What's the best cassette deck ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Nakamichi's were always considered to be excellent, although I personally never cared for their top-load designs.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Nakamichi CR-7E was really excellent. My tapes of Proprius LPs and Sheffield recorded with an ET2 tonearm still sound fantastic.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hey, I was too poor to afford the Nakamichi so trying to push some love toward AKAI which I did own :D.

Come to think of it, there was a very high-end Pioneer that was well regraded. I repaired one once but that was as far as I got in owning one.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I forget the model #'s now, but my first deck was a Pioneer. Had it for about 2 years and then bought a "dual-cassette" deck from Optonica (the old Sharp audio brand). Loved the thing and had it for well over 15 years. Can't really remember what I did with it either come to think of it. Age....it's a damned curse!

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I still have an Optonica amp I use in my garage for music! Didn't know they made cassette tapes.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Nakamichi did shock the Hi-Fi world with the Nakamichi 1000, followed by the 700 but once the wave of shock passed, several brands came with viable alternatives: teac, Akai, Pioneer on the Japanese front but also Revox, Grunding, Uher and particularly Tandberg on the European front. There are others that I can't remember. Luxman also made some very good cassette decks, from I think, the Laboratory Reference Series
I remember a Tandberg model , an upright model and that particular model with metal tapes made copies that were difficult to distinguish from the original LP, the exact names and models escape me ..

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
yep......their audio line never really took off though, which is a shame as they were nicely built quality units.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So how many of you still have cassette decks? And would you get a vintage player?

John

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My then young son ripped the door off my favorite AKAI deck so I had to throw it away. Ironically, I think I still have a few tapes sitting around!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My then young son ripped the door off my favorite AKAI deck so I had to throw it away. Ironically, I think I still have a few tapes sitting around!

I finally (after many years) dropped off 2 boxes of tapes to the local Goodwill store only about 5 years ago. There had to have been about 400 tapes and most of them lovingly recorded from my vinyl and a Sunday morning Progressive Rock radio program on CHOM-FM that played every song in completion. I'm all teary-eyed now.......the memories!. Fun times!

John

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing