Can a cable be too short?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Of course, perfectly match the source, cable and load and the reflection problem goes away... :) It also glosses over that there will be a reflection from the triple-transit time eventually no matter the cable length (though a longer cable might attenuate more), and probably never at a "good" time for the receiver. Finally, using a PLL to recover the clock, the designer can control the loop so that reflections are well outside the PLL's loop bandwidth so they are effectively "ignored". Not a complete panacea, since if there are a lot of significant reflection terms you'll end up with an average of primary and secondary edges creating the clock.

I should note that many are probably aware of those "magic" frequencies, or in this case cable lengths, that cause the reflections to cancel at the receiver.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
In Bob Cordell's new book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers", he writes about how a normal audio circuit and a power, interconnect or speaker cable can become a tuned radio frequency circuit to RFI interference.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How good is that book? Years ago I went looking for amp design books as I was designing one for cars and I couldn't find anything decent.

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
A short cable:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
How good is that book? Years ago I went looking for amp design books as I was designing one for cars and I couldn't find anything decent.

Bob Cordell's new book "Designing Audio Power Amplifiers" is definitely a good book! It's a 600 page technical work, but with very little math or formulas! Treat it as a number of short stories on whatever interests you that day rather than reading it cover to cover. I'm not designing an amplifier so I'll skip the chapters on SPICE and bias circuits. Everything is shades of gray and about compromises and trade-offs.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amp design is bewildering. Every subcircuit has dozen+ variations. And you not only have to worry about performance, but reliability. Thank heaven for computer simulation. In the old days, it would take a long time just to build and test one variation. Only to find it smoke out because you mis-wired one component.

rhyno

Dec 29, 2010
i would actually pose the question differently:

in a particular application, if the length of cable is of certain size or smaller, wil the inherent character of the cable inpose its flavor on the signal or not?

i dont know, but i'd betcha its the case for ACs, ICs, SC, and dig cables in that order (note: connector quality is always heard. there's always a connector...i'm just talkign using oyaide plugs w/ belden wire will sound as good as Stage 3 if the connectors & gauge are the same).

booboobaer

Aug 22, 2010
Columbus,Ohio
I own Purist Audio Design cables, no others. I asked Jim Aud the designer about power cables , speakers cables, suggested length and this is what he said. On power cables he suggested that they be at LEAST six feet long (something about capacitance). On speaker cables he said the ideal length was 9 feet long. I don't pretend to fully understand the physics of it but I sure trust Jim. These cables are amazing. Happy New Year!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing