First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you, Tim for your explanation. Yesterday I bought a Monaco V2.0 with a TriPlanar VII U2 tonearm. I'm not so familiar of good matches with this TriPlanatr tone-arm. So, I have to do some research on this. On this moment I have a Shelter 9000 and a VandeHul Crimson. First I will do some listening with those two.

Congratulations ! The Monaco is a killer good table. I've had mine for ~8 years (upgraded to 2.0 a while back) and just love it. It will stand the test of time. I used a TriPlanar for ~5 years before experimenting with other arms. The cartridges I loved with the TriPlanar are the Lyra's (I used a Atlas for the most part) then loved the Allaerts MC2 Finish. Currently I am using a Spiral Groove Centroid arm with a ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015
Congratulations ! The Monaco is a killer good table. I've had mine for ~8 years (upgraded to 2.0 a while back) and just love it. It will stand the test of time. I used a TriPlanar for ~5 years before experimenting with other arms. The cartridges I loved with the TriPlanar are the Lyra's (I used a Atlas for the most part) then loved the Allaerts MC2 Finish. Currently I am using a Spiral Groove Centroid arm with a ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement.
This table seems to be somewhat overlooked as a statement piece. (Maybe due to Fremer's review of the original version?)

It sounds like you find it competitive with the other high-end tables out there. Can you make some comparisons on your experiences?

I ask with piqued curiosity as I am on the verge of jumping into vinyl. Thanks.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
This table seems to be somewhat overlooked as a statement piece. (Maybe due to Fremer's review of the original version?)

It sounds like you find it competitive with the other high-end tables out there. Can you make some comparisons on your experiences?

The original version was killer good at it's time. Fremer isn't always right in my experience and sometimes has an agenda. Like the equipment given to him always seems to get the "best" review. And politics is everywhere, including high end audio reviews. I do think the 2.0 version is better than what Fremer reviewed. Fremer also was listening to the Lyra Titan I mostly, which I would say is a cool cartridge but great cartridge. I think he heard the truth for the first time. The current Lyra's, like the Etna might have given him a diff answer.

I don't find the Monaco competitive with other high end tables. I find it the best and then there is the rest. There are several reviews/comments as the table has found it's way into Asia and these folks are just gushing over it. (Tima posted a link recently I can't recall the web site, but these folks were listening to the best of the best then heard the Monaco).

The Monaco replaced an SME 20/2 in my system.

The recent reviews in Tone Audio and The Audio Beat seem to match what I am hearing.

You'll be thrilled with this table. Nothing available now will replace it.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
The original version was killer good at it's time. Fremer isn't always right in my experience and sometimes has an agenda. Like the equipment given to him always seems to get the "best" review. And politics is everywhere, including high end audio reviews. I do think the 2.0 version is better than what Fremer reviewed. Fremer also was listening to the Lyra Titan I mostly, which I would say is a cool cartridge but great cartridge. I think he heard the truth for the first time. The current Lyra's, like the Etna might have given him a diff answer.

I don't find the Monaco competitive with other high end tables. I find it the best and then there is the rest. There are several reviews/comments as the table has found it's way into Asia and these folks are just gushing over it. (Tima posted a link recently I can't recall the web site, but these folks were listening to the best of the best then heard the Monaco).

The Monaco replaced an SME 20/2 in my system.

The recent reviews in Tone Audio and The Audio Beat seem to match what I am hearing.

You'll be thrilled with this table. Nothing available now will replace it.

John,

Congratulations again on the addition of your new speakers. I imagine they will give you a new insight into what the Monaco can do, and visa versa. I remember well your comment when visiting me to hear my now quite old former system. There were some qualities you heard from the bigger SME 30/12 that you found quite appealing at that time.

I would if you could explain a bit more about those thoughts, thou they are much in the past now, as we have both found different turntables. I am also curious if you have heard the other two DD tables that I think of as contenders available now: the NVS and the Dobbins, the Beat. I heard the Beat once and really liked it. If so, how would you describe the sound of your Monaco compared to those two other DDs?

I have never heard the Monaco, but you and Tima seem to really like how it presents the music, and so I am quite curious. I do like the small form factor and find that it looks quite elegant and extremely modern.

BTW, love the look of your room. Could you post a new photograph of your turntable on its rack with the arm and cartridge? Thanks.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I don't find the Monaco competitive with other high end tables. I find it the best and then there is the rest.
Exactly that; the 2.0 has been on my radar for years.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
John,

Congratulations again on the addition of your new speakers. I imagine they will give you a new insight into what the Monaco can do, and visa versa. I remember well your comment when visiting me to hear my now quite old former system. There were some qualities you heard from the bigger SME 30/12 that you found quite appealing at that time.

I would if you could explain a bit more about those thoughts, thou they are much in the past now, as we have both found different turntables. I am also curious if you have heard the other two DD tables that I think of as contenders available now: the NVS and the Dobbins, the Beat. I heard the Beat once and really liked it. If so, how would you describe the sound of your Monaco compared to those two other DDs?

I have never heard the Monaco, but you and Tima seem to really like how it presents the music, and so I am quite curious. I do like the small form factor and find that it looks quite elegant and extremely modern.

BTW, love the look of your room. Could you post a new photograph of your turntable on its rack with the arm and cartridge? Thanks.
HI Peter,

First thank you. I've enjoyed reading about your new system as well. And you're right, the new speakers have given me new insights. And right from the bat I was able to dial in things better. Like added 2 1/4 turns on the arm damping, 1/4 turn on the VTA height, and changed the loading card from 670 to 440 ohms. The Lyra's are very revealing.

I do and will always love the SME tables. Especially your former SME 30/12. Big, bold, powerful, and coherent is how I remembered it. My 20/2 didn't have as much of those attributes. I haven't heard the NVS. And I haven't heard the Dobbins in my system. While it sounded good, it wasn't something that moved me to consider trying it. Your SME 30/12, I've always thought that if I wanted a 2nd table with a different character, it's likely the one, not a replacement however. Change of pace. Plus I just love the SME look and feel.

I will say the Monaco TT's do like the Grand Prix Audio racks or shelfs. I had mine originally on the Finite Pagode and it sounded great. But the Grand Prix Racks are in my opinion a desert island thing, if I could only take a few things, they'd be on the list.

To me the Monaco presents the music like it's recorded. It it's a big hall, its big. If it's small and intimate, it's small and intimate. I could go on here...but the emotional connection to the music it has in spades. Instruments just sound right. You really notice it on a Piano note for instance.

Just took this pic:

IMG_0726.jpeg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There are several reviews/comments as the table has found it's way into Asia and these folks are just gushing over it (Tima posted a link recently I can't recall the web site, but these folks were listening to the best of the best then heard the Monaco).

That would be Chris Leung's Audio Exotics in Hong Kong - a premier high-end salon.

In the UK, Definitive Audio is the distributor - another recherché dealership.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Yea Fremer's original review may have been prejudicial perhaps but I think another factory is at play. Lack of size and bling. Lot's of audiophiles like large massive turntables and lots like bling. the Monaco is neither of them, instead concentrates on audio quality.

I had the original Monaco at home with Tri-Planar tonearm for about 3 months when I was baby sitting for a friend. Sound wise it was very similar sounding to my Pioneer Exclusive P3 DD table, especially with its speed and continuous in the bass. proper speed control has a lot to do with that.
The only thing I did not like was the clamp system was part of the design and really something you had to use to get the best out of the design - for me it was a bit of a pita to use. that may say more about me than the table :p but certainly a wonderful world class table.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab and tima

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Yea Fremer's original review may have been prejudicial perhaps but I think another factory is at play. Lack of size and bling. Lot's of audiophiles like large massive turntables and lots like bling. the Monaco is neither of them, instead concentrates on audio quality.

I had the original Monaco at home with Tri-Planar tonearm for about 3 months when I was baby sitting for a friend. Sound wise it was very similar sounding to my Pioneer Exclusive P3 DD table, especially with its speed and continuous in the bass. proper speed control has a lot to do with that.
The only thing I did not like was the clamp system was part of the design and really something you had to use to get the best out of the design - for me it was a bit of a pita to use. that may say more about me than the table :p but certainly a wonderful world class table.

Hi Shane - hope this finds you well. Was that mine you babysat? I can't remember now....

Reactions: tima

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I like the Monaco. Almost bought one a few years back after a bit of chat with Jeff Dorgay who really likes it. I love it's compact size.

Reactions: tima and jfrech

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Shane - hope this finds you well. Was that mine you babysat? I can't remember now....

Hey Andrew

Yes!! You back in the game bro?
We need to catch up if u r still in Sydney

Cheers
Shane

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
:)

Yes, of course you're right. Imo there are several factors over-riding looks when it comes to selecting a turntable. Low noise and stable accurate speed being the two most important.
Thankfully I think there are lots of choices. I can only think of a few that look like crocadogapigs.

Reactions: Lagonda

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
After speakers, i believe peoples' turntable choices are influenced as much by looks as any other factor. Big plastic coated zebrawood plinths seem popular today.
I bought mine based on technology. I have two classic Japanese DDs; Yamaha GT-2000 and Exclusive P10. Both have technology that is still cutting edge today.

Reactions: tima and Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
Hey Andrew

Yes!! You back in the game bro?
We need to catch up if u r still in Sydney

Cheers
Shane

Nah mate - been out since 2016. These days I enjoy the hobby vicariously. Listen to alot of music though - something or other playing most of the day.

I imagine in the next year or two I'll put together a proper system, but in the meantime I'm happy as I am.

I am enjoying being back on WBF. I've been following a few members systems here over the years. It was Peter's complete change that got me interested enough to think about posting / being active again. His system is right up my alley, as you may imagine.

These days we live in Tassie - made the move to Hobart a few years back now. Very happy down here - much like our native NZ. Happy to be out of Sydney. I haven't been back since Covid.

Great saying g'day mate.

Cheers
A

Last edited:
Reactions: XV-1

Andrew S.

Mar 20, 2021
Hobart, Tasmania
I bought mine based on technology. I have two classic Japanese DDs; Yamaha GT-2000 and Exclusive P10. Both have technology that is still cutting edge today.

Wow. I had a GT 2000 as well. "Gigantic & Tremendous". Don't see many of those on audio forums. Next to the Monaco, it was the best deck I owned....well once I got its linear power supply from Japan. Fantastic speed stability, and a lovely nuanced sound. Huge though. It must have been over 35kg. In the end it was simply to big and heavy for me to move by myself.

By memory I seem to recall alot of the parts for the GT 2000/L/X (rotors, motor parts, tonearms (?) mostly came from Micro. Might be mistaken in that, but rings a bell.

I have always thought the higher end classic DDs were/are very under rated, and under priced. Becoming harder to find now, I imagine. I think Shane had a P10 as well as his current P3, at some stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I have a real soft spot for the Luxman PD-444.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing