Pantheon arrived !

Pantheon & Spirit_small.jpg
Gryphon Pantheon alongside the Vivid Giya G1 Spirit. These two speakers could not be more different.

Unboxed the Panteons on Friday, driven by and sat down on Saturday evening; drank a little wine, listened to the Pantheons - superb. Wonderful bass foundation, fully fleshed out, superb integration between the drivers & crossover. These deliver emotion in spades. I have no doubt that the Gryphon speakers will find a loyal following in N.America once music lovers hear the benefits of the Duelund Constant Phase crossover, which delivers constant phase to all drivers at all frequencies, at all times. Battery power to keep critical capacitors constantly charged. Ultra-fast Mundorf Air Motion Transformer tweeter, time aligned drivers.

Played Foy Vance - "She Burns" - moved Pandora to tears. Completely different presentation to Vivid; rich, dark, bass drums have so much impact, yet it's seamless. None of the drivers shout out, "Hey, look at me !"

The speakers are covered in plastic wrap, which I don't intend on removing until the speakers go out fthe Source AV in Torrance for the Gryphon launch at the beginning of September. Can't wait until we get the Trident II, with their 1kw RMS amp or 4kw peak power amp / 154 lb, just for the class AB amp that drives the four 8" woofers.

In the background on the floor, you can see a wooden crate; that contains a fully loaded Diablo 300.

Fun days !

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic...look forward to reading a lot more about Gryphon as you introduce us all to the family of amazing designs.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
DynAudio drivers? If so interesting.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Congratulations on the addition of yet another great line Philip!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They mostly use Seas, but the Pantheon has some Scanspesk woofers. The mids may be custom from Seas.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Yes sir and I am really excited about it :) My first piece will be a Colosseum Stereo amp with carbon fiber side panels with more gear to follow.

Scott

are you going to be a dealer

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
View attachment 34441
Gryphon Pantheon alongside the Vivid Giya G1 Spirit. These two speakers could not be more different.

Unboxed the Panteons on Friday, driven by and sat down on Saturday evening; drank a little wine, listened to the Pantheons - superb. Wonderful bass foundation, fully fleshed out, superb integration between the drivers & crossover. These deliver emotion in spades. I have no doubt that the Gryphon speakers will find a loyal following in N.America once music lovers hear the benefits of the Duelund Constant Phase crossover, which delivers constant phase to all drivers at all frequencies, at all times. Battery power to keep critical capacitors constantly charged. Ultra-fast Mundorf Air Motion Transformer tweeter, time aligned drivers.

Played Foy Vance - "She Burns" - moved Pandora to tears. Completely different presentation to Vivid; rich, dark, bass drums have so much impact, yet it's seamless. None of the drivers shout out, "Hey, look at me !"

The speakers are covered in plastic wrap, which I don't intend on removing until the speakers go out fthe Source AV in Torrance for the Gryphon launch at the beginning of September. Can't wait until we get the Trident II, with their 1kw RMS amp or 4kw peak power amp / 154 lb, just for the class AB amp that drives the four 8" woofers.

In the background on the floor, you can see a wooden crate; that contains a fully loaded Diablo 300.

Fun days !

I spent the latter part of yesterday afternoon at Philip's house just before he went for his daily 24 mile bike ride and had a chance to not only listen to the Pantheon but so also to the new fully loaded Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated stereo amplifier as Philip went through a description of the entire Gryphon line for me. This is a huge product line

We listened entirely to digital files coming USB out of Philip's laptop into the back of the stereo amp which according to Philip has about 20 amps class A and the remaining 280 watts Class A/B

This was a killer amp. It had 10 inputs

The amp itself has an MSRP of $16K but also had a loaded DAC for an additional $6K as well as a phono stage for and additional $2200 bringing the cost of this fully loaded amp to $24K which with the $52K speaker brought the system to ~$75K

The remote control was space age.

Philip tells me as well that there are filters inside the Diablo 300 which can be adjusted depending on what is being played

The speakers' finish reminded me of the Wilson piano gloss black

The speakers weren't in their final position yet in Philip's room as they were for now positioned between his beautiful new Vivid Spirit in Pearl White

As for the sound I thought it was wonderful. The speakers have yet to be burned in but what I heard really had me drawn in. I found there to be a very accurate presentation from top to bottom (which for this speaker is 25 Hz).

Philip played a lot of his demo disk 19 which has several deep bass tracks and at ear bleeding levels and these speakers never so much as hiccoughed.

There was a lot of air between the strings and everything sounded the way it should. The set up technique is not difficult. I did notice the speakers had a sharp toe in. The soundstage was huge and very realistic

The session was all too brief but with this speaker being the second from the entry level speakers the line I was thoroughly entertained. '

It is great to have Gryphon back in the USA and I know with Philip's guidance I am certain it will easily find its market of listeners.

IIRC the speakers were 96dB efficient

I plan on going back for another listen once Philip figures out how to configure the filters on the amp

The other caveat I came away with is that Gryphon amplifier crates are all fully collapsible that come apart easily for storage and are held together by clips

I'll have more to say tomorrow about Gryphon as Philip explained to me but right now is Game of Thrones :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing