USB Cable Choice

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Interesting adamaley. I would put forward the Lush USB cable. Same price as the Curious, which I also have been testing. But I seem to prefer the Lush. I am running Zingali horns and the Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC, so lots of detail and dynamics already. The Curious is a bit bright / cold possibly. The Lush has great body and sounds more like vinyl if that is possible, that sort of direction. However it losses little if anything in decay and micro details.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
More important is that Astro should step up his transport game. WinServer 2016 AO setup will BLOW away his MacMini front end. THEN he will be cooking with gas. LoL

Good point, but not as accurate as you may think. I am burning up on Gas IMO, not cooking.
I have maxed out my Mac Mini, so DC supply from an LPS, no monitor, no bluetooth, stripped back system, no fan, SSD HD. It sounds marvellous on Roon. I have demo'd a couple of server at home and they were no better, just sideways move. In fact the Aurrender I tried was a bit dark for my taste. So WinServer maybe good, but may also not be better...... Not on subject but I have a hate thing for Windozes, it is a flash back to my design past, can't help it, sorry about that. Linux better, where I would go if dumping Mac OS.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Interesting adamaley. I would put forward the Lush USB cable. Same price as the Curious, which I also have been testing. But I seem to prefer the Lush. I am running Zingali horns and the Aries Cerat Kassandra DAC, so lots of detail and dynamics already. The Curious is a bit bright / cold possibly. The Lush has great body and sounds more like vinyl if that is possible, that sort of direction. However it losses little if anything in decay and micro details.

I was looking for a significant improvement over the TotalDAC USB cable, which was degrees better than the Curious in technicalities in my system yet subjectively significantly better. Based on knowledge gathered from a long standing USB comparison thread on CA, and other sites, I extrapolated that the Lush cable sits in the same realm as the Curious and TotalDAC - a majority have reported preference for those two over the Lush, with the occasional preference for the Lush.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I was looking for a significant improvement over the TotalDAC USB cable, which was degrees better than the Curious in technicalities in my system yet subjectively significantly better. Based on knowledge gathered from a long standing USB comparison thread on CA, and other sites, I extrapolated that the Lush cable sits in the same realm as the Curious and TotalDAC - a majority have reported preference for those two over the Lush, with the occasional preference for the Lush.

The Lush is the polar opposite of the Curious, as in reduced treble energy and a tiny loss of decay and detail, BUT it kills in the body and weight stakes. It sounds so natural. Like a sugar rush, detail is intoxicating and attractive, we rush towards it. But the Lush nails it with the right amount of treble energy, and if you give it time, you realise it is all there, just not over egged or too much (sugar) on the cake. I am actually most probably going to keep the Curious for a while, to ensure I have this correct. But so far, the Lush is the business.

It is both ridiculous and technically wrong that we have ANY parts in the signal chain that are not transparent. I agree with that and the techies who bang on about transparency. But I am thinking some things in the chain can actually bring some things in the FR too forward, so even though they are transparent, they over egg it. My target sound is good vinyl or live. I don't try and compare to other DACs.

On the TotalDAC USB, I had the original cable but with a different DAC, and using an M2Tech EVO full stack at that time. So USB > M2Tech >SPDIF > DAC. The TotalDAC cable is great in a noisy server situation, but I felt it slowed things down while cleaning the line. If you have a clean server you don't need a filter type of cable IMO. The later 1.8K TotalDAC cable is supposed to be better, but my view is, if the source is clean enough, you don't need the filtering. Less parts = less loss.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
The Lush is the polar opposite of the Curious, as in reduced treble energy and a tiny loss of decay and detail, BUT it kills in the body and weight stakes. It sounds so natural. Like a sugar rush, detail is intoxicating and attractive, we rush towards it. But the Lush nails it with the right amount of treble energy, and if you give it time, you realise it is all there, just not over egged or too much (sugar) on the cake. I am actually most probably going to keep the Curious for a while, to ensure I have this correct. But so far, the Lush is the business.

It is both ridiculous and technically wrong that we have ANY parts in the signal chain that are not transparent. I agree with that and the techies who bang on about transparency. But I am thinking some things in the chain can actually bring some things in the FR too forward, so even though they are transparent, they over egg it. My target sound is good vinyl or live. I don't try and compare to other DACs.

On the TotalDAC USB, I had the original cable but with a different DAC, and using an M2Tech EVO full stack at that time. So USB > M2Tech >SPDIF > DAC. The TotalDAC cable is great in a noisy server situation, but I felt it slowed things down while cleaning the line. If you have a clean server you don't need a filter type of cable IMO. The later 1.8K TotalDAC cable is supposed to be better, but my view is, if the source is clean enough, you don't need the filtering. Less parts = less loss.

Great datapoints there with your wide experience with these USB cables. I'll be interested in your take on the Sablon cable if you ever get a chance to hear it. Sablon also has an improved Elite version which is considered better than the one I have. I'm also hearing good things about the Goebel USB cable.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Some nice fb just in from Austria on the powered Elite usb cable on a Chord Dave

I tested your USB cable for about two hours now vs. both the Curious and Phasure Lush. Its tonality seems to be quite exactly in between those two cables. So, in every combination before now, tonality was a bit off (too lean in combination with the Curious, too warm with the Lush). Nevertheless, it is clear, that your cable is superior to the other two cables. Especially soundstage (3D!) and separation are much better. The sound is both resolving and natural/relaxed. It is fast, with perfect timing and a black background. Highly resolving, but not sibilant. The best of all worlds. Initially, it seemed slightly bass-light with some tracks, but I do not have this impression any more. Especially (female) voices, singer/songwriter and many pop tracks sound considerably better. I am quite impressed. Congrats on this fine cable!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Some nice fb just in from Austria on the powered Elite usb cable on a Chord Dave

I tested your USB cable for about two hours now vs. both the Curious and Phasure Lush. Its tonality seems to be quite exactly in between those two cables. So, in every combination before now, tonality was a bit off (too lean in combination with the Curious, too warm with the Lush). Nevertheless, it is clear, that your cable is superior to the other two cables. Especially soundstage (3D!) and separation are much better. The sound is both resolving and natural/relaxed. It is fast, with perfect timing and a black background. Highly resolving, but not sibilant. The best of all worlds. Initially, it seemed slightly bass-light with some tracks, but I do not have this impression any more. Especially (female) voices, singer/songwriter and many pop tracks sound considerably better. I am quite impressed. Congrats on this fine cable!

If you want me to test your Sablon cable v the Curious and Lush on my Kassandra DAC, I would be most willing. If I like it, I'll buy it AND post a review on here. If I don't like it, I'll pay to ship it back to you. Sound fair?:rolleyes:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Good point, but not as accurate as you may think. I am burning up on Gas IMO, not cooking.
I have maxed out my Mac Mini, so DC supply from an LPS, no monitor, no bluetooth, stripped back system, no fan, SSD HD. It sounds marvellous on Roon. I have demo'd a couple of server at home and they were no better, just sideways move. In fact the Aurrender I tried was a bit dark for my taste. So WinServer maybe good, but may also not be better...... Not on subject but I have a hate thing for Windozes, it is a flash back to my design past, can't help it, sorry about that. Linux better, where I would go if dumping Mac OS.
Sorry I missed his before.

Mac is Unix/Linux. Similar thing...as is Aurender etc.

Windows has more body and is a more direct OS for music. The same buddy that may go demo his server to you was convinced he could emualte anything in Lunux and crashed and burned sonically. Admitted defeat and is now solidly Windows.

No Mac can match this, and like you I am a Mac lover too.

BTW, your mods are admirable, but ony scratch the surface. LoL.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Sorry I missed his before.

Mac is Unix/Linux. Similar thing...as is Aurender etc.

Windows has more body and is a more direct OS for music. The same buddy that may go demo his server to you was convinced he could emualte anything in Lunux and crashed and burned sonically. Admitted defeat and is now solidly Windows.

No Mac can match this, and like you I am a Mac lover too.

BTW, your mods are admirable, but ony scratch the surface. LoL.

Show me some facts based reports Wisnon, that state Windows beats Linux as you say, or is this another 'fact' from your library of facts?:roll eyes:

Please can you detail your own system, and did you come to this realisation by your own system?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hello Winson is good friend for some years now. I built him his first server of Windows years ago , let's not digress into a pro or con of OS. both have some virtues in using them and sound.
The man I think Winson is posting of is also a friend I am the reason he does windows . He was convinced of Linux in sound and felt coz of its simplicity had to be the key to better compared to Windows heavy resource needs. A Linux needs less pure power too.
The overall point is Linux is thin and lacks note decay that windows has. The win os matters plenty win 10 is not great no matter who uses it or tweaks it.
A simple test of weight is a piano , horns. These instruments need weight or hang time to sound full. Linux is a fast decay sound .
Like DSP is. It's not bad but if you do an A N B the sound is obvious .
Do you have a date to hear his severs ?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Hello Winson is good friend for some years now. I built him his first server of Windows years ago , let's not digress into a pro or con of OS. both have some virtues in using them and sound.
The man I think Winson is posting of is also a friend I am the reason he does windows . He was convinced of Linux in sound and felt coz of its simplicity had to be the key to better compared to Windows heavy resource needs. A Linux needs less pure power too.
The overall point is Linux is thin and lacks note decay that windows has. The win os matters plenty win 10 is not great no matter who uses it or tweaks it.
A simple test of weight is a piano , horns. These instruments need weight or hang time to sound full. Linux is a fast decay sound .
Like DSP is. It's not bad but if you do an A N B the sound is obvious .
Do you have a date to hear his severs ?

Two things. First if we are to continue this discussion, it needs to move to a new thread or into the computer audio section.
Second, I just don't believe you. I am sorry, you cannot possibly state one system categorically sounds better than another. There are many great sounding servers in both Linux or Windows. No facts out there to state a clear winner hear.

Also the build of the system, the parts used, the system version (update) so many factors here.

Wisnon, can you detail your system please? Your profile is way out of date? It states you run the L4 and Nad £800 amp, is that correct? To test leading edge greatness of this or that system, it needs to be heard in a very high end system to do that IMO.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Feel free to move the thread and I will not post of severs here.
If you want to see my system go to the pacific in the house Thread it’s listed there.
As for OS sounds I did many posts on CPA forums. There is no defacto specs why and most all want one over the other not based on sound alone. Linux is the new hot OS as such it must be better right. Windows must be bought so very few made servers offer it.
I have been doing this for years and there are clear differences between them. If you search fourms you will find the proof you seek from honest posters. No builder will say another os is better of they don’t use it. And if someone owns an aurender or other linux based server will comment truthfully it’s just how it goes.
Don’t take my words as bashing what you have it’s just honest comments made
From my years of experience innusing them and building them. I don’t make anything so I have no dog in this fight most all
Do due to money spent or makers. I don’t fit in this catagry
While there may be systems that may sound better in Linux it still sounds as it does period. And if I sat next to you playing both the look on your face would tell the tail perfectly
I know coz I have done so many times for people. Enjoy what you have and in no way am
I clAiming what you have is bad but I am clAiming there is major changes in Os sounds.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Feel free to move the thread and I will not post of severs here.
If you want to see my system go to the pacific in the house Thread it’s listed there.
As for OS sounds I did many posts on CPA forums. There is no defacto specs why and most all want one over the other not based on sound alone. Linux is the new hot OS as such it must be better right. Windows must be bought so very few made servers offer it.
I have been doing this for years and there are clear differences between them. If you search fourms you will find the proof you seek from honest posters. No builder will say another os is better of they don’t use it. And if someone owns an aurender or other linux based server will comment truthfully it’s just how it goes.
Don’t take my words as bashing what you have it’s just honest comments made
From my years of experience innusing them and building them. I don’t make anything so I have no dog in this fight most all
Do due to money spent or makers. I don’t fit in this catagry
While there may be systems that may sound better in Linux it still sounds as it does period. And if I sat next to you playing both the look on your face would tell the tail perfectly
I know coz I have done so many times for people. Enjoy what you have and in no way am
I clAiming what you have is bad but I am clAiming there is major changes in Os sounds.

Respect your reply Alrainbow, thank you.

I was more asking Wisnon to list his system, to back up his statement / personal finding. Why no up to date system profile?.

Maybe another subject, maybe not, but I get a tired of personal statements thrown out as 'fact'. On here we need info to back it up, if we are to keep stating a personal opinion as fact. Then we can all learn from information from others and take that on board. I am an open guy, want to keep moving up the mountain of knowledge etc etc, but likewise have to be suspicious of 'facts' until proven. I sounds like Trump and fake news / conspiracy theories, but you get my drift. Nuff said.:b

ingemar

May 21, 2013
Gothenburg(Sweden)
Hi all.
Need some advice regarding usb cable swap,at the moment i'm using a transparent premium cable to feed my lampizator GG dac.I have 2 cables in mind,Mad scientist black magic or audio sensibility signature,any thoughts??
Kindly/Ingemar

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Final touch Audio from Serbia is superb. Phasure Lush with power cutter is very nice too. Unpowered is the way to go in a Lampi.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
@Ingemar - unpowered is a good suggestion to remove a source of noise and I sell quite of few of these cables to owners of dacs using the Amanero usb input like Lampizator and T&A. The majority of servers are happy with this, though a minority won't operate without seeing a voltage line for hand shake / recognition purposes.

toetapaudio

Feb 13, 2017
Forest of Dean UK
Hi all.
Need some advice regarding usb cable swap,at the moment i'm using a transparent premium cable to feed my lampizator GG dac.I have 2 cables in mind,Mad scientist black magic or audio sensibility signature,any thoughts??
Kindly/Ingemar

@ingemar, you might want to take a look at my post no.50.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing