 6 big woofers also has their own amplification separate from the 9011's.

However the thing I notice after spending time with the Extreme system has to be the effortless of it all.
You want big dynamics - check.
Soundstaging - check.
Even flat out imaging like a mini monitor - checkaroo on that too.

Maybe the imaging was the most striking thing....

Bruce Springsteen was singing "Ghost of Tom Joad" at concert level, his voice was pinpoint in the center like he was standing right there.
Then when the harmonica came in it j-u-m-p-e-d into a huge soundstage that filled the room with effortless power, just wow.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I don't doubt it one bit Greg. I was just wondering how many Stromtank HPs it would take. The Wolfgang connection and all :)

One thing for sure, if one has the desire for Big X, getting power for them is easy. It's not a product suite I'd expect in a condo. Good sized home or mansion more likely.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
Thanks for the props Caesar much appreciated!

Honestly I think Jeremy, Tara (can't forget Tara she works like a Boss) and I do the after hours things for ourselves and our friends.....
After we put all the effort into setting all this gear up, you want to listen, we are all there so might as well listen vs sit in a bar and jabber.

However we have had some great things happen at the after hours events, made friends, heard some things on tape that are pretty rare and had great parties.
Women have danced, men have danced (but who cares), people have been drunk and rough at times, but all taken in stride and good fun.

At the LA Show 3 women sang backup vocals in the back row to "Sympathy For The Devil" with hands in the air like they just don't care and I must say, it sounded pretty damn good.
Bottom line is we've had great times with great friends, great dancing, great singing, some great comradery and some great fights too (usually over seats, ha!), so whats not to like.
We'll continue to do it and invite all to come!

Greg,
Thanks for chiming in. I have no doubt your system sounds incredible. Here's a video with Peter Breuninger I found on the internet:

How close do you think you get to the Extremes with your system?

P.S. I am sure I'm speaking for hundreds and hundreds of music lovers, but you, Jeremy from MBL, and the entire MBL team deserve a huge THANK YOU for always put on the most incredible musical experience in the late evenings - after long days of working the show.

Greg Beron / UHA

Member Sponsor
Apr 5, 2012
Washington DC
www.unitedhomeaudio.com
I don't doubt it one bit Greg. I was just wondering how many Stromtank HPs it would take. The Wolfgang connection and all :)

One thing for sure, if one has the desire for Big X, getting power for them is easy. It's not a product suite I'd expect in a condo. Good sized home or mansion more likely.

In a big room they are great for sure with space for the soundstage and dynamics to evolve, but Jonathan Valin had the Extremes in his 3rd floor walk up listening room that is NOT a huge room.
It's a great sounding room for sure with plaster walls and high ceilings but it was pretty near field listening to a huge speaker system.
He liked it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Karajan! I like the way you have made the speakers match the room!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing