Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Certainly my favorite room in the UK.

The hORNS Universum, also compares of amps with:
Gu71 valves
two GM70 amps
EL84
EL34 (compared with KT90 and 6L6G on the same amp)
others...

Also notes of how the Universum compares to competition

http://zero-distortion.org/horns-universum-mkiii/

Attachments

• Ming Da Universum.jpg
    Ming Da Universum.jpg
    776.8 KB · Views: 485
  • Listeners.jpg
    Listeners.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
hORNS had demoed with those Cube EL84 amps during the Audio Video Show 2016 in Warsaw. I think they will bring them this year too. I need to listen to them more closely.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
The lady on the right is the spitting image of my long dead grandmother!

Those Mings sounded great on some large Art Audio speakers at a Bristol show a while back, though spec wise they are quite high distortion I believe. Nice distortion, evidently.

The hORNS Universum, though, all yours Ked. Just don't like them sonically in any way.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The lady on the right is the spitting image of my long dead grandmother!

Those Mings sounded great on some large Art Audio speakers at a Bristol show a while back, though spec wise they are quite high distortion I believe. Nice distortion, evidently.

The hORNS Universum, though, all yours Ked. Just don't like them sonically in any way.

Well, I have to agree with Ked on this one and thought they sounded great.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh ok...interesting, because there I preferred the EL34 and 84 mids and the GU81 power, and the Silvercore had the 833 combined with EL34.

Those amps are 35k but they have a similar amp at 15k without all the fancy case work which is supposed to sound as good

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, well good to have a choice of three final spkrs ie Apogee Scintillas, Silvercore horns, and Universums
Is the final room going to dictate the final choice, financial considerations aside?
Eg in yr current apartment that I have some recollection of, which would work best?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, well good to have a choice of three final spkrs ie Apogee Scintillas, Silvercore horns, and Universums
Is the final room going to dictate the final choice, financial considerations aside?
Eg in yr current apartment that I have some recollection of, which would work best?

Scintilla.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No, it is the GU81 - a 833 like tube! :D

What is the price of the MING DA Dynasty Cantabile-Grande's?

TubeGuru from Hungary makes a GU81 based monos as well. Look beastly.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
TubeGuru from Hungary makes a GU81 based monos as well. Look beastly.

Thanks for pointing them - just found the site http://www.tubeguru.eu/. The amplifiers look great, with an exceptional build quality compared to most similar products we see in the net. Strange that the GU81 is not protected - do they think that the horrible yellow tubes are enough to keep people away? Do you have an idea of RRP?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for pointing them - just found the site http://www.tubeguru.eu/. The amplifiers look great, with an exceptional build quality compared to most similar products we see in the net. Strange that the GU81 is not protected - do they think that the horrible yellow tubes are enough to keep people away? Do you have an idea of RRP?

I had a chance to buy a pair of the 6C33C monoblocks a couple of years ago for a very nice price and i was kicking myself afterwards for not trying them out. I do not know the RRP of the amps from this company other than they are quite reasonable (more like older NAT prices) compared to a lot of the usual suspects.

Those Yellow tubes are going to be sufficient to keep you from getting shocked from a casual touch or bump. There is probably 1500V or so on those tubes so that should be adequate insulation.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I had a chance to buy a pair of the 6C33C monoblocks a couple of years ago for a very nice price and i was kicking myself afterwards for not trying them out. I do not know the RRP of the amps from this company other than they are quite reasonable (more like older NAT prices) compared to a lot of the usual suspects.

Those Yellow tubes are going to be sufficient to keep you from getting shocked from a casual touch or bump. There is probably 1500V or so on those tubes so that should be adequate insulation.

The Dual mono 6C33C stereo amp is 6K euro.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thank you very much Adam.
In about 5 weeks, I will take delivery of mine :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Christoph's new hORNs Universums, with Lampi and Kronzilla. Still have to listen to this set up, but surely this is just one of the most glorious of views

Attachments

• IMG-3360 (1).JPG
    IMG-3360 (1).JPG
    236.2 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Hi Ked

Thanks for posting the pic for me.
No chance from my phone with the whole resolution pic...

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Christoph's new hORNs Universums, with Lampi and Kronzilla. Still have to listen to this set up, but surely this is just one of the most glorious of views
Wow, I like very much both- the setup and the view.
Congratulations Christoph.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Thank you very much, Marslo.
I also like your system with Lampi, Ayon Crossfire and the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo as well as your beautiful Art behind the system :cool:

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
Hi Christoph

They look absolutely amazing mate and I bet they sound incredible, look forward to hearing them in the near future

Nice one, the Universums are my all time favourite speaker

Lee

mr.gregdee

Oct 3, 2016
E.Sussex ,UK
gpoint-audio.com

Wow! Both views are wonderful :) Asystem and The Landscape :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing