Ikeda KAI or My sonic labs platinum sig.

Op133

Jul 9, 2017
I'm using an IKEDA KAI on Graham Elite on AF2 from TechDas. Itching to add a new cart, MSL platinum. Would like to have some opinions whether it's worthy to go for it. I have a second Arm Acoustics System AXIOM waiting for the Arm board to arrive. I'm thinking to have the 2 Arm combo, one with KAI one with MSL Platinum. I have a VDH colibri XPW which is a bit picky on phono amp. I connect the LP system to a CH P1, CH L1 PreAmp and Gryphon Mephisto to drive Kharma Midi 2.1.

Thanks for your ideas and opinions.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I suggest you to buy MSL Platinum.

I also have CH L1,P1 and X1 and i have an Air tight Opus 1 that with P1 in current is a perfect match
Opus 1 i think is similar to MSL Platinum,so i am sure can be a perfect match
I also have Colibri XGP but i don't like a lot and i sold.

Op133

Jul 9, 2017
I suggest you to buy MSL Platinum.

I also have CH L1,P1 and X1 and i have an Air tight Opus 1 that with P1 in current is a perfect match
Opus 1 i think is similar to MSL Platinum,so i am sure can be a perfect match
I also have Colibri XGP but i don't like a lot and i sold.

Thanks a lot for your advice, Gian60. I think the low imp cart like KAI or AT Opus1 and MSL match perfect the current mode of P1. I'm just wondering how better or different MSL Platinum will be over KAI? Is it worthy to go for MSL Platinum along with KAI?

Like you, i'm not that much into Colibri though it does carry with it some unique characters. And it is not so easy to handle (look risky) and match phono amps.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I never listen KAI,so i don't know which are the difference,
but sure MSL Platinum is a top cartridge,and difference of KAI

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I have an Ikeda Kai, recently purchased the gold signature, NO CONTEST, out of the box.

Op133

Jul 9, 2017
Thanks Dafos. It's good to have the feedback from a KAI owner about MSL. Though I heard MSL platinum carries a different flavor from gold, while the 2 should be very close in structure.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have an Ikeda Kai, recently purchased the gold signature, NO CONTEST, out of the box.

hello dafos,
You mean the Kai is way better than MSL Gold or vice versa?
Thank

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Why not try the TechDAS TD Ti or TD COI which are made with cooperation with MY Sonic Labs? :)

Op133

Jul 9, 2017
Finally I bought a MSL platinum and it has been working in my system for 20+ hours. TechDAS TD Ti is a bit more expensive while I think it should be similar to MSL due to the design.

Compared to KAI, MSL P is obviously a very different cart., with a more refined character, bigger dynamicsand sound stage and quieter background. It gives me an impression similar to a higher resolution photo compared to a lower resolution photo. Though KAI is still a good cart., warm, touching and easily gives an "analog" type of sound while MSL P sometimes gives you a false impression that it is a very good digital source. Of course it doesn't mean it sounds digital :)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Congratulations!

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
If your MSL Platinum is similar to my Opus 1,after 100 hours you will listen a big improvement on mid/high frequencies

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have listened to MSL gold sig. in a friend's house, it was great.

I agree. I recently compared my AirTight Supreme to my MSL Sig. Gold and wrote a thread about the two: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10183-My-Sonic-Labs-Gold-Signature-VS-Air-Tight-Supreme

The MSL is a superb cartridge. At the time, AirTight and MSL did not have the Opus and Platinum Sig. Those must be incredible.

Congratulations on the new cartridge. I agree, it will sound better after 100 hours. My Signature Gold took about 100 hours to be fully broken in.

Reactions: bazelio

Op133

Jul 9, 2017
Thanks PeterA and gian60 for sharing your experience. I'll let you know mine after 100+ hours' breaking-in. Interestingly, so far the MSL performance has been a bit up-and-down, but it is truly changing.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks PeterA and gian60 for sharing your experience. I'll let you know mine after 100+ hours' breaking-in. Interestingly, so far the MSL performance has been a bit up-and-down, but it is truly changing.

Dear Sir,

Any update on the MSL Plat in your system? Do you have it on the Axiom?

Kind regards,
Tang

Op133

Jul 9, 2017
Dear Sir,

Any update on the MSL Plat in your system? Do you have it on the Axiom?

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tango, I didn't count the accumulative hours of the MSL Platinum but I guess it is about to reach 100 hours. I'm still waiting for the mounting board of Axiom on my AF2 therefore I don't have the Cartridge on it yet. It is still mounted on the Graham Elite. After these days, the MSL P stabilized with a more balanced character compared to its debut performance. The first experience was more impressive due to the sharp comparison with KAI and along with the time, in fact also considering my ears getting used to it, the MSL sounds more neutral and the mid-low performance enhanced significantly. I'm looking forward to mounting it on Axiom to see how the chemistry works.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have a Bergmann Galder TT with an Odin arm, which had a ZYX Optimum cartridge, which I unfortunately damaged by hitting the cantelever with a record. Instead of replacing it with a retipped Optimum, Today I installed a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum since I loved the combination of the Bergmann with an Air Tight Opus 1, and the MSL Platinum is from the same designer. Although I have less than 2 hours on it I already love it. I never understood why so many people love Cat Stevens Tea For The Tillerman, until I played it today. I cannot wait till the cartridge has 100+ hourw.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing