Jeff's Getting a New Stereo System

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Starting this thread was an advert for the article on his own homepage, nothing more :p

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
To be honest, I think it's a little rude or standoffish at least for Jeff not to reply to any comments left on his thread
Not expecting any concrete info, but at least some discourse and replies to ideas put fwds
It's his thread, but seems a bit egotistical to not even join in
Ho-hum

Why should he respond here? I would think he will post anything interesting on this topic on his own Web site.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm sure you're right

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
To be honest, I think it's a little rude or standoffish at least for Jeff not to reply to any comments left on his thread
Not expecting any concrete info, but at least some discourse and replies to ideas put fwds
It's his thread, but seems a bit egotistical to not even join in
Ho-hum

i think thats a bit tough , i think his intent was to say he was going in a new direction, not reply to this thread, he is very generous with his advice, when called for :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Point taken
I'm sure he is
The article was pretty frank
I withdraw my petty criticism
Marc on the Naughty Step

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
lol :)

i say what i did because only yesterday he gave me some excellent advice ........unsolicited ..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let me guess
"I have a pair of Magicos driven by Soulutions that sound just great which are yours if you want 'em"
Seriously, it's always great to get advice like Jeff's to you, priceless
I pretty much got an in depth opinion when I least was expecting it from a big player in audio that mercifully got me off the reel to reel bug that had infected me, and saved me from potential financial and emotional turmoil
Thank the Lord he intervened (this guy, not the Lord LOL)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Let me guess
"I have a pair of Magicos driven by Soulutions that sound just great which are yours if you want 'em"

how did you know?.....picked them up last night......removalist putting them in place as we speak......first listen....while still in their boxes...deathly quiet backgrounds ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He got Wilson Sabrina and replaced his devialet with Macintosh c37 and 301 mono

Dr Tone

Apr 24, 2016

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I'm Jeff but I'm no Jeff Fritz. :)

Oh. Ok, confusion... Another Jeff posted on audio shark (dr tone), so that was the confusion. Fake news, ignore

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bonzo, you've gone and TRUMPED again LOL !

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Just my take – when one keeps experimenting in one’s own system and room, even as a reviewer, they get stuck in their own path. Improvement usually happens in the same direction, not a radically different direction.

This is so true. We do tend to stay with what we are comfortable with. "...stuck in their own path" is a good way to put it. I'm guilty of this and likely will be in the future. Though another SoundStage! writer just went from cones to MartinLogans. Think I'm going to have to give that a try in my room.

Here is the next part of the series:

http://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...46-jeffs-getting-a-new-stereo-system-part-two

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is so true. We do tend to stay with what we are comfortable with. "...stuck in their own path" is a good way to put it. I'm guilty of this and likely will be in the future. Though another SoundStage! writer just went from cones to MartinLogans. Think I'm going to have to give that a try in my room.

Here is the next part of the series:

http://www.soundstageultra.com/inde...46-jeffs-getting-a-new-stereo-system-part-two

I had Martin Logan Summits and could not think of anything else, aspirational speakers without then having heard would have been CLX and Soundlabs at best. Small changes were an improvement. Now I realize big improvements can happen only after selling off, unlearning, and re-learning.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, that's your opinion, and only an opinion amongst many
Just as valid is working the upgrade seam, finding what works and doesn't work, making some eureka discoveries, and upgrading to accommodate and maximise these discoveries
So for me finding rim drive tt, linear tracking arm, SETs and high efficiency full range spkrs has been a destination point predicated on a few leaps of faith/love at first listen
No need to go system less

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Indeed, just one particular opinion. I have made great, even enormous improvements in my system since 2012 without changing its basic concept, i.e. monitor/sub combo with low-wattage push-pull triode amps (the amps are still the same, only upgraded with external power supplies and better components). This concept will most likely never change. I know that other types of systems can produce certain awesome results that the type of my system can not -- in order to realize that I do not have to "unlearn and re-learn". Yet on the other hand my system reproduces certain aspects of music in a way that I do not want to, cannot, live without.

All high end is a compromise. I have found mine a long time ago, my system is just improving by going deeper along my path. If you think you can have a system that combines every best aspect of all possible systems, you are pitifully deluding yourself. You can throw as much money at it as you want, it is not going to happen. There is no absolute "audio nirvana".

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just as valid is working the upgrade seam, finding what works and doesn't work, making some eureka discoveries, and upgrading to accommodate and maximise these discoveries
So for me finding rim drive tt, linear tracking arm, SETs and high efficiency full range spkrs has been a destination point predicated on a few leaps of faith/love at first listen
No need to go system less

That's your opinion only is a pretty overdone statement on this forum, IMO

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I think when you are 'gear' focused and not 'sonic reference' focused you can get caught up in comparative type efforts (upgrade-itis) of gear instead of working toward a sonic ideal. once you have that 'sonic reference' in mind then either you get the pieces you have to work, or switch pieces.

how we come upon that 'sonic reference' can vary......and our 'sonic reference' will evolve over time too.

maybe it's 're-booting', as Ked mentioned. reject any allegiance to gear, driver type, amp topology, or source culture. just find the sound and then go search for how to get it.

maybe it's having all the pieces but not knowing how to assemble it.....until you get that sound in your mind to lead the way.

or maybe you have a direction changing moment, or life situation that changes your environment (or are a reviewer and need a fresh start to find relevance).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing