First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Wow. I had a GT 2000 as well. "Gigantic & Tremendous". Don't see many of those of audio forums. Next to the Monaco, it was the best deck I owned....well once I got its linear power supply from Japan. Fantastic speed stability, and a lovely nuanced sound. Huge though. It must have been over 35kg. In the end it was simply to big and heavy for me to move by myself.

By memory I seem to recall alot of the parts for the GT 2000/L/X (rotors, motor parts, tonearms (?) mostly came from Micro. Might be mistaken in that, but rings a bell.

I have always thought the higher end classic DDs were/are very under rated, and under priced. Becoming harder to find now, I imagine. I think Shane had a P10 as well as his current P3, at some stage.
I have the external PS and the vacuum platter. A friend also has one (after lusting for mine). He managed to find the cast iron cradle that brings the whole thing to 60kg!

Reactions: Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I have the external PS and the vacuum platter. A friend also has one (after lusting for mine). He managed to find the cast iron cradle that brings the whole thing to 60kg!

Oh my word - what a lovely deck. Congratulations.

Edit: @Maurits - I will be interested to read your thoughts on how your new Monaco compares with your ^ Basis.

Happy listening.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Wow. I had a GT 2000 as well. "Gigantic & Tremendous". Don't see many of those of audio forums. Next to the Monaco, it was the best deck I owned....well once I got its linear power supply from Japan. Fantastic speed stability, and a lovely nuanced sound. Huge though. It must have been over 35kg. In the end it was simply to big and heavy for me to move by myself.

By memory I seem to recall alot of the parts for the GT 2000/L/X (rotors, motor parts, tonearms (?) mostly came from Micro. Might be mistaken in that, but rings a bell.

I have always thought the higher end classic DDs were/are very under rated, and under priced. Becoming harder to find now, I imagine. I think Shane had a P10 as well as his current P3, at some stage.
I know motor control system is bi-directional servo from JVC...I am not sure the motor is from Micro because it is coreless, brushless and slotless and I don’t think Micro ever made anything like that for their TTS.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Oh my word - what a lovely deck. Congratulations. I will be interested to read your thoughts on how your new Monaco compares with your classic DD's.

Happy listening.
I am not getting a Monaco...out of my budget.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I am not getting a Monaco...out of my budget.

A Monaco is out of my budget as well! :)

Sorry - I thought I had read earlier you had just bought one. It must have been another member. I didn't check. There goes that failing memory of mine again....

Ahhh - it was @Maurits - have edited the above post to ask how it compares to his Basis.

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yea Fremer's original review may have been prejudicial perhaps but I think another factory is at play. Lack of size and bling. Lot's of audiophiles like large massive turntables and lots like bling. the Monaco is neither of them, instead concentrates on audio quality.

I had the original Monaco at home with Tri-Planar tonearm for about 3 months when I was baby sitting for a friend. Sound wise it was very similar sounding to my Pioneer Exclusive P3 DD table, especially with its speed and continuous in the bass. proper speed control has a lot to do with that.
The only thing I did not like was the clamp system was part of the design and really something you had to use to get the best out of the design - for me it was a bit of a pita to use. that may say more about me than the table :p but certainly a wonderful world class table.

Interesting, I love the clamp system and think it's fantastic. But I came from a SME 20/2 with a similar screw down type of clamp, so I was already used to this style of clamping.

Reactions: Andrew S. and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Interesting, I love the clamp system and think it's fantastic. But I came from a SME 20/2 with a similar screw down type of clamp, so I was already used to this style of clamping.

Yes, the v2.0's clamp offers repeatable accuracy. An LED lights briefly on the clamp when the specified pressure is reached. A small washer of variable durometer fits beneath the record according to record thickness/weight; this allows clamp pressure to stay constant across records. If you want to experiment or use a different pressure, the table comes with special tool that let's you adjust it. And the new clamp is updated with roller bearings, making spin down smooth. A relatively simple well engineered alternative to vacuum hold-down.

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
Oh my word - what a lovely deck. Congratulations.

Edit: @Maurits - I will be interested to read your thoughts on how your new Monaco compares with your ^ Basis.

Happy listening.
well, let me first say that I had the chance to buy a second hand Monaco and I could trade-in the Basis audio. It was perhaps a kind of a risk. But I'm so glad that I took it. It is one of my greatest purchase ever. I have it now for five days and can't stop playing vinyl. However I'm no longer able to compare the two tturntables directly. I can say that Monaco has a far langer sound image. You can look through the music and everything is in place. And it has lot more authority. That is my first impression for now. I had the basis audio for 5 years and like it a lot, but with Monaco there's no way back.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
well, let me first say that I had the chance to buy a second hand Monaco and I could trade-in the Basis audio. It was perhaps a kind of a risk. But I'm so glad that I took it. It is one of my greatest purchase ever. I have it now for five days and can't stop playing vinyl. However I'm no longer able to compare the two tturntables directly. I can say that Monaco has a far langer sound image. You can look through the music and everything is in place. And it has lot more authority. That is my first impression for now. I had the basis audio for 5 years and like it a lot, but with Monaco there's no way back.
That is absolutely wonderful news. Congratulations.

Reactions: Maurits and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I hear the enthusiasm in your voice, Maurits. It's great to learn you took a risk with a used turntable and it paid off for you - you picked a good one! The Monaco will grow with you as your system continues to improve. Come back after a while with further impressions.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Congratulations !! I'll echo your comments when I moved from my SME 20/2. It was an amazing first impression that hasn't ended or waned for me. I've now had 3 different arms on mine over the years. 4-5 cartridges. The table is a fixture for years and years to come. What arm and cartridge are you using?

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
Congratulations !! I'll echo your comments when I moved from my SME 20/2. It was an amazing first impression that hasn't ended or waned for me. I've now had 3 different arms on mine over the years. 4-5 cartridges. The table is a fixture for years and years to come. What arm and cartridge are you using?
I have a Triplanar VII U2 with a Vandenhul Crimson cartridge. If you have some suggestion for cartridges that would be good matches for my Triplanar. Please let me know.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Congrats. A mate of mine Ian had a Basis Debut and bought a demo Monaco v1. He also said the Monaco was a lot better sounding.
Enjoy.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have a Triplanar VII U2 with a Vandenhul Crimson cartridge. If you have some suggestion for cartridges that would be good matches for my Triplanar. Please let me know.
I had a few Lyra's on my Triplanar, with good results. I'm not familiar with your VdH to really comment on comparisons.

Reactions: Maurits

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
I had a few Lyra's on my Triplanar, with good results. I'm not familiar with your VdH to really comment on comparisons.
Triplanar with Lyra is a combination that you see a lot on the internet and I surely will try this soon. My VdH cartridge doesn't fit properly on the Triplanar. The body is too deep so that the cantilever is about 1mm to much forward.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Triplanar with Lyra is a combination that you see a lot on the internet and I surely will try this soon. My VdH cartridge doesn't fit properly on the Triplanar. The body is too deep so that the cantilever is about 1mm to much forward.

I had the exact same issue with my vdH Colibri Master Sig and Triplanar. If you send it to van den Hul he will trim the top of the large wood body so that it fits. There is brief thread about this:

Edit:

the problem
Colibri Triplanar Limit.jpg

solved vy vdh
DSC01817-1.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Maurits

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
I had the exact same issue with my vdH Colibri Master Sig and Triplanar. If you send it to van den Hul he will trim the top of the large wood body so that it fits. There is brief thread about this:

Edit:

the problem
View attachment 79215

solved vy vdh
View attachment 79216
Tim, did you ever tried the Fuuga on the Triplanar arm?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, did you ever tried the Fuuga on the Triplanar arm?

Not that I recall. I bought the Fuuga specifically to use on the 4Point, where, with its low compliance, it works great. That doesn't say it cannot work on the Tri-Planar. Maybe I can remember to try it next time I have the Triplanar installed. It is a really nice cartridge.

The Fuuga weighs 15g and has a compliance of 7cu measured at 100Hz. This suggests medium to heavier arms. The standard compliance measurement is taken at 10Hz; Asian cartridge makers use 100Hz and there is not a straightforward conversion. A suggestion is to multiple the Asian cartridge figure by anywher between 1.5 and 2.0 - or so I've read. Using that factor to yield a compliance closer to 10+ moves the resonance into an acceptable range for a Tri-Planar+Fuuga combo. But that's theory - reality may warrant a trial before purchase. It may work fine.

Sorry - I have both yet no direct answer at this time.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Not that I recall. I bought the Fuuga specifically to use on the 4Point, where, with its low compliance, it works great. That doesn't say it cannot work on the Tri-Planar. Maybe I can remember to try it next time I have the Triplanar installed. It is a really nice cartridge.

The Fuuga weighs 15g and has a compliance of 7cu measured at 100Hz. This suggests medium to heavier arms. The standard compliance measurement is taken at 10Hz; Asian cartridge makers use 100Hz and there is not a straightforward conversion. A suggestion is to multiple the Asian cartridge figure by anywher between 1.5 and 2.0 - or so I've read. Using that factor to yield a compliance closer to 10+ moves the resonance into an acceptable range for a Tri-Planar+Fuuga combo. But that's theory - reality may warrant a trial before purchase. It may work fine.

Hi Tim,

Have you posted what you like about the 4-Point vs TriPlanar on the GP Monaco? I used to have the shorter TriPlanar and not the more recent carbon fiber/longer TriPlanar...

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands

Thanks Tim for your splendid explanation. I fully understand and I agree that theory and reality may have other results. I have read lot of good things about the Fuuga, and it's on top of my wantlist. However I don't own a kuzma arm, so if it doesn't work I will have a problem. So that's why I haven't decided yet of buying a Fuuga or Lyra. We'll see.

Reactions: tima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing