Oppo UHD 203/205 - modifications, improvements, discussions...

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
New generation Oppo 4k plyers, new mods and improvements...

Attachments

• LPM203-205.jpg
    LPM203-205.jpg
    986.9 KB · Views: 1,915
  • Oppo 203 - XLR stereo output.jpg
    Oppo 203 - XLR stereo output.jpg
    882.5 KB · Views: 1,988
  • LPM-205.jpg
    LPM-205.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 2,048
Last edited:

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
The finished linear power supply approach for 205. Next step, the clock system...

Attachments

• LPM-205.jpg
    LPM-205.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 1,736

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
This linear PSU (LPM) it can be customised for US main AC standards as well (110 - 120v).

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
just bought an Oppo UDP-2O3 (not really interested in mods for better audio) and a 65" version of one of these.....

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a1e-series

picture blows me away. my wife and I are watching the 4K 'Nature II' right now and it's memorizing.

I guess I'm going to have to get my Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4k projector upgraded with the new boards so I can input 4k material. I bought it 5 years ago but rarely use it. finally there is 4k media worth watching.

Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
just bought an Oppo UDP-2O3 (not really interested in mods for better audio) and a 65" version of one of these.....

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/a1e-series

picture blows me away. my wife and I are watching the 4K 'Nature II' right now and it's memorizing.

I guess I'm going to have to get my Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4k projector upgraded with the new boards so I can input 4k material. I bought it 5 years ago but rarely use it. finally there is 4k media worth watching.

Mike,

Planet Earth 2 in 4K is the most unforgettable video experience I've had. You should check it out.

Lee

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
The improvements presented/proposed here for both 203 and 205 devices, does not target only the audio section of these devices.
A linear power supply for the digital stage of the players, it have dramatically positive impact over the both picture and audio (either analogue outputs or HDMI audio) quality.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The improvements presented/proposed here for both 203 and 205 devices, does not target only the audio section of these devices.
A linear power supply for the digital stage of the players, it have dramatically positive impact over the both picture and audio (either analogue outputs or HDMI audio) quality.

Thanks Coris; that was important what you just mentioned here...not only an improvement on the audio side but also on the video side.
_____

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
I have just made some measurements on the analogue power system on stereo board of 205. Very disappointing result! This power system it suffer of a fully wrong filtering. It looks like Oppo had the intention to strongly spare on µF for the filtering capacities... I found on +/- power rails for opamps on board, over 200mV (100Hz) ripple. The worst case is about the main power rail for DACs power system. Here the ripple is about 350mV for a 6,3vDC. From this rail it is powered the regulator for the clock oscillators for the DAC chips... This is not good at all!

Last edited:

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
The new version of my Clock board (battery powered). Mainly the same approach as before (SAW oscillator for 27Mhz, and high quality TXCO for 25Mhz), and now using a smaller battery. Smaller board dimensions, shorter charging time, the same very long time functioning (over 12 continuous hours), are some of the improvements of the new board design. This last version clock board it fit for use on all Oppo models.

Attachments

• New version Clock Board - Oppo 203-205.jpg
    New version Clock Board - Oppo 203-205.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 758

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
My last version of a fully modded 203 (including fully differential XLR stereo outputs, added to the original audio analogue configuration).

VsmaURy.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Coris, that looks like extensive modification from its original ? state. It looks very high end too.

Oppo 203 original

Some simple questions for you:

1. Are you using it yourself, or the mod 205?
2. Is music priority over images, or equal?
3. How long does it take for the full mod?
4. Did you make more than one and if yes what feedback do you get from users?
5. Cost, in US dollars?

Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: justubes

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Indeed, what you see in my previous picture is an extensive improvement for a 203 device. A complete improvement I can say, as it touch all the areas this device it can get improvements (as I know so far...):
-Linear power supply for both digital stage as analogue stage.
-Clock system based on SAW oscillator for main processor, and a precision TXCO for optical drive processor. All powered by battery.
-Fully improved audio DAC board (power system on board, DAC power system, added full balanced stereo XLR outputs, to the existing 8 RCA channels)
-Optical drive mounted on double elastic suspensions, and mechanically stabilised.
-Extended grounding and shielding, as improved ventilation

Answering to your questions...
1. Mainly the modifications for 203 (as pictured) are made on demand. I then use myself the modded device for a short while for testing and some fine tuning reasons. The improvements for 205 model (which I own it myself), are under preparing/development, and very soon available. The already available upgrade for 205 model, the linear power supply (LPM) it can be seen in the picture hereby.
2. The improvements in both cases (203-205) are targeting both picture and sound. Linear PSU for digital stage as clock system improvements it have dramatic impact over the picture quality. The rest of the improvements are directed to the sound quality increasing.
3. A fully improved 203 device working time it may take into two weeks.
4. Yes, it was done it more than once, and the mod approaches it was improved itself since the first modded device. As you can see, the improvisations in this work are mostly eradicated, and particular modules it was designed and produced for upgrading purposes. The overall result is accordingly... The feedback is only positive so far, but mostly in French...
5. An max overall price for a full upgrade (as pictured) it may come up to 1300$.

Attachments

• LPM - 205A.jpg
    LPM - 205A.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Merci Coris pour toutes ces informations utiles.

Connaissez-vous beaucoup de Norvégiens qui parlent le français, un peu, pas mal, ou très bien? Est-ce qu'ils essaient volontiers de vous parler dans cette langue?

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have read that French is offered @ school to the children...French immersion.
But true, French is not a popular speaking language in Norway.
When you mentioned most of your customers as being francophones, I was wondering about their origin, their country.
I did some quick searching about Norway, and I thought about France, and even French Canadians.

Thanks Coris for the two links; it is always a benefit to expand our horizons.
And what you share here with us, I share with the people who have an invested interest in your work, because I like what you do; improving sound and picture.

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Improving audio stage for all Oppo models.

My new version fully differential XLR/RCA output module. Now with TPA6120 as buffer for RCA out. Ultra low noise regulators for each differential stage (OPA1632), with huge decoupling capacities.

FullyDifferentialOutputModule-XLR-RCA.jpg

Coris

May 27, 2016
Norway
Working further on 205...

The improvements so far: Massive primary filtering capacity. Replaced the original rectifier diodes, with Schottky. Replaced the original +/- regulators with LM2991/2941, mounted on a new designed module. Added pre regulators for DAC power rails: one regulator for the digital DAC power rails, and one regulator dedicated to the analogue power rails (AvccL/R). This last pre regulator it use the multi-channel board DAC power, which it became available, as I will not use that board/outputs. In case the multi-channel board should be used, then there is a solution, by keeping this pre regulator in same place.
The main problem for the original analogue power stage is the very high ripple at the low noise regulators inputs, because a wrong dimensioned power source as poor filtering. Now is corrected and improved.

Attachments

• AnaloguePowerStage-205.jpg
    AnaloguePowerStage-205.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 654

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing