Best EL34 amps

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Three good alternatives in different price ranges:

Mastersound Dueundici SET integrated
Ars -Sonum Filarmonia, the little miracle from Spain. Marvelous!
Kondo Overture if money does not matter :).

JP

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
The Wavestream el34 based mono amps are very nice. Scott Franklin design but hard to find. The Analog Room in Campbell CA is the home shop for the Wavestream audio products. The had a pair set up in the big room last year.

+1!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nothing against pp amps personally, but I'd go with a big SET, maybe w/EL34 driving a 211, over a pp amp of any kind.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Actually I heard a SET, 12w, and another integrated, with two different horns, and some compares with other SETs and tubes over the last few months. Will write about it soon, the upload has been taking a while.

Audion Sterling is an EL34 SET...

MtnHam

Industry Expert
Jan 12, 2014
Nothern California Wine Country
The Walcott P280-M Mono Block 280W EL34 amplifiers are no longer being made, but are known to be one of the best.

http://www.wolcottaudio.com/WA_presence.htm

Henry Wolcott is long gone, and his amps are tough to service due to his brilliant, unconventional patented circuit design, and he never made the schematic available. They are legendary for their ability to drive difficult loads, such as Sound Lab electrostatics.

A review by Dick Olsher:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0700/wolcottaudio.htm

Last edited:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,

Radford STA 25 are really good In PP El34 Triode...
Alternative really good Tube Amps
TFK V69 with F2a
Michealson&Austin TVA1 KT 88 more Power
Raphael Audio Stereo 60 (Audio Workshop Kit)El34

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Three good alternatives in different price ranges:

Mastersound Dueundici SET integrated
Ars -Sonum Filarmonia, the little miracle from Spain. Marvelous!
Kondo Overture if money does not matter :).

JP

As well as the MastersounD Dueventi Parallel SET integrated. This one includes a remote and a switch on the back to switch from pentode to triode mode on the fly.

The Unison Research Simply Italy is another good one for SET el34 power.

Vinyl Valet

Dec 17, 2016
Tempe, AZ
Jep, I also have a Filarmonia (driving Melin Black Magic TSMs in a secondary system). What is your EL34 preference in that amp? Right now I'm using the stock JJs but plan on trying the GL KT77 and maybe the new Sophia EL34-ST when I have some extra cash.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Had a Lectron JH 50 from the early nineties on for almost a decade. It was a very clean and fast amp, really loved what it did. But it was also a bit of a love-hate-relationship because it just ate away tubes, needed a new set every three years or so. Exactly what I needed back then being a student. But it had such a great sound...

jh50.JPG

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
For me it has to be none other than two really superb EL34 based topology amps. One that is actually way more affordable than the other but the latter one performs in a league of its own:
1. Conrad Johnson CAV45
2. Kondo Overture

Have had both these amps in my home system, and previously owned the CAV45 until last just week! The CAV45's resolution is extraordinary. I still regret letting it go but with KT120's it drives the Ethos Panel towards another platform altogether. If I had no priorities, I would have definitely kept the CAV45, it is one very special amp with the right kind of transducers. It is totally engaging when listening to music and hopefully Keddo- you won't get bored...

If you want to take this to another level of sonic purity and realism, the Overture will knock off all misconceptions of EL34's, as this amp runs in pure Class A- marvelous sound indeed!

Cheers mate, RJ

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi.
Which speakers did you use with the CAV 45? I am looking for a great EL 34 based Integrated that does not cost as the Kondo :). As an extra amp, I love EL 34.

JP

Nilau

May 31, 2015
Copenhagen, Denmark
Had a Lectron JH 50 from the early nineties on for almost a decade. It was a very clean and fast amp, really loved what it did. But it was also a bit of a love-hate-relationship because it just ate away tubes, needed a new set every three years or so. Exactly what I needed back then being a student. But it had such a great sound...

View attachment 36909

Hi...
If your Lectron JH 50 "ate away tubes" it surely must have been adjusted in a very wrong way. It actually is quite soft on the tubes, and the output tubes should last for several years...and the small tubes...almost forever!

Regards
Nilau

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hi, what are your favorite EL34 amps?

I will tell you when I pick up my new Mastersound EL34 SEP (single ended pentode) later this week. I will use it on my DECware HDTs for a sweet little "late night" system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Good to know.

Reactions: gian60

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Good to know.

picked it up tonight. Will set it up tomorrow or over the weekend. Demo was nice as it has a clean clear sound. The guys main system was a complete Tobian System, speakers, preamp, amp and DAC. Was pretty good sounding...

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
picked it up tonight. Will set it up tomorrow or over the weekend. Demo was nice as it has a clean clear sound. The guys main system was a complete Tobian System, speakers, preamp, amp and DAC. Was pretty good sounding...

That's a key characteristic I've found with all the MastersounD amplifiers I've had thus far. Glad to see it is also there in the entry level unit.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have a late entrant for the EL34 sweepstakes: VTL MB-185 Series III, using eight EL34s, producing 140 watts in triode mode.

And what about a Jadis fitted with EL34s?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes Ron the VTL 185 I have heard on my CLX, love the variable feedback

Have u heard of the Audiovalve challenger 140 , I had the smaller 70 ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing