Best rock and blues 45 RPMs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, which are the best rock and blues 45 RPMs you guys have? Those with that analog bass, like the one that exists in the Led Zep originals, or in the Nirvana nevermind?

Is there any other thread for rock LPs?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi, which are the best rock and blues 45 RPMs you guys have? Those with that analog bass, like the one that exists in the Led Zep originals, or in the Nirvana nevermind?

Is there any other thread for rock LPs?

off the top of my head.....and I pretty much have them all.

Stevie Ray Vaughan--45rpm box set
the Doors, Box set or individual (Born on The Bayou is epic)
Muddy Waters, Folk Singer
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Sessions (even though it's a digital recording)
If I Could Only Remember My Name--David Crosby
any of the AP blues 45's have pretty excellent bass.

there are also many of the 'dance mix' 45rpm's with outstanding bass.

a couple that come to mind;

AC/CD--You Shook Me All Night Long
Lou Reed--Walk On The Wild Side

if you want me to check out the bass of any of them i'll be glad to, it's a tough job but somebody's got to do it.;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
off the top of my head.....and I pretty much have them all.

Stevie Ray Vaughan--45rpm box set
the Doors, Box set or individual
Muddy Waters, Folk Singer
Crosby, Stills and Nash
Cowboy Junkies, Trinity Sessions
If I Could Only Remember My Name
any of the AP blues 45's have pretty excellent bass.

there are also many of the 'dance mix' 45rpm's with outstanding bass.

a couple that come to mind;

AC/CD--You Shook Me All Night Long
Lou Reed--Walk On The Wild Side

Now how would you know about 45s :rolleyes:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
In that case, you are the most flawed character on this forum

I resemble that.:D

btw; I have not dived deep into the Peter Gabriel or Bob Dylan 45's (I have a few of the Dylan), so there may be some great bass there.

I bought all the 33's of the Gabriel and hardly played them, so just figured I don't need the 45's. they are digital recordings in any case.

and I forgot about the recent Ted Nugent, and Leonard Skynard 45's which both do have nice bass.

then there is 'Sly and the Family Stone', 'There's a Riot Going On'.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dylan’s my second favorite, so would be good to know if it is worth going 45 for him over say, a DSD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
can't do it today, but I will listen to the Dylan's I have tomorrow and report.

I know they sound great, but just can't recall the bass.

Not only bass, just if it's worth going over a quality digital recording. No rush

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Not only bass, just if it's worth going over a quality digital recording. No rush

just get the Dylan's I'd say. the one's I have are very fine.

there are other 'pop' 45's like Holly Cole, Jennifer Warnes, Patricia Barber, and Lorna Hunt which are pretty good.

the Lorna Hunt 'All In One Day' is an analog recording I would recommend. Holly Cole's 'Temptation' has excellent bass.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
and the 'King Kong' 45' bass Lp is Micky Hart's 'Dafos' on Reference Recordings, a real torture test......but musically it's more demo disc than music.....and a little scarce.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Also i have Holly Cole temptation,45 from Classic records and bass is very good,also
Janis Jan AP
Albert King with SRV In Session AP
Rickie Lee Jones Mofi
Patricia Barber Cafe Blue,Companion,Modern Cool,Nightclub Mofi

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Most of the music recordings mentioned in this thread I have, or on SACD or/and on CD.
I love 45s but can they have more and better bass than the other mediums above?

Holly Cole, Patricia Barber, Muddy Waters, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, ... on SACD; the bass is excellent in the two formers, but the last three not so much (but it's the recordings, older stuff).
_____

* I would need a high-end rig in digital, and another one in analog to truly find out. Or, unless Mike can tell me; I fully trust his ears, and systems, of course. :b
Those are all good music stuff; SRV, Rickie, Janis, Albert, Santana, Led Z, Mickey Hart, Bobby, Holly, Patty, Jennifer, CSN, AC/DC, ... some of them in hi-res multichannel ... a good treat.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Rickie Lee Jones, "It's like this" on Analogue Productions 45 has great bass !
Just listened to it again, what a great album, fantastic sound, much better on vinyl than the sacd.
Gave me a craving for more female vocals on vinyl, not 45, but Emmylou Harris "Wrecking ball" has great bass and drum work. The second part with "out takes", sound even better, less production by Daniel Lanois. Now will somebody please release a vinyl version of "Spyboy", best live album of all time. Talk about bass and drums, it will show what you system is capable of !

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Any good/great 45 RPM Bass candidates here?

Brian Eno
Alan Parsons
Dire Straits
Billy Joel
Linda Ronstadt
Fleetwood Mac

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sirs,

Holly Cole Temptation. Which one should I get the 45 Classic Records or 200g Blue Note?

Tang

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Tang
Also I have the 8 45 classic record of Holly cole temptation

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing