Zero Distortion: Silvercore, Western Electrics, 833c, EL34, 304 TL

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
With SETs, different SETs have different colors, from neutral to very colored. Pick your color choice, as long as they can drive them. There are some standout ones, but it's speaker driven.

Hello Mr.Bonzo,

I very much agree with what you said above. My Cessaro horns like SET that is fast. I also find them less sensitive to spkr cable.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
what else did you compare the Ayon Titans with? I had once tried the Ayon 32b in my Lampi and it had been fascinating, when matched with the right gain...and I am not a fan of 300b, but I assume the 32b and 62b have much more speed and dynamics.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
what else did you compare the Ayon Titans with? I had once tried the Ayon 32b in my Lampi and it had been fascinating, when matched with the right gain...and I am not a fan of 300b, but I assume the 32b and 62b have much more speed and dynamics.

Hello Mr. Bonzo,

With Cessaros, I only have heard them with Zanden and Thoress monos. I wish I had vast experiences with tube amps in my own system like Gian and others. Anyway, I thought the Zanden had generous mid. Maybe I meant lush. My vocab in sound is limited. The Titan is to me vivid but not lush with better bottom and instruments seem to dynamically pop out a bit more. Pick your taste as you said. The Thoress sounded just beautiful but lack effortlessness and punch of higher power amps, even with the 100+db speakers. I dont know what tubes in them though.

Kind regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, how do you think these horns might sound w my NAT Audio SE2SE 70W 211s?
And what is the depth of these things, 90cm wide and 163cm high?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They will be fine. 80 cm depth of the bin plus 20 cm more for the drivers sticking out, so 1m

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hello Mr. Bonzo,

With Cessaros, I only have heard them with Zanden and Thoress monos. I wish I had vast experiences with tube amps in my own system like Gian and others. Anyway, I thought the Zanden had generous mid. Maybe I meant lush. My vocab in sound is limited. The Titan is to me vivid but not lush with better bottom and instruments seem to dynamically pop out a bit more. Pick your taste as you said. The Thoress sounded just beautiful but lack effortlessness and punch of higher power amps, even with the 100+db speakers. I dont know what tubes in them though.

Kind regards,
Tang

Can I ask you what level of customization have you carried on your Ayon Titan's?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Can I ask you what level of customization have you carried on your Ayon Titan's?
To be honest. I didnt understand when Gerhard (the owner of Ayon) explained to me of the modification. If I remember correctly the mods were on the input stage, the tubes, the higher spec wiring and the grounding. He and I put a lot of weight on grounding. But no expensive silver wound transformer or anything like that. He tweaked the amp together with the preamp to match the Cessaro high sensitivity.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To be honest. I didnt understand when Gerhard (the owner of Ayon) explained to me of the modification. If I remember correctly the mods were on the input stage, the tubes, the higher spec wiring and the grounding. He and I put a lot of weight on grounding. But no expensive silver wound transformer or anything like that. He tweaked the amp together with the preamp to match the Cessaro high sensitivity.

Kind regards,
Tang

Such gain tweaking is the best thing one can do

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

My Crossfire III uses the 62B and it effortless punch and drive on my 98db Odeons. Now that I have replaced input and driver tubes with NOS and rectifier with big Ayon 5U4G the tone and smoothness without loss of resolution is superb.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My Crossfire III uses the 62B and it effortless punch and drive on my 98db Odeons. Now that I have replaced input and driver tubes with NOS and rectifier with big Ayon 5U4G the tone and smoothness without loss of resolution is superb.

So you have this and Diana both now?

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
The same here with AG Duo Mezzo XD driven by Crossfire III , long time equiped with Ayon 5U4G ( recently replaced with EML 5U4G).

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I know well Silvercore and Thoress because one my friend was the Italian distributor in Milan for both,so i listen many product and many time.
I think the best product of Silvercore is tube amp 833.
I had passive preamp and trans mc pro.I was near to buy 833 but then he stop the distribution
The passive preamp and trans mc pro are the best product i listen in their categories.
One time i tried preamp at home of my friend with ML 32 and 33,and was better then preamp ML 32.
Less depth and dynamic,but the sound come out from his Wilson X1 more easy and natural.
833 has a sound very transparent,natural with good image.One my friend sold his Audio Note Japan Neiro Silver,i had 2,8 watt with 2A3 and very natural sound and magic mid mainly in the voices,and prefer 833.I think at this price,from 8 to 11K euro,depend on accessories,there is anything better.

Instead the best product of Thoress i think is the phono.Tube phono with no noise,6 inputs where you can ask the company which impedance you need for every input,one can be also MM.
The sound is very natural,transparent,and open,don't seems a normal tube.
Very interesting the possibility of the phono equalization curves,where old records can sound like an OMR if you adjust them
At this price at around 8.500 euro in Italy sure there is nothing better.
Also Integrated amp and mono amp are very good and very natural sound.Not very dynamic and with low power but sound is very good.

2 very good company with top products and a good price

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
So you have this and Diana both now?

I have had the Crossfire for a quite a while now. We did compare it to Kronzilla and it was pretty comparable. Perhaps a bit higher resolution but a bit less full sounding as well (that was before the NOS input tubes though, which make the Crossfire sound more complete).

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sawasdee Mr.Bonzo,

I am sorry for going off topic of this thread. But may I ask your opinion why Lamn is not so big in Europe and Asia. Is it because of distribution and mkt. In US, it s like the Rolls Royce of tube gear.

Best regards,
Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Italy,Italian distributor don't push a lot the sell and discount is no big,so near nobody try or buy.
I have at least 25 friends with medium/top system and no one has Lamm

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
UK they had some distribution issues. I also think EU has a lot of its own SET amps, from KR, all the Italian ones, Nat, ayon, AC, many other small ones, some Greek ones. EU also has a much more set horn culture. The Japanese ones do well. Also, Lamm does not have any SET above 30w which cash t be an issue, and in low watt products, some of the EU ones like NAT, KR, viva, among the ones I know have good current and control of bigger speakers. They have higher wattage for those who want to not use SS but stick to SETs. For such purposes Lamm jumps to hybrids, but there the competition is more valve push pull or outright SS.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing