Jeff's Getting a New Stereo System

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think we all understand that R&D is only a very small part of the true cost of high end products. A much bigger factor is the overall market for the product ( usually extremely limited in its scope) and the required profit to cover all of the usual suspects...aka middle men and other distributors. Looking at cartridges ( which i have been doing a lot of recently) it is clear that the overall cost to manufacture the product is but a mere fraction of the overall cost to the end user. A huge proportion goes to the middle man. An example of this, can be found by looking at the many high end cartridges for sale in Japan ( at the Japanese online shops) and comparing that very same cartridge to the price here in the US. ( Or for that matter in Europe).

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

I have to admit that the speaker I'd be leaning towards is the S5MkII. I heard these at Myles' place 2 weeks ago and they are just wonderful. There's nothing at all that calls attention to themselves or gets in the way of the music. As I commented recently on ack's thread, I was convinced there was a subwoofer in the system but there was not (admittedly Myles' room is on the smaller side). But that speaker is just one beautiful piece of engineering and uncanny musical value. One of the best parts was that there is no head bobbing and weaving to find the "sweet spot" as there often is with line arrays (horizontal head bobbing) or D'Appolito configurations such as my Alexandrias (vertical head bobbing).

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I have to admit that the speaker I'd be leaning towards is the S5MkII. I heard these at Myles' place 2 weeks ago and they are just wonderful. There's nothing at all that calls attention to themselves or gets in the way of the music. As I commented recently on ack's thread, I was convinced there was a subwoofer in the system but there was not (admittedly Myles' room is on the smaller side). But that speaker is just one beautiful piece of engineering and uncanny musical value. One of the best parts was that there is no head bobbing and weaving to find the "sweet spot" as there often is with line arrays (horizontal head bobbing) or D'Appolito configurations such as my Alexandrias (vertical head bobbing).

Fully concur , much prefer it to the Q7 . Sounded stellar @Munich 2016 with Constellation gear . Room filling and effortless . Have not heard their M series though .

Is this to replace your X2 ?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Fully concur , much prefer it to the Q7 . Sounded stellar @Munich 2016 with Constellation gear . Room filling and effortless . Have not heard their M series though .

Is this to replace your X2 ?

My room is large (20 x 32 x 14) and I don't think the S5MkII can pull off the sound stage for power music at full orchestral tilt in such a room. However, my guess is that small scale works would be delightful. The X2 still has legs. I haven't optimized the set-up yet. As they say, it's a work in progress. Damn, I miss DSP.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

My recent experience with the S5MkII was almost the polar opposite of what you describe...except that it seemed that a subwoofer was in the system...albeit poorly adjusted and boomy.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My recent experience with the S5MkII was almost the polar opposite of what you describe...except that it seemed that a subwoofer was in the system...albeit poorly adjusted and boomy.

You always seem to pick the worst Magico demos ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing