Best EL34 amps

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
No, I have not heard the Challenger, but for a similar topology I am more comfortable sticking with the MB-185 Mk. III.

Your MB-185 uses EL-34s?

Please describe for us the differences in sound you hear between the triode mode and the tetrode mode.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Triode mode on electrostatics is wonderful

obviously tetrode is more powerful, and 'clean'

Triode is more earthy and inmate, with greater image palpability and density, microdymaics and timbre are enhanced

interestingly bass/midbass has more slam, and speed, but less ultimate power, drums more skin and body, as well as pitch

where it gets really interesting is varying the feedback, a great feature!

i listen to classical and jazz, so for rockers i cannot answer to their preferences

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
This year, I've heard the Unison Research S6 on three speakers: my AN-Es, the Odeon 28, and the Cube Audio Nenuphar.
I really enjoy the sound of this amp. In addition to being organic and natural-sounding (very nuanced on vocals), it has a 'propulsiveness' to it that brings musicians out into the room in a soundfield that is wonderfully layered. It really does draw me into the performance and provide an immersive listening experience (when the recording allows).
Unfortunately it is an integrated and I have a linestage. I could have my technician modify the unit to be a power amp, however.
I'm just curious as to what else is out there in EL34 amps that can be run in triode for about 30 watts. I have no interest in pentode or amps that parallel lots of tubes for huge power.

Last edited:

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Like several of the other guys, I have an Ars Sonum Filarmonia driving late model (the ones before Black Magic) Merlin TSM speakers. I've also swapped in the far more inexpensive Klipsch RP-600M monitors which sound remarkable with this amp.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This year, I've heard the Unison Research S6 on three speakers: my AN-Es, the Odeon 28, and the Cube Audio Nenuphar.
I really enjoy the sound of this amp. In addition to being organic and natural-sounding (very nuanced on vocals), it has a 'propulsiveness' to it that brings musicians out into the room in a soundfield that is wonderfully layered. It really does draw me into the performance and provide an immersive listening experience (when the recording allows).
Unfortunately it is an integrated and I have a linestage. I could have my technician modify the unit to be a power amp, however.
I'm just curious as to what else is out there in EL34 amps that can be run in triode for about 30 watts. I have no interest in pentode or amps that parallel lots of tubes for huge power.
The little Mastersound Dieundici isn’t bad at all...makes nice music with my Decware HDT single diver speakers.

Reactions: Exlibris

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
ConradJohnson MV 50.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Vintage Marantz of course for EL34.
Hard to beat for this tube variety . I have most of the squad except for the Model 9- the Model 2's are killer.

Attachments

• IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    123.3 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: RogerD

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Air Tight ATM1 and ATM3. I have the last for more than 20 years and still happy. I know both very well and I compared them to many. I still find them fantastic for sound and reliability.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I compared the new airtight el34 to their integrated 300b on Cessaro Wagner and devore Orangutan. With the Wagner the el34 gave it more life as the Wagner needed that power. On devore the 300b which is only 10w was much superior.

I have also compared the Kondo el34 on devore. Did not like.

EL84 is a much more lyrical tube though you lose a bit of bass so you need to match properly. The cube EL84 from Poland sound nice on the horns Universum

Reactions: gian60 and Exlibris

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
So far, the one and only EL34 based amplifier I listened to "transfixed", in fact was an integrated amplifier, the Kondo Overture - simply marvellous!
Going for around 25 grand in $AUD, I was bit hesitant to engage in that kind of expenditure for just 32 watts. Then again as I used it for a short while on my previous Quads ESL2905's, I realised this is no ordinary 32w integrated, rather this is a pure Class A design, and when you look inside, the multiple transformers and ultra-highend quality parts throughout, OK now I understand why the 20 grand and over tag...

Anyway, it was the most beautiful one month experience of a pure class A integrated I ever had driving the Quads at their finest, and when it was rightfully returned to the owner, after an overseas stint, I was indeed very sad. Until! I managed to get the CJ CAV45 EL34 based and another integrated! Oh my! For a fraction of that cost (Kondo Overture) and no pure Class A or anything, just 45w of pure AB push-pull design in pentode mode, it was the most enjoyable amplifier I've ever used to date! The level of musicality was unsurpassed.

Fast fwd to 2019, now this is a very different system, and no more EL34's but the superb musicality of CJ amplification with the CLX's continues...

Cheers to those fantastic EL34 designs!
RJ

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
One more listening note: with the EL34 amp it's as if listening is done with the whole body. Switching back to my lower-powered 45, I feel that I'm only listening from the neck up; it's more cerebral and less tactile. Which amp would I prefer on >100dB speakers? I have no idea.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing