New Release from Edward Pong; stunning sonics!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
He's so cute!

What are the amps & speakers in the background??

Hello Edward,

The amps are Ayon SETs. The horns are Cessero Gamma.
How are you doing with the new recording?

Look forward to your invoices.
Tang

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Tatsuki-San & Yun-Yang arrived Saturday, rehearsing for our concert this Saturday... Amazing playing, tweaked Tatsuki's violin, like a tube upgrade! Incredibly pure timbres - I will record the live concert along with some studio recordings...
Hope to have some great tapes...
Ed

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Just received a bunch of recordings from Ed. It will be an enjoyable weekend. :)
The Doshi tape pre just arrived too. Have to max out my analog front.

IMG_3228.JPG

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Hi Steve,

I just came back from Japan where I heard Tatsuki play the Tchaikovsky Concerto... I wish I had my Studer & mics with me..!
I'll let you know when these are ready to go..

Ed

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Over this past weekend my good friend and audio buddy marty happened to find his way to my house as he had to be in San Diego yesterday for a business meeting.

As always our listening sessions were long and rewarding and marty usually finds a way to make my system sound better. After all of the finishing touches were made with minor adjustments to my JL Audio F113 subs I finished the listening sessions each night by listening to R2R tape.

AsI have said before my go to albums are the recent 3 released earlier this year by Ed Pong....

1) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.3 & Sarasate Zigeunerweisen (Live in concert)
2) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 (Spring) & Brahms Hungarian Dances No. 5&6 (Live in concert)
3) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.8 & 2 Encore pieces.. Sarasate Zapateado, Massenet Meditation (Live in concert)

These IMO are probably some of the best recordings I have ever heard

Marty sat in the listening position silent as each tape played through

At the end marty turned to me and stated. "that was probably the best recording of a violin I have ever heard".

These last 3 tapes occupy top shelf in my music library and they didn't disappoint as was evident from marty's comments

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Ed has just announced two new titles from a concert he did in October with Tatsuki Narita and Yun-Yang Lee. Both are fabulous musicians, with Narita, an award winning violinist. They are continuing their series of Beethoven Violin Sonatas which Ed projects will be part of a complete series over time. The Chopin is a big piece for solo piano, the rest are violin and piano pieces. I ordered mine on Tuesday. Larry

1) Beethoven Violin Sonata No.1 & Brahms Hungarian Dances No.1&2

2) Chopin Andante Spianato & Grand Polonaise Brilliante, Saint Saens Introduction & Rondo Capriccioso
Sarasate Introduction & Tarantella (solo piano piece with 2 violin & piano pieces...)

http://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/

Scar972

Sep 1, 2017
Fort Worth, TX
Mike, thank you for turning us to this terrific recording! I just listened to Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 3 Sarasate Zigeunerweisen and the detail, clarity, and dynamic contrast of this recording is unreal! still hoping to get Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 1 in a few weeks. I'm listening thru King/Cello tape preamp.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have this tape for a while but didn’t get a chance to play until today due to many things have been going on in my system. Let me just say that I had to delay my meeting 10 minutes until the tape ends :D. For those with a Studer, I wish you could audition an external tape pre, in my case the Doshi, in your system. Many think ED’s tapes are already terrific, you will even appreciate them more. The slight thinness I had from my Studer, which Nick Doshi said he never found one originally clean and out of factory new like mine, is now all gone and sounds very organic. You just can’t take tape for granted that as long as it is tape it will sound best. Not true. Tape machine must be tweaked to get top playback. And good tapes are essential. Some tape labels are just shitty imo. A killer tape front will magnify its true nature and reveal how shitty they are. Ed’s label is one of the best labels I can rely on for exceptional sound.

82016822-BF95-417A-AC29-F0D55D18D1D4.jpg

Tang

Joey Chan

Mar 12, 2018
A newbie to the Open Tape (from the Stone Age) like I am would buy all sorts of tape to keep the excitement going. Within a short span of 3 months, 40+ tapes were accumulated and auditioned. The frequency is literally way beyond that of vinyl auditioning in my past 38 years.

Why such a sharp change? Well, the Stone Age Tape machine does imbed wih a ghostly real soul which blows the so call new age state of the art to dust.

More importantly, I stumbled across UltraAnalogue on the internet. Quite a fancy list of titles and recordings. No harm trying one or two if it does not work out, I thought at the time. Now that I have 9 tapes from Ed (25% of my collection for now) which have to be (I repeat, have to be) audition on a daily basis. Beethoven Violin Sonata No.5 by YY Lee and Takayuki Narita, one of the first tapes I have had from Ed, was auditioned for 10 times in the first 2 days. The airiness has a “born free” feel that is hard to resist. Tony, you have my thumbs up.

Ed’s tapes are poison pills. With his tapes, one would be hopeless in the sense that you can’t help keep auditioning his tapes as they made the others sound dull, unreal and mechanical.

His tapes are simply out of this world. The dynamic of the piano played by YY Lee ((Chopin Polonaise Brilliante) is the best piano recording I have ever auditioned in whatever formats. The brilliant performance and the faithful recording swiftly turned the excitement to the next level, orgasim!

Hong Kong is a place with high humidity which can be up to 99% during spring and summer time. Ed emailed me one day that, much to my amazement, he would mail me zip plastic bags and desiccant. How thoughtful he is.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing