Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on new table

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonza View Post
    Hey. Just joined the forum after reviewing threads for sometime.

I know this is a subjective question but would appreciate y'alls thoughts on a purchase I'm planning.

I currently have an SME 20/2, which I purchased used about 14 years ago. It's been a great table, but I'm upgrading my whole system and am planning to purchase a much more substantial table.

I was planning to buy a SME 30/12 because I have been so content with my current table, but for some reason I'm also very drawn to the VPI classic direct, which is a bit less expensive as well.

Any opinions as to which of these I should buy? I listen primarily to rock, blues, some jazz.

Associated equipment is audio research ref 6 preamp, audio research ref 3 phono, Mark levinson 536 amps, magico s5 mkii speakers

Thanks!

Anthony
    When people ask advice between two turntables, most audiophiles can't resist lauding their own preference. I will stick to your choices.

Both are excellent choices. The SME 30/12 with its tonearm is a great choice for someone wanting a great sound with emotional stability. It is extremely easy to set-up, no other further adjustments after initial setup.

The classic direct is conceptually more up-to-date - a SOTA direct drive from a company with long successful tradition in quality turntables. The 3D tonearm is much less reviewed and referred than the SMEV 12, it has the great advantage that you can get arm setups easily changeable. As far as I remember in the US the VPI system costs significantly less than the SME - you could use the difference in a better cartridge.

Although I love the SME, if I lived in Texas I probably get the VPI ...

BTW, the SME 30 is miles ahead of a SME 20, and although I have no experience with the VPI, I am admitting it is in the same sonic class as the VPI if used in a proper stand - the VPI has no suspension.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    In my quest for all audio exotica that is left field, out there and downright irresistible, if I was spending the budget needed for top SME, Kronos, TW, Spiral Groove, GPA Monaco, AF2 etc etc, Id seriously investigate the Audiosilente Blackstone idler.
    Twin graphite plinth system w graphite armbds, multiple layer metal/graphite platter, all new design pulley/idler based on venerable Thorens 124, quartz speed control, Papst indestructible motor.
    Youre getting a LOT for yr 35-40k.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    In my quest for all audio exotica that is left field, out there and downright irresistible, if I was spending the budget needed for top SME, Kronos, TW, Spiral Groove, GPA Monaco, AF2 etc etc, I’d seriously investigate the Audiosilente Blackstone idler.
    Twin graphite plinth system w graphite armbds, multiple layer metal/graphite platter, all new design pulley/idler based on venerable Thorens 124, quartz speed control, Papst indestructible motor.
    You’re getting a LOT for yr €35-40k.
    Audiosilente's Simon is known for his 124 mods.
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

I gather that from the Lenco Heaven forum, and the good stuff I hear about him.
    Im fascinated to know if his new design at 5x the price of a restored original is really worth this.

www.firstvoice-audio.com
    A High end turntable from France, around 400 lb. The designer has worked a lot with idler drive prototypes and use belt now with a very powerfull 230 volt motor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123