What's the best cassette deck ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

niklasthedolphin

Aug 28, 2010
I very much doubt the ability of the resources of this forum to judge on this subject, as no one, except one out of 19, have even got close to the answer on my question in the OP.

Question is if judgement on other audio questions is just as far from target as here?

A tad sad.

"dolph"

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I very much doubt the ability of the resources of this forum to judge on this subject, as no one, except one out of 19, have even got close to the answer on my question in the OP.

Question is if judgement on other audio questions is just as far from target as here?

A tad sad.

"dolph"
Really Dolph? I think you got some very good answers. Did you already have the answer and you were waiting for someone to agree with what you already knew? It seems the consenus here was Nak made the best cassette decks with the CR7A possibly being the best they ever made.

niklasthedolphin

Aug 28, 2010
Really Dolph? I think you got some very good answers. Did you already have the answer and you were waiting for someone to agree with what you already knew? It seems the consenus here was Nak made the best cassette decks with the CR7A possibly being the best they ever made.

Yeah well; I had the CR7 & the Dragon and sold them both after getting superior decks.

"dolph"

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Do tell Dolph. So what are the best decks? It seems you know the answers so don't keep us in suspense any longer.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
how does this ring your bell Dolf:

;)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Awesome picture Amir. That looks like a great deck and I see visions of Nak in it. Honestly, when you think about recording 2 channels on a piece of 1/8" tape going 1 7/8 ips, it is remarkable how damn good sounding cassettes could be. Astonshing in fact. It is a testimony to how good analog can be that a cassette deck can sound as good as it does. And make no mistake, a cassette tape made from a really good LP front end on a really good cassette deck sounds great.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ladies and Gentlemen, be sure to tune in again next week for the Dolph Quiz Show!

Dolph, it sounds like your judgement of the forum membership is a little harsh, being based upon one subject (an obsolete medium). I think you'll find our members to be very knowledgeable on a wide variety of subjects. Take a look around and see for yourself!

Lee

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I had some Nakamichis in the past, but never the 1000 or the Dragon - the best cassette deck I have heard was a Revox tape recorder, followed by the 1000. Problem with Nakamichis was that tapes recorded there were not that great played in other decks, level was lower than the standard.

Last edited:

niklasthedolphin

Aug 28, 2010
Then you must be after this Tandberg:

Yep.
This is above 3004, 3014, 3014A which all are above the best Nakamichi, Revox, Teac or any other Cassette Deck manufacturer ever came up with.

I just do not hope that majority of answers on this forum here, shows any democratic process in choosing what's the right answer.

Akai; Sharp, Pioneer?
Why not then suggest Philips as the best speaker manufacturer or Shure for stylus & cartridges, Lada for cars, Casio for wrist watches and Parker for fountain Pens.

And then there's the fact that the American market where always missing a lot of high end quality products, launched on the European market through time.
Easy to see on the market for cars. Maybe not as easy to spot on the market of HiFi, but sure still a fact.

"dolph"

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I found this description of the TCD 3014 at an eBay sales, written by seller packrat014 :

" The TCD 3014 features a microprocessor-controlled 3 head, dual capstan closed loop mechanism with 4 servo-controlled motors and Dolby B/C noise reduction. The individual motors (capstan motor, pair of motors for the belt-driven supply side and take-up side hubs, plus head bridge motor) are constantly monitored by the computer. This allows the deck to wind at fantastic speeds without risking tape damage as well as ensuring incredibly stable tape path with minimal wow & flutter. The mechanism is built on a 5mm thick pressure-rolled aluminum plate which ensures rigid support for the moving parts. It has very large flywheels of differing diameter and drives them with belts of completely different size, to minimize the chances of any resonance. The hubs are belt-driven by two separate motors and those belts are again asymmetrical. No detail was overlooked in making sure this deck had the smoothest and most accurate mechanism available at any price. Like many Nakamichi decks, the record head azimuth is adjustable from the front panel using a built-in test tone, ensuring proper frequency response on every tape you record. It also offers a tape selection switch for Type I, Type II, and metal tape types and has front panel adjustment and test tones for setting bias and record current accurately for each tape type. The level meters are true peak-reading design with slow decay and are connected to the signal path after the record equalization so they monitor the signal being applied to the record head, not coming into the record amplifier. This provides for maximum accuracy in setting optimal recording levels. In addition, Tandberg included DYNEQ and ACTILINEAR II, their two proprietary technologies to extract maximum performance from the cassette format. DYNEQ works similarly to Dolby HX Pro to extend headroom during recording, with the use of dynamic record equalization. ACTILINEAR II is a transconductance amplifier that combines the music and bias signals and converts them to pure current, allowing bandwidth so wide it can actually pass square wave bias frequencies. The build quality of these decks is also exceptional. Tandberg specified the use of expensive metal parts wherever needed to ensure stable, accurate tape handling. They also used high-grade components throughout the electronics, such as polystyrene or polypropylene capacitors. This resulted in an ultra wideband design able to pass a signal with no audible degradation in sound quality or imaging. "

BTW, Tandberg manufactured excellent tape and cassette machines, but the jewel of the crown were their tuners.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Dolph-Thanks for asking a loaded question, smirking at all the answers, and then telling us the facts you wanted us to know.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I'm sure I speak for all the other forum members when I say that I am damn glad that you've decided to post here....damn glad.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing