Advice on new table

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hey. Just joined the forum after reviewing threads for sometime.

I know this is a subjective question but would appreciate y'alls thoughts on a purchase I'm planning.

I currently have an SME 20/2, which I purchased used about 14 years ago. It's been a great table, but I'm upgrading my whole system and am planning to purchase a much more substantial table.

I was planning to buy a SME 30/12 because I have been so content with my current table, but for some reason I'm also very drawn to the VPI classic direct, which is a bit less expensive as well.

Any opinions as to which of these I should buy? I listen primarily to rock, blues, some jazz.

Associated equipment is audio research ref 6 preamp, audio research ref 3 phono, Mark levinson 536 amps, magico s5 mkii speakers

Thanks!

Anthony

When people ask advice between two turntables, most audiophiles can't resist lauding their own preference. :D I will stick to your choices.

Both are excellent choices. The SME 30/12 with its tonearm is a great choice for someone wanting a great sound with emotional stability. It is extremely easy to set-up, no other further adjustments after initial setup.

The classic direct is conceptually more up-to-date - a SOTA direct drive from a company with long successful tradition in quality turntables. The 3D tonearm is much less reviewed and referred than the SMEV 12, it has the great advantage that you can get arm setups easily changeable. As far as I remember in the US the VPI system costs significantly less than the SME - you could use the difference in a better cartridge.

Although I love the SME, if I lived in Texas I probably get the VPI ...

BTW, the SME 30 is miles ahead of a SME 20, and although I have no experience with the VPI, I am admitting it is in the same sonic class as the VPI if used in a proper stand - the VPI has no suspension.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
In my quest for all audio exotica that is left field, out there and downright irresistible, if I was spending the budget needed for top SME, Kronos, TW, Spiral Groove, GPA Monaco, AF2 etc etc, I’d seriously investigate the Audiosilente Blackstone idler.
Twin graphite plinth system w graphite armbds, multiple layer metal/graphite platter, all new design pulley/idler based on venerable Thorens 124, quartz speed control, Papst indestructible motor.
You’re getting a LOT for yr €35-40k.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In my quest for all audio exotica that is left field, out there and downright irresistible, if I was spending the budget needed for top SME, Kronos, TW, Spiral Groove, GPA Monaco, AF2 etc etc, I’d seriously investigate the Audiosilente Blackstone idler.
Twin graphite plinth system w graphite armbds, multiple layer metal/graphite platter, all new design pulley/idler based on venerable Thorens 124, quartz speed control, Papst indestructible motor.
You’re getting a LOT for yr €35-40k.

Audiosilente's Simon is known for his 124 mods.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I gather that from the Lenco Heaven forum, and the good stuff I hear about him.
I’m fascinated to know if his new design at 5x the price of a restored original is really worth this.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
www.firstvoice-audio.com
A High end turntable from France, around 400 lb. The designer has worked a lot with idler drive prototypes and use belt now with a very powerfull 230 volt motor.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing