Really getting overwhelmed shopping for first record player

atsmusic

Jul 4, 2017
I have a fairly high end system but it has always been digital. I want to get a good vinyl setup going.
I would like to be able to get away with an under 2k package but I am not sure what say spending another 1k would get me and if it would be worth it?
What i am looking at right now is the discontinued rega rp-6 for about 1500, the music hall mmf 7.3 for about the same. I like these because they come with everything you need for the most part. Dust cover, cartridge.
It seems VPI may be a new religion or something. People really seem dedicated to that brand. So makes me wonder if it is worth it to get a Classic 1 and then have to shell out for the cover and cartridge.

I don't know I am lost in reality and really confused. There are so many choices out there. What I hate is pretty much every review for every piece of gear is 5/5. Makes it a lot harder.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Contact Music Direct. Many choices with return / refund option.

But do check on cartridge policy return.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I have a fairly high end system but it has always been digital. I want to get a good vinyl setup going.
I would like to be able to get away with an under 2k package but I am not sure what say spending another 1k would get me and if it would be worth it?
What i am looking at right now is the discontinued rega rp-6 for about 1500, the music hall mmf 7.3 for about the same. I like these because they come with everything you need for the most part. Dust cover, cartridge.
It seems VPI may be a new religion or something. People really seem dedicated to that brand. So makes me wonder if it is worth it to get a Classic 1 and then have to shell out for the cover and cartridge.

I don't know I am lost in reality and really confused. There are so many choices out there. What I hate is pretty much every review for every piece of gear is 5/5. Makes it a lot harder.

5/5 reviews are utterly unhelpful IMHO

Do you have to buy new? can you consider second hand?
If you can get your hands on a second hand Townshend Rock Elite, you are gonna be getting what I consider one of the TT bargains of all time. I have a heavily modified one with:
turntable with mission arm and a pickering xdv 4000 £400ukp
Acrylic Platter £150 UKP
Berger LAhrs motor £300
Berhard Fuss power Supply £250
Origin Live Belt £30

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Do you have a record collection?

I'm just going to say this as I've gone down your path and owned both Clearaudio Concept and VPI Traveler and imo you need to spend much more to get good analog sound. If I were doing it over, I would save for a Technics 1200G.

Yes, I know this won't be a popular response but I feel digital is better than analog at lower price points. There can be some vintage exceptions but they have increased so much in price it's hard to say.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
And if you just want to try analog out, I would get a Pioneer PLX1000 for $699 that wont break the bank or lose much money on resale.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
In my opinion, there is a reason that people quickly turned to CD, it is easier and much less expensive to get a phenomenal sound from a simple CD player. To get phenomenal analog sound, you need a really good turntable, cartridge, tonearm, cleaner and phono stage. And let's not forget really clean, unwrapped and unscratched records. If you want to mess around and enjoy the nostalgia of a vinyl set up, you can't go wrong with a Music Hall 2.2 for $300.

This is from a person that has over $150K in his vinyl step up (including 4,000 records).

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The Technics SL-1200GR is $1700, not that far off from the Rega and Music Hall that the OP mentioned originally. Doesn't come with a cartridge, though...

atsmusic

Jul 4, 2017
Do you have a record collection?

I'm just going to say this as I've gone down your path and owned both Clearaudio Concept and VPI Traveler and imo you need to spend much more to get good analog sound. If I were doing it over, I would save for a Technics 1200G.

Yes, I know this won't be a popular response but I feel digital is better than analog at lower price points. There can be some vintage exceptions but they have increased so much in price it's hard to say.

yeah I actually a quit large record collection. Just nothing to play it on :)

I am reading all of these responses and seriously considering everything, everyone is saying.

I like the idea of the 700 pioneer to start heading down the vinyl path. I am going to look at this Technics 1200G you mentioned as well.

atsmusic

Jul 4, 2017
The Technics SL-1200GR is $1700, not that far off from the Rega and Music Hall that the OP mentioned originally. Doesn't come with a cartridge, though...

I am having trouble finding this for sale anywhere after doing a google search.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
We're getting some units later this month. It's heavily backordered everywhere, though... Demand is very strong the world over, and Technics USA didn't expect this much interest right from the start, so they're getting as many units to the US as possible, without compromising shipments to other countries.

atsmusic

Jul 4, 2017
We're getting some units later this month. It's heavily backordered everywhere, though... Demand is very strong the world over, and Technics USA didn't expect this much interest right from the start, so they're getting as many units to the US as possible, without compromising shipments to other countries.

Thanks for the reply, I went your website and contacted you there.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Where do you live? I'd find a good dealer. Let him/her sort through the "review noise." Plus set up and system matching is crucial in analog.

And I don't think anyone here, in reviews, or several dealers will agree on anything being "best." You just have to make a choice and be happy with how it sounds. If you think you may upgrade make sure you have trade in or resale options...some systems are easier to upgrade the arm or cartridge down the road so spend the money now on the table...then upgrade arm or cartridge later...

atsmusic

Jul 4, 2017
Where do you live? I'd find a good dealer. Let him/her sort through the "review noise." Plus set up and system matching is crucial in analog.

And I don't think anyone here, in reviews, or several dealers will agree on anything being "best." You just have to make a choice and be happy with how it sounds. If you think you may upgrade make sure you have trade in or resale options...some systems are easier to upgrade the arm or cartridge down the road so spend the money now on the table...then upgrade arm or cartridge later...

I was thinking it might be best to buy local since I know absolutely zero about setup and all. thanks.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
I know absolutely zero about setup
Friend bought a Pro-Ject The Classic recently as 1st deck & up & running in 5mins
cartridge factory fitted , dust cover , 33/45 electronic speed change , record clamp
future upgrades with better cartidge & PSU
sound is top notch as well & looks like a LP12

project-classic.jpg

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I was thinking it might be best to buy local since I know absolutely zero about setup and all. thanks.
It would also help guide responses here if you listed your system somewhere? One reason I am digital only at present (despite 2500 + LP's) is the relatively large amount of money I would need to spend to get LP playback I would enjoy. Others' opinions certainly differ, and I have frequently broadcast my opinion about the generally unsatisfying sound of LP's, so consider that too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing