Positioning the new Reference SACD SA10 from Marantz

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I am very keen to know what you make of the latest reference SACD DAC Player from Marantz SA10.

Where do you see this unit fits from technology and results in relation to the best such players or separates.

Is it just another good mid range unit or does it reach greater heights?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Will provide feedback once I audition but it's going to be delayed until my Cary dies.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi John,

Your location is showing that you are in Saudi Arabia, but I am wondering if you can give a call to Music Direct in the USA - when your schedule and their hours of operation coincide. They sell the Marantz player, as well as other units in that general price range. Their phone sales people are very helpful and should be able to provide you the general sonic signature of the Marantz as well as comparison / trade-off information with other digital products.

Good Luck!

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
G'day Caesar
Thanks for your suggestion
I'm ok traversing others impressions
I listened to every single recording on YouTube and everywhere else I can get my ears on!
And so far I come up between Marantz voicing by Ken and non Marantz transparency. Early days. Exploring this specific product is currently scheduled for at least 3-6 months.
So no rush and love to talk with others too.
Hence my question posted here.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
John,

I've auditioned the Esoteric K01, the Dcs Puccini with clock, and the Oppo 105D over the last two years. Returned all of them for various sonic reasons.

Still liking my Cary despite its age.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Please explain.
Ken tunes the sound of Marantz product to deliver sweet mid and upper range frequency. Quite deliberately and openly stated as a choice signature he injects.
Other brands don't necessarily pursue a signature house sound to such a degree AFAIK. Consequently they maybe more transparent and less adulterated in their music presentation.
Hope this is a better description of what I intended. John.

aln

Feb 24, 2011
It would be great if we could get feedback from someone who has heard the Marantz.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think the Marantz front ends are similar to Accuphase. Both makes are sweet sounding. On systems that rely mostly on direct sound the way these players treat the highest octaves may result in reduced dimensionality as the tradeoff for the smoothing. This is not such a problem for systems with wide dispersion and/or make use of the room reflections more. All in all I think both these companies make pleasurable sounding products at prices that are, while not cheap, more easily justified.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
I think the Marantz front ends are similar to Accuphase. Both makes are sweet sounding. On systems that rely mostly on direct sound the way these players treat the highest octaves may result in reduced dimensionality as the tradeoff for the smoothing. This is not such a problem for systems with wide dispersion and/or make use of the room reflections more. All in all I think both these companies make pleasurable sounding products at prices that are, while not cheap, more easily justified.

Thanks for your comments and insight JackD. Interestingly in Singapore I understand from retailers that Accuphase is a beloved product for local buyers just because of the signature sound and of course reliability. Singaporeans also largely prefer 300B tubes for example over 845/211. But I digress while looking for the mythical Marantz SA10 owner on this forum.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I have owned the SA10 now for 2 plus years after selling my Esoteric K-01. I lost nothing and gained a more natural sound. Settings of course make a difference to a good degree. Filter 1, noise shaping 3-1, headphones off (when on it impacts the music) gain set to medium, yes it impacts the sound even if you have the headphones turned off, funny with the headphone jack on the unit can sound similar to my K-01 speaking in sonics, with it off more natural. Phase in my system meaning the XLR pin configurations all match throughout the system is normal in your system reversed phase so to match your other gear. The USB input is superb by the way, and from top to bottom this player is one of the best, SACD reproduction is excellent, and for streaming, it is great also, but the disc is still superior much like streaming a 4K or HD movie then putting in the Blu_ray/4K disc, it beats any streaming movie hands down, CD's gotten a bad rap once the Magazines saw the future in streaming what they called SOTA when reviewing gear with CD as the front became garbage overnight and well folks follow like sheep. I am a vinyl guy, but I don't miss Vinyl with well master CDs for many years with well-designed CD players such as the Marantz, SONY SCD1, 3 Esoterics, and Luxmans, Accuphase is too overpriced in the USA, not worth the asking price.
I stay well away from a manufacture who use OEM parts to build their players because just too many problems with quality issues, I buy for the ones who design their CD players from the ground up in the house. Marantz SA10 is still a keeper with my past experience no need yet to look for another player, it is that good.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing