5th AudioExotics Super Hi-End Show

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I dont get all the Divin hype!Uber speakers are common.

Tidal/Goldmund/Stenheim/Von Sch/Martens/Perfect 8/Vox Olympian/Genesis/Avante G/Wilson/Magico/etc...

Many giant killers too. Giant killers would be where I would expect extreme hype, like the Tekton who make massive claim and reportedly sound excellent for the money.
Personally, I am even more interested in off beat design like Apogee, certain horns, Heil drivers, Transverse wave drivers like Podium, Unified drivers, Bending wave, Linear Motion Tech, 5 octave drivers, and plasma tweeters.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I dont get all the Divin hype!Uber speakers are common.

not so much. what is common is seeing attention for uber speakers like 'uber' anything. it's what draws us in to the event. and then it becomes what we talk about so it's present constantly, which is different that actually physically encountering the speaker.

actual 'uber' speakers present in real world systems is un-common. and maybe it depends on how we define 'uber'.

Tidal/Goldmund/Stenheim/Von Sch/Martens/Perfect 8/Vox Olympian/Genesis/Avante G/Wilson/Magico/etc...

Many giant killers too. Giant killers would be where I would expect extreme hype, like the Tekton who make massive claim and reportedly sound excellent for the money.

we see that proper care and feeding of moderate level designs can be very satisfying. but we do run into limits of what the speaker can tell us about what better and better gear and rooms can deliver. your list above of 'uber' brands do need exceptional set-up and tweaking to earn their keep. but the ceiling does go much higher.

Personally, I am even more interested in f beat design like Apogee, certain horns, Heil drivers, Transverse wave drivers like Podium, Unified drivers, Bending wave, Linear Motion Tech, 5 octave drivers, and plasma tweeters.

I think you are attracted to designs that make small spaces big sounding. make rooms disappear. it's a completely satisfying picture, if not the whole picture, but great when it happens. and it does transport you.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
we see that proper care and feeding of moderate level designs can be very satisfying. but we do run into limits of what the speaker can tell us about what better and better gear and rooms can deliver. your list above of 'uber' brands do need exceptional set-up and tweaking to earn their keep. but the ceiling does go much higher.
Maybe I am luckier than most. Recall where I live...LoL

I have heard the EA MM3s several times, Genesis and IRS-V a few times, The Stenheim Ref Statement for a whole afternoon, The Goldmund Apologue and Anatta (Super easy to set up due to DSP/DRC), and I hope to hear the L'Assolutas soon enough. At shows I have heard the Lansches, The AG Trio, the huge Fischer und Fischer Granite speakers, Baches and Muller flagship, the top LumenWhites, Top MBL, full press demo for a complete FM Acoustics setup, Complete Audio Tekne setup, the largest Sonus speakers, The largest Wilsons and a few others. I dd manage to miss the ML Neoliths and the Vox Olympian...sigh.

Point is, I heard enough of the uber highend outside of shows to have a good understanding of what's possible. To go even higher, I think we may need to explore off beat tech even more!

Imagine well implemented uber speaker with giant Heil drivers in a line array and a corona super tweeter mated to manger bending wave driver and Ripole bass towers and a separate transverse wave Podium speaker style tower (ribbons matched to exciters)? All implemented in active config and with an arc like geometry? That could potentially raise the bar while going via the road least travelled!

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Maybe I am luckier than most. Recall where I live...LoL

I have heard the EA MM3s several times, Genesis and IRS-V a few times, The Stenheim Ref Statement for a whole afternoon, The Goldmund Apologue and Anatta (Super easy to set up due to DSP/DRC), and I hope to hear the L'Assolutas soon enough. At shows I have heard the Lansches, The AG Trio, the huge Fischer und Fischer Granite speakers, Baches and Muller flagship, the top LumenWhites, Top MBL, full press demo for a complete FM Acoustics setup, Complete Audio Tekne setup, the largest Sonus speakers, The largest Wilsons and a few others. I dd manage to miss the ML Neoliths and the Vox Olympian...sigh.

sure; but as a slice of somewhat serious 2 channel audio those systems are scarce, and many are at shows or are reviewers, or dealers or manufacturers.....which don't count. and let's face it, you are not the normal guy as far as seeking the finest systems......you are at the far end of the bell curve. so your generalization that these 'uber' speakers are common is very, very, uncommon.

Point is, I heard enough of the uber highend outside of shows to have a good understanding of what's possible. To go even higher, I think we may need to explore off beat tech even more!

Imagine well implemented uber speaker with giant Heil drivers in a line array and a corona super tweeter mated to manger bending wave driver and Ripole bass towers and a separate transverse wave Podium speaker style tower (ribbons matched to exciters)? All implemented in active config and with an arc like geometry? That could potentially raise the bar while going via the road least travelled!

it's easy to see that almost all 'uber' speaker systems are traditional dynamic cone affairs, since that is what 'uber' customers seem to prefer.

and the risk to build an 'off beat' one so far has been too great for it to have happened (horns and MBL's the exceptions maybe).

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
All true...but you can see why the Divin overhype is just a yawnfest for me.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Attachments

• 604.jpg
    604.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 357

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spirit , AC ... Here you go .

The rooms in descending order of preference...

...The Third room was the Wadax /Zanden /Gobel room . While it had immense heroic potential , it only offered a glimpse of its grandstanding capabilities . For me it didn't come together, to be aurally convincing as a whole . I put this down to maybe a learning curve for AE on how to make the DIVIN sing , it being new to their stable . Figuring out the correct amp - speaker interface along with cable voicing and other such finer points . Given the above , I would like to reserve judgement on the DIVIN , until I hear it hopefully at a later date....

Hey Jazzhead,...have you heard the Goebel Divin since?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Spirit , AC ... Here you go .

The rooms in descending order of preference...

...The Third room was the Wadax /Zanden /Gobel room . While it had immense heroic potential , it only offered a glimpse of its grandstanding capabilities . For me it didn't come together, to be aurally convincing as a whole . I put this down to maybe a learning curve for AE on how to make the DIVIN sing , it being new to their stable . Figuring out the correct amp - speaker interface along with cable voicing and other such finer points . Given the above , I would like to reserve judgement on the DIVIN , until I hear it hopefully at a later date....

Hey Jazzhead...have you heard the Goebel Divin since?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing