Comparison: Schiit Yggdrasil DAC vs. Berkeley Alpha DAC 2

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
And a quick search yielded this, which sure enough has some similar (and detailed) conclusions:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/msb-analog.20847/reviews

note- the new version of the Yggy might make a big difference of course

What I find interesting are the comments about the Theta GenVa. It is using another classic 20bit DAC chip (AD1862 I believe). I have experienced very nice sound now from a number of classic DACs and it really makes one wonder what people were smoking when they were calling early digital "harsh" and "digititis". Ok, this is really 2nd Gen digital (early 90s) but the bad rap that had to be "corrected" with DS DACs was largely due to cheap DACs. The good ones from that era are still really good today. I have heard this also with my Monarchy (PCM63), my Kinergetics (UA D20400), PS Audio (also UA D20400). Of course my "modern" Kassandra is on another level of dynamics and resolution but it is clear that this was not a fundamental issue of the chips themselves (Kassandra uses AD1865N) but probably more about layout and power supply. That said, the Monarchy is quite detailed as is the Kinergetics...the PS Audio is a bit less so but very smooth and warmish sounding.

I am wondering if Moffatt's choice of a non standard (is it even an audio DAC?) DAC is impacting the SQ to some extent where this guy preferred the Theta? I would like to get my hands on a Theta...it is a legend and by all accounts a great sounding machine...I am sort into collecting these oldies but goldies. Along those lines, who has owned or owns an Accuphase DC-81L? This was probably the first discrete 20 bit dac ever on the market. Also a DC91 would be interesting (MMB with PCM63s).

Based on what I hear with Kassandra, there is really something to paralleling multiple DACs to lower noise and improve the resolution of these older chips.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Al M. or madfloyd have you guys heard the Chord DAVE?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Al M. or madfloyd have you guys heard the Chord DAVE?

Yes, I have. I had one on a half day demo in my system, plus first heard it at Can-Jam last year driving the LCD4 HP direct. It is a good DAC, not a detail freak hifi sounding modern DAC as many I could mention.

It does seem to excel on headphones for some reason, the soundstage is very big, and the line stage can drive planers direct at a very good level (sound quality).

I didn't buy it myself, as I prefer DACs with tubes, and NOS, but I admit the DAVE is a good DAC that shakes up the sub 10k sector IMO. Oddly it has SMPS in it, which is normally a noise nightmare for a DAC, and has a FPGA for digital conversion. But Rob Watts (who I met at Can-Jam) seems to do some special magic, make it work. I am not so convinced by the Blue Transport though. I heard it with that attached at Can-Jam. I takes that system to 16K which I think is too high, opens up other (better) possibilities, such as the Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref II for example....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing