Sky Q 2TB UHD Satellite TV Box

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Earlier in the year I upgraded to a Sony 4K Smart Tv and have been very pleased with it.
Sky are now broadcasting more UHD content including the upcoming Test cricket series between England and South Africa so I decided it was time to upgrade from the HD box to the UHD one.
Ordered and installed in less than a week but do bear in mind you will probably need,as I did, one of their new dishes as well so a 2hour job. In my case 3hours because of some exaggerated health and safety concerns about mounting the new and slightly larger dish. But otherwise the engineer did a very good job.
As soon as we fired the TV up I immediately noticed a significant improvement in the the sound quality compared with the HD box. It is connected with an upgraded Russ Andrews fig 8 power cable and via an Audioquest Vodka HDMI cable to my Anthem 710 amp which is connected to the Vitus SIA 025 amp. Another Vodka connects the AV amp to the TV.On normal HD the picture is better too but as yet I haven't viewed any UHD content and should do that in the next day or two.
The big surprise, however, and why I posted in this forum is that when I moved on to listen to BBC Radio 3 FM soon after installation the sound quality through the Magnum Dynalab 109 also sounded noticeably better. Yesterday morning as usual I started listening to some classical music on Radio 3 through the tuner and there was no question about it. The sound was better. Tighter,more focussed and better placing of the different instruments and voices within the soundstage. Have done very little listening on CD so far but a similar improvement which I hope to hear on more extended listening.
Now this is in a system with an extensive Entreq set up, Audience Aspect passive power conditioner and Stillpoints and Wave Kinetics A10-U8 supports. (Full system details on my profile)The previous HD box was a few years old but all the cables were the same. I can only assume that the old box was not only noisy but that that noise was affecting the rest of the system.
Obviously no complaints and a real bonus but would be interested to know if anybody else has had the same experience or for any comments

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hasn't all been plain sailing as I had some problems getting UHD which turned out to be the fault of the Anthem 710 AV amp not being compliant with HDCP 2.2
Very good sound on 1080p through the Anthem but UHD has to be an HDMI lead direct to the TV and reliance on the TVs speakers which is obviously nothing like as good. The consolation is the the UHD picture is definitely better than the 1080p.
I can switch between the two by connecting the HDMI cables from the AV amp and the TV to the Sky Q box which is a bit of a fiddle which I can only rectify with a new AV amp and which was not on my list of priorities prior to getting the Sky Q box,
The price of progress!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing