How far should speakers be placed away from walls to eliminate smearing from early reflections?

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
What is the ideal distance for speakers to be placed away from walls to eliminate the smearing effect of early reflections?

In a perfect scenario, is the middle of the room the best place?

Thank you
try this setup in your room. works well in 90% of all rooms without investing a lot of money in room acoustics.

he has been building loudspeakers for 50 years and is a lecturer at a university in the field of acoustics. it doesn't cost anything just try it, trying makes wise

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
There are no set dimensions. Just guides and adjust until you are satisfied.

So decent information here. https://audiophilereview.com/category/room-acoustics/
Thanks. From the article, "Using DSP to create a particular environment or playback effect can be a lot of fun. However, DSP doesn’t necessarily allow for controlled, considered sound room creation." I'm guessing he doesn't employ and / or has never used DSP. Implemented correctly and sparingly, it is an excellent tool for better low frequency sound quality.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Republicoftexas69

Thanks. From the article, "Using DSP to create a particular environment or playback effect can be a lot of fun. However, DSP doesn’t necessarily allow for controlled, considered sound room creation." I'm guessing he doesn't employ and / or has never used DSP. Implemented correctly and sparingly, it is an excellent tool for better low frequency sound quality.
?? I do not use DSP I use my ears. My room sounds good to me and that is all that matters to me. There are 3 pages of articles in that link. Find what works for you. Good luck and happy listening!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
DSP can help with some issues but does not obviate the need for room treatment. From Arqen: "....Alas, you can’t simply apply digital room correction to fix your acoustics. Room EQ can tame some issues, but it can’t correct for long reverberation times or comb filtering caused by strong early reflections (like those nasty reflections produced by speaker-boundary interference). To tame these problems you have two weapons in your arsenal: smart room layout and acoustic treatment. ...".

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
DSP can help with some issues but does not obviate the need for room treatment. From Arqen: "....Alas, you can’t simply apply digital room correction to fix your acoustics. Room EQ can tame some issues, but it can’t correct for long reverberation times or comb filtering caused by strong early reflections (like those nasty reflections produced by speaker-boundary interference). To tame these problems you have two weapons in your arsenal: smart room layout and acoustic treatment. ...".
Who said anything about omitting room treatment when employing DSP? Best is to use both as little as possible IME.

Also, your quote (from Argen?) is partially incorrect, room EQ can tame long reverberation times for some room modes. By reducing the amplitude you can reduce the reverb time at the select frequency(ies).

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
?? I do not use DSP I use my ears. My room sounds good to me and that is all that matters to me. There are 3 pages of articles in that link. Find what works for you. Good luck and happy listening!
Whatever works for you, enjoy!

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
You could watch this video . An acoustics professional talks about room acoustics -- stereo & home theatre.

NC Lee

Oct 23, 2014
NC
Not for me. Others will disagree.

I think sidewall reflections are often preferred due to acclimation (that's what we're used to) and the fact many systems can't reproduce many spatial cues in the recording so room reflections become the substituted spatial cues. But it makes it sound like all the music is being played in your room rather than hearing the acoustics of the various venues the recordings were made at.
Yes, a sameness but not due to tonal coloration.
I wanted more intimacy; put that singer in a small jazz club if that's where she belongs.
I have wide dispersion speakers in a room I am taming of too much reflection. I put a 10x7' 4" rock wool panel behind the speakers that make a great difference. Yesterday, I put same rock wool 2x4' panels just in front of and to the outside of my speakers. I also moved my seating 2' closer to the speakers. Both may have gotten me where I am satisfied*. It has caused some bass issues that I'll try to address next with speaker placement.

* Are we ever for long?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thus far there has been unanimous agreement among friends and visitors to my room that absorbing the first reflections sounds better than not absorbing the first reflections.

With all of my prior narrow dispersion panel speakers I never put any acoustic treatment on the side walls. With this new wide dispersion panel speaker absorbing the first reflections seems to be the right way to go.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Thus far there has been unanimous agreement among friends and visitors to my room that absorbing the first reflections sounds better than not absorbing the first reflections.

With all of my prior narrow dispersion panel speakers I never put any acoustic treatment on the side walls. With this new wide dispersion panel speaker absorbing the first reflections seems to be the right way to go.
Ron, I would tend to recommend Diffusion at first reflection points however if you are finding some benefit from Absorption at those locations you might consider a combination panel such as https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/combination-absorption-diffusion/

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I would tend to recommend Diffusion at first reflection points however if you are finding some benefit from Absorption at those locations you might consider a combination panel such as https://gikacoustics.co.uk/product-category/combination-absorption-diffusion/

I agree that diffusion at first reflection points would be the better place to start. I happen to have the big 4' x 8' absorption panels, so I tried them. I don't have any diffusion panels in inventory.

I am not suggesting that diffusion might not be better. But merely between no treatment and the absorption panels, I am reporting that I preferred the absorption panels.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Actually, those Gik combination panels seem to absorb the most at around 400Hz. I am trying to minimize absorption between 100Hz and 1,000Hz. So in my idiosyncratic situation that would not be the right product for me.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Ron, Agree there also-- Art Noxon ASC recommends Absorption--I use as his diagram posted--with the ASC TT's the Seam is Diffusion.
While I've used /owned TTraps since 1990 and know and like them I realise the Plethora of alternatives today will give a choice I never explored. I hope you can find a solution amongst them.
Indeed Interesting thread good workings to read --it seems to be coming together--Kudos!

BruceD
ASC 2.jpg

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
But it is interesting that in the chart you posted Art is using the absorption side of the TubeTraps on the sidewalls.

Reactions: BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing