New Release from Edward Pong; stunning sonics!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I did listen to these two tapes last night and yes they were NAB equalized

First off I have to admit that I am not an expert in classical music and had no knowledge of the pieces to which I was listening

Suffice it to say I was not ready for what I heard. I have a moderate tape collection from countess sources many of which are so much better than others. These two tapes literally floored me as IMO they are the 2 best tape recordings in my collection. It was as if I was sitting center stage with the musicians. I have never heard a violin so realistic as I heard last night or a piano played with such realism

Whether this is secondary to NAB equalization and/or the new tricks that Tony Ky Ma has used in the microphones used in the recording of these pieces. This was for my ears about as close to the real event as I have ever been.

For those who like to collect tape and have a tape deck these two tapes are simply a must have. For those who are sitting the fence about the virtues of a great tape recording or who have never heard such these two recordings are an absolute must

I played both tapes twice before going to bed last night

I have to say that both recordings gave me goose bumps as they stirred so much emotion. Kudos also to Dr Ed Pong who has made this a hobby and a second business and has amassed such a stellar bunch of microphones, tubes and tape recorders to bring such wonderful tapes to the public.

The pianist and violinist that Ed has recorded on many occasions are spectacular and I bet we will hear great things from the two of them

Finally I have to talk about the packaging of these two tapes. They were invincible and secure in every way. Each record is beautifully housed and well packaged. I now have 6 different recordings from Ed and Ultraanalogue Recordings and they are all special but I have to reiterate that for me and my ears these 2 new recordings are the best tapes I own and will permanently reside in a top shelf position.

I have no idea about NAB vs IEC equalization but for my ears, last night was a memorable listening experience for me. I was as close to the real event as I have ever been. It is something that should be heard by all reading this and sitting the fence

Ed is a formidable producer of great tape music and these two belong in everyones library. When the audience offers their applause at the end of the presentation you truly feel you are part of that audience.

I too add my kudos Ed

Steve Williams

Well I did listen to these two tapes last night and yes they were NAB equalized

First off I have to admit that I am not an expert in classical music and had no knowledge of the pieces to which I was listening

Suffice it to say I was not ready for what I heard. I have a moderate tape collection from countess sources many of which are so much better than others. These two tapes literally floored me as IMO they are the 2 best tape recordings in my collection. It was as if I was sitting center stage with the musicians. I have never heard a violin so realistic as I heard last night or a piano played with such realism

Whether this is secondary to NAB equalization and/or the new tricks that Tony Ky Ma has used in the microphones used in the recording of these pieces. This was for my ears about as close to the real event as I have ever been.

For those who like to collect tape and have a tape deck these two tapes are simply a must have. For those who are sitting the fence about the virtues of a great tape recording or who have never heard such these two recordings are an absolute must

I played both tapes twice before going to bed last night

I have to say that both recordings gave me goose bumps as they stirred so much emotion. Kudos also to Dr Ed Pong who has made this a hobby and a second business and has amassed such a stellar bunch of microphones, tubes and tape recorders to bring such wonderful tapes to the public.

The pianist and violinist that Ed has recorded on many occasions are spectacular and I bet we will hear great things from the two of them

Finally I have to talk about the packaging of these two tapes. They were invincible and secure in every way. Each record is beautifully housed and well packaged. I now have 6 different recordings from Ed and Ultraanalogue Recordings and they are all special but I have to reiterate that for me and my ears these 2 new recordings are the best tapes I own and will permanently reside in a top shelf position.

I have no idea about NAB vs IEC equalization but for my ears, last night was a memorable listening experience for me. I was as close to the real event as I have ever been. It is something that should be heard by all reading this and sitting the fence

Ed is a formidable producer of great tape music and these two belong in everyones library. When the audience offers their applause at the end of the presentation you truly feel you are part of that audience.

I too add my kudos Ed

I was so moved by the 1st 2 tapes from this concert that I am now getting the 3rd of this series as I am told that it is better even than the first two so stay tuned

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
what factors will be more important for a good recording ? in my experience those can't be measured factors like transparency, emotion, sound stage, are more important than those measurable like frequency respond or distortion because those measured numbers can be changed by adding heavy NFB in circuit design but transparency and ect. can only judge by ear very personal. we do not want to compare to others production just compare to our old recordings vs latest one ,we did nothings to frequency respond only by tune in normal at every time before recording but by shorten the sound path, less conducts, super quality parts,simplifying circuit design and better power supply , silver cables ,ect. makes big improvement , in copying tape, transparency in play back is the main issue, it will has transparency 20 to 30 % down for a generation , now we lucky, that we can keep it within 10% ( by ear judge)
tony ma

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I'm glad to see that others are enjoying these tapes as much as I do. What I can hear clearly in the Ultra Analogue collection is a striving to continuously improve the audio quality of the recordings. Continuous improvement of a product, and not constant change for the sake of marketing is at the heart of making a great product. I'm impressed to hear the positive responses to Ed's tapes by members here. You're just confirming what I have been hearing for myself.

CCIR vs NAB is a nerd argument. I'm sure you can argue day and night over which is 'better', but I think that is a completely separate issue from the beautiful music on these tapes. I have both CCIR and NAB tapes I've purchased from different companies, and they both sound great on my modified Studers. But Ed's latest tapes do have a sense of clarity that is rare in my humble opinion.

Deepender

Feb 2, 2017
Amen!

How heartwarming it is to read the many effusively favorable comments about Ed Pong's most recent releases from Ultra Analogue - especially those remarks coming from some of the most astute audiophile-music lovers and those in the know.

I believe these tapes represent the creme de la creme of Ultra Analogue's formidable catalog and stand alone as the best of the best, vis-a-vis all the many otherwise excellent commercially available tapes.

Thanks, Ed, for your near epochal audio achievement. I'm sure many of us will be eagerly awaiting the release of whatever tapes emerge from your upcoming concert this fall.

Steve Williams

Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 8

I'm glad to see that others are enjoying these tapes as much as I do. What I can hear clearly in the Ultra Analogue collection is a striving to continuously improve the audio quality of the recordings. Continuous improvement of a product, and not constant change for the sake of marketing is at the heart of making a great product. I'm impressed to hear the positive responses to Ed's tapes by members here. You're just confirming what I have been hearing for myself.

CCIR vs NAB is a nerd argument. I'm sure you can argue day and night over which is 'better', but I think that is a completely separate issue from the beautiful music on these tapes. I have both CCIR and NAB tapes I've purchased from different companies, and they both sound great on my modified Studers. But Ed's latest tapes do have a sense of clarity that is rare in my humble opinion.

How heartwarming it is to read the many effusively favorable comments about Ed Pong's most recent releases from Ultra Analogue - especially those remarks coming from some of the most astute audiophile-music lovers and those in the know.

I believe these tapes represent the creme de la creme of Ultra Analogue's formidable catalog and stand alone as the best of the best, vis-a-vis all the many otherwise excellent commercially available tapes.

Thanks, Ed, for your near epochal audio achievement. I'm sure many of us will be eagerly awaiting the release of whatever tapes emerge from your upcoming concert this fall.

I received my copy of Ed's latest

Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 8/ Sararsate Zapateado - Massenet Meditation

With Ed's great young players Tatsuki Narita/Violin and Yun-Yang Lee/Piano

All I can say is Bravo Ed. As great as the first two were this tape is even better. The end to the 8th Sonata literally floored me and the feeling that I was at that live recording brought goose bumps.

To me it is irrelevant whether the Eq is NAB or IEC but rather what sounds great. This recording is so life like that you'll swear you're 3 feet from the performers and the feeling of standing on your feet to give an ovation as you can feel the audience did. This is visceral all the way.

The timbre to that violin and piano were lifelike to my ears

I am amazed that such a fabulous recording could be done live at Ed's house . I am hoping to be there in October to be present at Ed's next recording session.

I still know little about classical music but I do know what sounds great to my ears and this tape like the other 2 are sensational and are must owns by anyone amassing a formidable tape library. They are top shelf in mine.

As always these come professionally packaged both outside the box as well as inside

Kudos Ed

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
The "boys" - Tatsuki & Yun-Yang will be arriving
Oct 6&7... & the fun begins!

If you can come to Toronto for a weekend... you can hear the real master tapes on my system (Friday), listen & watch some recordings on Friday & hear the live concert Saturday... a good chance to visit some old friends in TO...

We will be recording the live concert, with tape & video & will also
record the rep on Sunday, Monday...

Program will be:

Beethoven Violin Sonata #1
Chopin andante spinato & Grand Polonaise

intermission

Schubert Grand Fantasy
Vitali Chaconne

intermission

Introduction & Rondo Capricioso
Brahms Hungarien Dances 1,2,4
Paganini la Campanella
Go to Youtube & put each of these pieces in, this way you can get an idea of the music...
Ed

Steve Williams

It's been a few weeks since I have listened to tape and yesterday was completely mesmerized by what I heard

I have constantly put up a disclaimer that I am not classical music knowledgeable but I do love great music

I had a few friends over yesterday and they were not only interested in my system but took great interest in my Studer tape recorder and wanted to hear some of my go to tapes

For me it was a no brainer. Even though not being classical music savvy I took out the latest 3 tapes from Ed Pong at Ultraanalogue Recordings. My guests, like me, love great music but also were not classical music aficionados.

Suffice it to say my friends were glued to the listening position as I played Ed's latest 3 albums. At the conclusion, one of my guests stood up and applauded and said that he felt as close to the music as being at the live event. These 3 tapes of Ed are about as good as it gets and provided my friends with a jaw dropping experience. All are ardent audiophiles but none were prepared for what they heard.

Tape as a medium stands at the top if the heap but when you factor in the experience of listening to Ed's fabulous recordings you have to be prepared for a session that leaves you with goose bumps. These tapes are really that good. If people who have tape recorders and are looking for some amazing music to occupy their top shelf, I would say in all sincerity, look no further than Ed's library of tape recordings he has done and offers for sale. You won't be disappointed

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Like Steve I am not, as a rule, much of a classical music enthusiast. That said I have been an early adaptor and supporter of UltraAnalog tapes. I love to hear beautiful music played and recorded well. Every recording Ed does seems to get better and it just doesn't get any better than these last 3 tapes. There is no better example of "you are there" music than these recordings. The speakers disappear with the first note and you can easily imagine the room if you close your eyes. The sound is pure and effortless.

Do yourself a favor if you have a tape rig and try one of these out. You will love how great your system sounds.

Steve Williams

Like Steve I am not, as a rule, much of a classical music enthusiast. That said I have been an early adaptor and supporter of UltraAnalog tapes. I love to hear beautiful music played and recorded well. Every recording Ed does seems to get better and it just doesn't get any better than these last 3 tapes. There is no better example of "you are there" music than these recordings. The speakers disappear with the first note and you can easily imagine the room if you close your eyes. The sound is pure and effortless.

Do yourself a favor if you have a tape rig and try one of these out. You will love how great your system sounds.

Hi Bruce

Totally agree. Those last 3 tapes that Ed produced occupy my top shelf as go to demos

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi Bruce

Totally agree. Those last 3 tapes that Ed produced occupy my top shelf as go to demos

Hello Steve,

What are the last 3?

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
An audiophile friend sent me this link to a fascinating film from the 1940's on Western Electric & the vacuum tube..... please have a look...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-JzxX75oYc

It looks like my vintage NOS 1956 WE300b may have come off this production line - 60 years ago & now making new recordings in 2017....!
Ed

Hello Edward,

Thanks for recommending me this Schubert Grand Fantassy. My first tape of yours but many more likely to come.
I am a jazz person..normally dont even listen to classical much. But this tape of yours just drew me into something I dint even know what I was listening to..hahaha.

Thanks Steve and everyone else for recommending good music.

20171002_132403_resized.jpg

Tang

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Hello Tang,

I'm happy to see you have your Studer back from it's tune-up. It looks immaculate - Congrats!
Please tell us what you thought of the music and the sound on this tape....

Since you're a jazz fan, I have one tape with a double bass & cello - Rossini Duo which will test your sub-woofer, it's a live recording of Jeff Beecher (Bass player for YoYo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble) & Rachel Mercer...

Enjoy
Ed

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hello Tang,

I'm happy to see you have your Studer back from it's tune-up. It looks immaculate - Congrats!
Please tell us what you thought of the music and the sound on this tape....

Hi Ed,

This is very funny. I was listening to your Sampler No.1., probably Liszt-Canzone (I am a newbie in Classical and you dont specify songs by track number) while my stereo dog was sleeping. There was this sudden break of piano passage, I wasnt even playing loud, and my dog literally jumped in surprise..hahaha.. very funny. The attack from the piano was like an alarm. I thought you should know even my dog got suprised by your tape.

Here he is.

20171005_112420_resized.jpg

Kind regards,
Tang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing