The Big Sick – Official US Trailer – Kumail Nanjiani and Ray Romano Intro | Amazon Studios

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

saw this movie this afternoon after reading glowing reviews about it

Based on the real-life courtship between Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, THE BIG SICK tells the story of Pakistan-born aspiring comedian Kumail (Nanjiani), who connects with grad student Emily (Kazan) after one of his standup sets. However, what they thought would be just a one-night stand blossoms into the real thing, which complicates the life that is expected of Kumail by his traditional Muslim parents. When Emily is beset with a mystery illness, it forces Kumail to navigate the medical crisis with her parents, Beth and Terry (Holly Hunter and Ray Romano) who he's never met, while dealing with the emotional tug-of-war between his family and his heart. THE BIG SICK is directed by Michael Showalter (HELLO MY NAME IS DORIS) and producer by Judd Apatow (TRAINWRECK, THIS IS 40) and Barry Mendel (TRAINWRECK, THE ROYAL TENENBAUMS).

Cast: Kumail Nanjiani, Zoe Kazan, Holly Hunter, Ray Romano, Anupam Kher, Zenobia Shroff, Adeel Akhtar, Bo Burnham, Aidy Bryant, Kurt Braunohler, Vella Lovell, Myra Lucretia Taylor, Jeremy Shamos, David Grier, Shenaz Treasurywala, Linda Emond
Director: Michael Showalter
Writer: Emily Gordon, Kumail Nanjiani, Emily V. Gordon
Rating: R
Running Time: 119 min.

MRQE rating 80%

Rotten tomatoes 97%

Suffice it to say this in't a great movie yet having said that we were all thoroughly entertained. My mother in law who hates most movies loved this one except for the multitude of "F" bombs

The story evolves slowly and in the first half hour I was scratching my head wondering what all of the fuss is about

The last half of the story however draws you in as you go from ups to downs and not knowing how this story is going to end. The ending is wonderful and indeed a true story

This is more a comedic drama than a comedy. Infact laughs were infrequent

This guy is one crappy comedian but it is the story of his life, his family as well as that of Emily and her family

With the scarcity of anything good around I would give this one a strong thumb's up

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
interesting review, thanks. was thinking about going today but never made it. a light, summer movie is appealing.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We are heading out of town to a cooler climate tomorrow but plan to see The Big Sick when we return.

I went to see War for the Planet of the Apes this morning - wife had NO interest - and I won't write a review but it was not bad. Higher than expected ratings for it on Rotten Tomatoes.

This movie is a sad commentary on mankind. Apes are the good guys.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
My wife and I went to see The Big Sick yesterday. We both enjoyed the movie.

It has been classified as a romantic comedy and I suppose that it is, but it is also much more in my mind.

The movie is the true life story of Kumail Nanjiani, the well known comedian, and the woman who will become his wife. Without giving away too much of the story, it is complicated by his being of Pakistani descent with a mother who is in favor of arranged marriages (with a Pakistani bride). That doesn't sound funny, but the way it is presented certainly is.

His girl friend (wife to be) becomes ill and is hospitalized with a mysterious but life threatening disease. Her parents enter the story as well to complete the culture clash with their own complicated relationship.

Ray Romano plays the girl's father and he does a surprisingly good job in the role. Holly Hunter plays his wife.

Zoe Kazan plays the role of Emily, the girl friend.

Anupam Kher plays Kumail's father and my wife told me that he is a very well know Pakistani actor. Kumail was quite honored he agreed to appear in the movie.

Anyway, it was a good movie - a love story (three love stories), with dramatic and very humorous attributes. Very touching on many levels.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
It was terrific film. If anything I would say that Holly Hunter and Ray Romano over acted their parts in many scenes

I can understand why you made this comment. I was surprised to see Romano pull off the role so perhaps may have given him too much credit.

I also should have re-read your opening comment in the thread before I posted - sorry for repeating.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I thought he did a great job portraying himself - who could do it better? :)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My wife and I went to see The Big Sick yesterday. We both enjoyed the movie.

It has been classified as a romantic comedy and I suppose that it is, but it is also much more in my mind.

The movie is the true life story of Kumail Nanjiani, the well known comedian, and the woman who will become his wife. Without giving away too much of the story, it is complicated by his being of Pakistani descent with a mother who is in favor of arranged marriages (with a Pakistani bride). That doesn't sound funny, but the way it is presented certainly is.

His girl friend (wife to be) becomes ill and is hospitalized with a mysterious but life threatening disease. Her parents enter the story as well to complete the culture clash with their own complicated relationship.

Ray Romano plays the girl's father and he does a surprisingly good job in the role. Holly Hunter plays his wife.

Zoe Kazan plays the role of Emily, the girl friend.

Anupam Kher plays Kumail's father and my wife told me that he is a very well know Pakistani actor. Kumail was quite honored he agreed to appear in the movie.

Anyway, it was a good movie - a love story (three love stories), with dramatic and very humorous attributes. Very touching on many levels.

I agree on all accounts. One of the better movies of the year and caught both my wife and I off guard.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
My wife just reminded me that as we read the credits for the movie that he did give credit to his acting coach. Don't remember her name.

Did seem strange to me when I read that.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
agreed but do you really think he is funny as a comedian

I have to be honest and state that I don't know his other work very well. I don't think I have ever watched the HBO series Silicon Valley which is his best known work. There were only snippets of his stand up in the movie but not enough for me to form an informed opinion.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
agreed but do you really think he is funny as a comedian

I like his role in Silicon Valley. He's funny as the nerdy, "token indian guy in IT".
Guess I have to go watch this movie then...

cheers,
alex

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The Big Sick was a very good movie.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing