Oppo UHD 203/205 - modifications, improvements, discussions...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
There are indeed, some few models linear PSUs for Oppo players on market right now. I did not made myself a comparative test of those versus mine, but I have examined it carefully, by published pictures and descriptions. If I should say that my LPS it is the most complete, most sophisticated and high quality design, I may be accused for lack of modesty. So, I will not say that...;)

Coris, you are just too modest. :b

Jon raines

Jan 7, 2018
There’s seems to be digital versions of the lps for the 203 on eBay , what’s the differences between the two versions and do I need that model.

Running a full meridian digital theatre system

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
What may you mean about "digital" LPS versions?
A LPS is a linear/analogue power supply, delivering power which it can be used for both digital or analogue devices/loads. A such power supply it deliver power with a very low noise level, but it may produce a certain thermal energy, which it increase much, as the necessary power for the powered device it may be higher.
Another power supply version is the SMPS (switching mode power supply), which it produce/deliver DC power using a switching mode technology. This power supply is characterised by almost none thermal dissipation for quite high power levels, very good energy efficiency, very low cost, but the DC power on its output it have an enough high level HF noises (resulted from its switching working mode).
Powering a digital system from a analogue/linear PSU it reduce dramatically the overall noises in the whole powered system. Such powering is not recommended for high power systems, as the thermal dissipation may be quite important. Also the energy efficiency it decrease very much when about high power devices/loads. A balanced compromise it may be taken into consideration.
For Oppo 203 there are indeed on market few linear power supply versions.

Jon raines

Jan 7, 2018
Thanks for your reply Coris,
If you take a peek on eBay UK for the Oppo 203 lps you will find what they describe as standard edition for £72 upwards and digital edition/version from £175 upwards and some for around the £350 mark now I don’t have a problem spending that kind of money on an upgrade but I’d rather like to know that I bought the best available,I followed your own build for the 203 lps and indeed the one from Oppo mod and was still left wondering are all lps created equal and whose should I purchase ,could you offer any such advice.

All the best Jonathan

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
The LPS on market today are of course not equal designed. Each designer it have his own criteria for a such design. The economical factor (production costs) is also important. As usual one may design for the lowest possible production cost, and a lower final selling price.
If you ask for my advice, then I will strongly recommend my LPS. It is the only one which it use a R core transformer, customised for lowest possible thermal dissipation, and double shielded. My LPS it include now also a DC blocking filter, in addition to the standard HF filter (for main AC input). Only my LPS it use very large filtering capacities, making so the provided power comparable with the one from a battery. Only my LPS it provide a low noise power section for an optional ventilation fan (very recommended using it, and included in my kit). Also my last LPS version it provide a supplementary linear power for circuitry inside main board, replacing one of the small SMPS on board (responsable for optical drive processor, and for the processor responsable for HDMI audio only output - 205).
Also my LPS it transport the power through a particularly configured flat cable, and it use the remote current sensing approach, for the best regulation and lowest possible ripple. All these above feathers are not to be found at the other LPS designers for Oppo devices use. And the price for my LPS (203) is under the one you mentioned (350£)...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Mainly yes. The last version of my LPS it provide power for circuitry inside main board (203/205), so a modification it have to be made on main board, to benefit of this option. In this case the main board should be sent it to me. For this option, and when the main board is sent, then a complete upgrade for the digital stage (clock board as well) it may be more reasonable/convenient (only one shipping). All support for dismounting/mounting is included. Also a video is available for upgraded board/LPS installation.
My LPS version without this mentioned above improvement, it can be very easy installed by himself.

Jon raines

Jan 7, 2018
Are you familiar with vanity hd for the 203 ? Will it play nicely with your lps?do you know of similar alternatives?

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
I did actually an full upgrade (LPS, clock board) for a 103 device, with the Vanity HD board inside. Improved the Vanity board as well...;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Coris, is there something that you don't upgrade? :) ...The internal transport, but what about the transport's top cover and disc clamp? ...A 3-prong AC power cable?

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Coris, is there something that you don't upgrade? :) ...

Well, there are a lot actually.... I cannot upgrade all, but just a few...:D
BTW, the last one is Sonica DAC (full linear power supply, clock system, and post DAC output module). I think I will start a thread about...:)

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
There’s seems to be digital versions of the lps for the 203 on eBay , what’s the differences between the two versions and do I need that model.

Running a full meridian digital theatre system

If you're not using the analog outs of the Oppo, you'll want to consider the digital only LPS. I purchased the ZeroZone digital only LPS (~$200 all in) and it's been a spectacular improvement for both video and digital audio outputs - because of not only the LPS itself but removing the noisy analog board output from the equation (it's no longer powered).

Jon raines

Jan 7, 2018
Coris Does your LPS have the ability to disable the analog side if only the digital outputs are required?

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
My LPS it come already customised for the wanted way of using the player. If you are not interested in the analogue audio section of your 203, or will never use its RCA outputs, then the LPS it will be assembled so to power only the digital section. Also there are different prices for the LPS powering only the digital section, and the LPS complete version.
If you may ever want to use the analog audio section of your player, then you may chose the LPS complete version. Connecting/disconnecting the power for analog audio is very easy (plug or not in a connector).
BTW, the analog audio (DAC) section it can deliver very high quality after upgrades. Even thought the DAC chip (AKM) is a cheap one it is capable of very high performances, delivering on the same level as an Sabre chip. I was very surprised myself to experience such.
The analogue audio section of 203 it can also benefit (by upgrades) of stereo XLR outputs in addition to the existent 8 channels...

Bellow are pictured the two versions of an upgraded 203.
203 Upgraded digital.jpg

203 Fully upgraded.jpg

Last edited:

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Well, the only difference in these two cases, is the audio (DAC) board, which is present in one device, while in another one it is removed.
In the device where the audio stage is functional, one can see the original audio board (improved), as added the stereo XLR fully differential module (based on OPA1632 opamp). Also a relay mute circuit, and XLR connectors are added as a supplementary modul. The XLR connectors are nicely integrated on the rear panel. On this device, the LPS is in its complete version, providing power for DAC board as well.
In the other 203 device the DAC board is missing, and this is beneficial for improving ventilation inside enclosure.
Please remark that for both devices, the chassis is also modified (replaced the side panels with new ones) for improving the forced ventilation. Some airflow guides are added for the same purpose. Low working temperature it have a positive impact over the video quality, lowering the noises in picture.
Also common for both devices is the clock board, which it provide a centralised clock signal for all stages, powered from battery. The rechargeable battery it can run the player for more than continuous 20 hours, and it recharge, while the player is in standby/off.
Also both players it benefit of the improved mounting for the optical drive (double elastic suspensions, and mechanical balancing). Extended shielding and advanced grounding is also in common to the two pictured devices.

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Coris, It's quite impressive your dedication to wringing every bit of performance out of the Oppo players. Have you considered instead of drilling holes in the sides of the case, to instead use a heatspreader under the LPS as seen here with the LPS on my unit:

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Well, first I am not drilling ventilation holes into the chassis, improving so the device inside cooling. My approach is quite different. I have designed new side panels with ventilation openings, and these are to replace the original ones. The result you can see in the hereby pictures.
Second, my LPS it is provided with a large heatsink which is to be in thermal contact with the bottom of the chassis (see picture). We may not forget also, that the transformer itself it generate an amount of heat as well.

The ventilation is not very necessary because a linear power supply it is inside the chassis. If the 203 it can work at approx 40deg C. inside (for a room temp. of approx 20 deg. C.), then it can for sure work at 50 deg. C or more, as well. If the heatsink of the main processor it measure 45deg. C as usual, the jonctions temperature of the components inside the main processor it may reach to 70deg. C, or even more...
We may not forget that the heat is not only spread through the chassis and out. An important part of the heat it get/remain inside too, and it just accumulate there, if no any ventilation. This inside existent heat it should be exhausted somehow, to keep the device at a lowest possible working temperature.
However, even a low amount of generated heat, that is added to the existing one generated by the main processor itself, in a very low profile enclosure. All these factors it can lead to increasing the overall heat inside quite much. The 203 enclosure is not designed with any idea in mind for a whatsoever ventilation approach. More, keeping the working device at a lowest possible temperature (room temperature) it is highly beneficial for the video quality purposes.
My ventilation preoccupation in case of 203, is not mainly because a linear PSU is inside (my LPS it dissipate very low heat), but for lowering as much as possible the working temperature for the whole device. This simple measure it have as result, increasing the picture quality performances, as increasing the components/device overall life (not a preoccupation of the device designers either...).

Attachments

• LPM203-205.jpg
    LPM203-205.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 32
  • SidePanel2.jpg
    SidePanel2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Bar81

Mar 24, 2017
Quite interesting. If I wasn't using my 203 for only Blu-ray playback, I think I would definitely be in touch as your efforts seem considerable for maximizing performance, but for my purposes, I was looking for a price reasonable solution in respect of the $600 price of the 203. I also already was using some excess HRS nimbus systems left over from my 2 channel system for proper isolation of the 203 (which otherwise would not make sense given their price).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing