Opinions on RCA jacks for tonearm cable

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hiya one and all
I'm about to receive my serviced and updated Soundsmith Straingauge cart and energiser
I'm going to use a bespoke psu with the energiser which has fitted a medical grade R-transformer, and put the tt/arm and energiser on a Stacore Advanced passive platform
I'm confident this will all give me a big upstick in lp playback
I hope so, w my house move, audio room construction and repair delay, I've been w'out vinyl for 18 months now
My last area of concern/last thing to correct, is the RCA jacks on my tonearm cable
The cable is a bespoke one piece silver construction continuous from cart tags to phono inputs
It's become apparent over the years that they've become loose as they poorly fit the Straingauge energiser box input sockets
So this is my chance to fit better quality and better fitting RCA jacks
Any opinions on which to consider?
I've had two suggestions so far
Klei Silver Harmony RCAs
WBT locking RCAs
Peter Lederman of Soundsmith who makes the Straingauge says locking jacks may be most foolproof, but I've heard some negative reports on locking jacks
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Honestly your strange pattern of the message that isn't in sentences and paragraphs made me stop reading.

I like one that are copper on the inside, and have the most simple shapes. Furutech FT/P-90x are fantastic. Everything else is just ok IMO, copper being a little better. In fact Neutrik cheap ones are fine really if you won't spring for the Furutech's with the proper shapes and material.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I just had a custom tonearm cable made and used the Furutech CF-102 plugs and they are very nice with a solid grip.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
For jacks Furutech FT-903(R)

For plugs WBT 0102 Ag. Another good choice is Furutech CF-102 but the WBTs are a little better. Every good RCA plug is locking, they need to be because tolerances for the OD of the ground connection of RCA jacks are not great.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gentlemen, sorry if I used to wrong terminology
It's the pair of plugs I need to replace on the end of my tonearm wire to try and provide the snuggest fit into my phono jacks
Seems like Fututech getting the vote so far
Thanks

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
WBT 0102 Ag for sure... if they are too much $$ then Furutech FP-108(R). They are the same plug as the CF-102 but with a brass body instead of stainless/carbon.

Reactions: DaveyF

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I'm partial to the KLE silver type. I believe they leave less artifacts to the sound.

I built a custom set of silver in cotton sheathed phono cables and experimented extensively.. the KLEs were best for me.

phono cable.jpg

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Kcin, your advice mirrors that given to me by a very well regarded cable maker
Did you go for Silver Harmony it top of the line Absolute Harmony?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Kcin, your advice mirrors that given to me by a very well regarded cable maker
Did you go for Silver Harmony it top of the line Absolute Harmony?

I'm relatively certain that it was "Pure Harmony" line...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Kcin
Anyhow, it's reassuring to get two independent recommendations that match

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
If a cable is leaving artifacts it is broken and is making connection by touching peridoically or arcing; maybe picking up RF.

Non-broken cables - short of massive interferance with no shielding or adequet shielding - will never leave an artifact. It simply doesn't work that way.

Could poor cables cause abberations while being unbroken? Sure! They tend be the most expenisve cables doing something new to sound unique.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Another vote for WBT silver RCA plugs. I tried the KLE Absolute plugs on my tonearm cables (1877 Phono copper Litz) and I was a little disappointed. They soften the leading edges of transients too much for my tastes.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Salectric, as it ever was in this hobby
I've had feedback that the WBT are overly "hifi" and artificial leading edge
I'm veering twds the KLEI Absolute Harmony since the rest of my Sablon Reservas loom uses these
Thanks for yr input, one and all

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Salectric, as it ever was in this hobby
I've had feedback that the WBT are overly "hifi" and artificial leading edge
I'm veering twds the KLEI Absolute Harmony since the rest of my Sablon Reservas loom uses these
Thanks for yr input, one and all

I know exactly what that sounds like and it's not true, the WBT silver are the pinnacle of RCA plugs, KLEI is a cheaper alternative that doesn't match up... but nothing does and for the money KLEI are good. I won't use them because I don't like their design, there are other choices that sound about as good and are far more robust.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, sorry, you won't use the WBT or you won't use the KLEI?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, sorry, you won't use the WBT or you won't use the KLEI?

KLE, I don't like the plastic non-locking design. The ground shell of RCA jacks varies in diameter a lot. But as I said for the money they are very good, just not the best. But for about the same $ you can get Furutech FP-108(R) which have the same guts as the CF-102 and are a mechanically robust design.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, this is the nub of my enquiry
My Straingauge energiser has tripped a couple of times and Peter Lederman has suggested loose plugs from phono lead in the jacks may be to blame
And indeed, one of my current RCA plugs is not a snug secure fit
Now these plugs are not KLEI or WBT, may just be cheapo generic, so I'm looking to replace, and indeed if I want to guarantee this secure fit, locking WBT would fit the bill
However all my other ICs use KLEI and there are not any loose fitting issues w cdp, pre, monos

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, this is the nub of my enquiry
My Straingauge energiser has tripped a couple of times and Peter Lederman has suggested loose plugs from phono lead in the jacks may be to blame
And indeed, one of my current RCA plugs is not a snug secure fit
Now these plugs are not KLEI or WBT, may just be cheapo generic, so I'm looking to replace, and indeed if I want to guarantee this secure fit, locking WBT would fit the bill
However all my other ICs use KLEI and there are not any loose fitting issues w cdp, pre, monos

Yeah, I have not had issues with them being too loose, but some jacks are a tight fit. The plastic flexes enough it's not an issue but I still prefer a locking mechanism.

Gemini

Oct 14, 2015
Germany
Spirit, may I ask what custom silver cable you are using for you tonearm cable and what your impression is of the WBT RCAà.

I am think of rewiring my Triplanar (which is currently wired with a Discovery 4 plus cable) and am trying to figure out where to look.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gemeni, I went for the KLEI Pure Harmony in the end. Simply because the rest of my Sablon loom is terminated as such. So I can't really comment on others. Sorry not to be of help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing