A decent budget 'audiophile' streaming system?

fish fingers

May 11, 2015
Not sure if this is the right forum but I want advice on a plug in and play seperates streaming system for my new home in Bangkok. My budget is tight, up to £1750.
I currently use diy TL type speakers with ribbon tweeters.
I will use spotify tidal or itunes for most listening, from an ipad/macbookpro and samsung S8.
The separates I have in mind are the newish Oppo Sonica and an Abrahamsen V4.0 Up.
I want a detailed but non fatiguing sound. Most music is electronic/ rock (bowie etc)and occasional heavy stuff like sabbath.
Open to any suggestions..

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Have you considered the AURALiC Polaris? Another option would be the AURALiC Altair with your choice of amplifier. I'm not a huge fan of the Oppo signature. Both AURALiC and Oppo use the Sabre chipset, but the AURALiC is not as edgy.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I will suggest you to look for a Linn Majik DSM (you can also consider the older no HDMI input). Very reliable, easy to install and to update, excellent sound quality (no wireless, no bluetooth on-board or USB input, not a big lost IMHO). I've paired with several speakers including Martin Logan hybrid and the results were always very good. Tidal and Qobuz are very well integrated in the Linn app, put your own music on a NAS with minimserver installed (and customized ad hoc) and you will not regret.

fish fingers

May 11, 2015
Thanks guys. I looked at the auralic but my budget doesnt stretch, unless i buy used and go for a lesser amp. Not sure I want to go that route.
The Linn doesnt have the features I want (if i go for an older one)

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
The Linn doesnt have the features I want (if i go for an older one)

Functions and featurues are absolutely the same between the old (no HDMI) and the new one. What do you need exactly?

fish fingers

May 11, 2015
I probably need a bit more connectivity options. Ie the wife will want to connect her iphone/ bluetooth

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I probably need a bit more connectivity options. Ie the wife will want to connect her iphone/ bluetooth

Airplay is a much better option than bluetooth if you are using iDevices and is available on the Linn unit. Bluetooth can be added easily with a cheap device as the Project Bluetooth E.
Cheers

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think you should look into the entry level Peachtree Audio 2.0 integrateds. They have wonderful DAC implementations of the latest Sabre chip set, clean amplification, and include wireless/usb/toslink options.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing