Jeff's Getting a New Stereo System

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
As a general comment I think they are relevant - and I we will friendly disagree on the sound quality of their tube amplifiers.

Again you refer to shows and anonymous models that I can not compare with those I named, I refer to my limited experience in my room and a good friend installations, who cared to expertly fine tune the system. At that time this friend was the Dynaudio distributor - much later I even bought from him my current Forsell turntable, based on great listening session we had in his very large room. I can add that in his system he also used the Consequence's with the more powerful VAC mono blocks.

Many solid state power amplifiers have high power but are not agile. Sometimes they need a good preamplifier to inject life in all this power, or are simply unable to have subjective dynamics. Another local friend had a curious mixed combination Dynaudio Contour4's - Electrocompaniet AW250 - ARC tube preamplfier. Very enjoyable, IMHO.

We are exposing preferences - I will always try to refer mostly to the positive experiences I had, giving some detail that I think can interest WBF readers. And yes, although only a few times, I had some exceptional listening sessions in shows.

You think comments on Mc tube amps relevant to the sound of Mc SS amps? Whatever...

I owned Contour 1.3 MkII and 1.8 Mk II models. A friend has their top fully active model (Focus 600 XD). Have heard at shows everything from 25 aniversary standmount to Evidence and Temptation and Confidence (big model) and latest Consequence design. In shops I have heard the original Confidence 5 and Contour 3.3. In another home I heard the Confidence 3 standmounts. I also had a pair of Madisound Dynaudio Kit (similar in sound to the Contour 1.3). In a studio, I heard large monitors (dual big woofers etc. not small at all). All have a similar character but a bit changed in degree. My wife could not understand how my friend could chose such horrible sounding speakers (Focus 600 XD) that cost so much (to her).

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have a SET friend who loves the 501s for SS. must depend on the speaker.

We tried them with several speakers...same mediocre results...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I owned the same Contours. Power hungry little %^*&**s . Aleph 0s couldn't bring either to life. I ended up selling them because they needed big iron and the only big amp I had was in the main system.

The 1.3 ended up with a good friend who used them with Musical Fidelity XA-200s. He got much better sound from them than I did.

Another friend has the Evidence, sounds good with his Classe Omegas. I think the pattern is pretty clear here.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I owned the same Contours. Power hungry little %^*&**s . Aleph 0s couldn't bring either to life. I ended up selling them because they needed big iron and the only big amp I had was in the main system.

The 1.3 ended up with a good friend who used them with Musical Fidelity XA-200s. He got much better sound from them than I did.

Another friend has the Evidence, sounds good with his Classe Omegas. I think the pattern is pretty clear here.

Speakers that NEED a lot of watts just to "wake up" cannot do low level and high dynamic contrast well...nevermind that the amps will inhibit this as well...dynamics aren't about the watts!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
You think comments on Mc tube amps relevant to the sound of Mc SS amps? Whatever...

My comment was on the general pairing of Dynaudio and McIntosh, not on Jeff choices. McIntosh manufactures medium and high power tube amplfiers.

You think comments on Mc tube amps relevant to the sound of Mc SS amps?

I owned Contour 1.3 MkII and 1.8 Mk II models. A friend has their top fully active model (Focus 600 XD). Have heard at shows everything from 25 aniversary standmount to Evidence and Temptation and Confidence (big model) and latest Consequence design. In shops I have heard the original Confidence 5 and Contour 3.3. In another home I heard the Confidence 3 standmounts. I also had a pair of Madisound Dynaudio Kit (similar in sound to the Contour 1.3). In a studio, I heard large monitors (dual big woofers etc. not small at all). All have a similar character but a bit changed in degree. My wife could not understand how my friend could chose such horrible sounding speakers (Focus 600 XD) that cost so much (to her).

Also IMHO, the Dynaudio Special One's, that I used as rear channels and later as office speakers, were much more interesting than the 25th anniversary. One pair of Confidence 5's are still playing in an acquaintance close to me - they were very limited in the low bass at moderate levels, but impressive for rock at high levels.

As a side remark, I smiled when people referred that the treble was coming from the bottom of the Consequences - probably because they listened too close. When at proper distance - around 4m - they had fantastic imaging with the delicate and energetic treble fully integrated in the soundstage. BTW, I owned the Consequence II, not the Ultra.

I also owned the Evidence Temptation for some time - perhaps mainly because it was a tempting per-owned deal, the price was too low to say no, and the shadow of the Consequence' s was still floating around. A really difficult speaker, but once paired with a pair of top subs could make an excellent sounding system.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Speakers that NEED a lot of watts just to "wake up" cannot do low level and high dynamic contrast well...nevermind that the amps will inhibit this as well...dynamics aren't about the watts!

I appreciate that you have strong opinions but please don't shout. You don't know me.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Always thought Dyn monitors were good - the 1.3SE and C1 in particular. New Contour 20s sounded great at a recent show on Octave tube gear. I look forward to Jeff's write-up.

I have never understood the alleged Dyn/Sim synergy however. I would probably run new Dyns with Dagostino.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I appreciate that you have strong opinions but please don't shout. You don't know me.

Shout? What are you talking about. One word in caps is emphasis not shouting.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I really don't think we need to get into the use of exclamation points morricab. At least I hope not.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I really don't think we need to get into the use of exclamation points morricab. At least I hope not.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Apologies if it appeared that way...it was not intended to be a shout...just emphatic.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No problem morricab

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No problem AT ALL!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
LOL I think I'm starting to get that UK humour. See I even spelled that your way.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Your Journey aside Jeff, what will happen to Soundstage Ultra now that you are exploring what would be candidates for maybe Soundstage HiFi and maybe even Soundstage's Simplifi?

As for your motivation, I wish you all the best. Nothing trumps family. Your wife and kids are lucky to have you.

This is actually the question I am grappling with right now. Two things come to mind: 1.) To most, five figures for a set of speakers is really expensive. 2.) The name Ultra should not apply to price, but to performance.

Still, your point is valid. Thanks for the kind words about family.

EricDH

May 18, 2013
Abu Dhabi - UAE
Jeff could replace his Magico Q7 II with the new Magico M3, replace the Solution with Spectral and get a great turntable and be done. Or does anyone think he will switch to SETs and horns or some completely different direction? I'd like to know more about why and to what. And of course, will "value components" equal the same quality sound or better.

Well, an M3 coupled with Spectral amplification is certainly a heck of a system, and something I could live with forever. And Jeff may well end up here. But I am pretty sure that he will start listening at a significant lower price level first, and see if he can live happily with that. If not, he will move to more expensive stuff and try again. And if necessary, again. At least, that is how I interpret his article.

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
In the 1983 / 1984 years in my job I meet people with Ferarri cars, not entry level model, who all were dreaming of the F 50 which at that time was the absolut.
For me music comes first but I am unable to take pleasure listening home on a mainstream system .
I think as J Hiraga, that for a real pleasure you need to be more than a basic buyer ,but try to get the best of whatever you have and try to get it work at it's s best. In fact best sound is a quest and the pleasure is in this quest.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jeff, welcome back to the Real World

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing