First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi Tim,

Have you posted what you like about the 4-Point vs TriPlanar on the GP Monaco? I used to have the shorter TriPlanar and not the more recent carbon fiber/longer TriPlanar...

I've probably made remarks here and there about each arm but have not done a formal comparison or review. My Tri-Planar Mk VII has the carbon fiber arm and is the standard length, 10-inches. (iirc) When I ordered it from Tri Mai I asked for copper wiring instead of the standar silver. My 4Point was ordered with silver Kondo wire.

The 4Point design is in part derived from the original Wheaton Tri-Planar; each has a vertical tower for VTA adjustment. Imo the 4Point's VTA adjustment is a bit finer grained. The Tri-Planar has a flat base and does not require a mounting hole. Both support horizontal damping. Both use a v. similar azimuth adjustment mechanism. One thing I really like about the Tri-Planar is once you make an adjustment it does not wander.

With the Monaco I find myself using the 4Point on the Monaco much more frequently. Partly because it has a removable headshell with a v precise fit which makes swapping cartridges pretty easy. Of course the Monaco makes changing tonearms likewise easy. I acquired the 4Point after I upgraded from the Monaco 1.5 to 2.0 based on a recommendation from Roy Gregory, so I haven't used it on other tables. Both arms work very well with the Monaco.

Sound wise - here I'm working from memory - both are very good at extracting detail and both offer very good tonality. The 4Point has slightly better dynamics and offers firmer control in the bass; the Tri-Planar is a wee bit softer, some say it is more romantic. Monaco+4Point yields excellent bass. Each time I have upgraded components I find the Monaco+4Point reveals the combination has not reached a plateau.

At some point, when I can get out from under my current work, I plan to acquire an SME 3012 to try with the Monaco. I already have the arm mount, so if someone else is lookin at that combination or a different SME, Alvin should have the mount.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Can someone tell me where I can order/buy a Kuzma 4point 11 armboard for my Monaco turntable?
Any Grand Prix Audio dealer should be able to order these. If you don't have a dealer and live near the Austin, Tx area/SW US I can connect you with my dealer.

Reactions: Maurits and tima

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
Any Grand Prix Audio dealer should be able to order these. If you don't have a dealer and live near the Austin, Tx area/SW US I can connect you with my dealer.
Here, in the Netherlands where I live, there are no Grandprixaudio dealers. I contacted the German importer but he has no armboards in stock. So maybe your dealer is an option.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
You might try:

In the UK, Definitive Audio is the distributor ...

It will not surprise me to learn that dealers do not carry a stock of different armboards and will need to place an order with GPA. Any dealer or distributor should be able to place such an order.

Sometimes dealers will wait until they have multiple items to order from a manufacturer. They may get some sort of quanitity discount based on total order cost and it can save a bit on shipping. Depends on the dealer and distributor. I don't know GPA policy on this.

In your favor is the fact that GPA already makes the 4Point armboards. It is more expensive to ask for an armboard that they do not make. In such at case a pattern must be made and manufacture coordinated with the CNC shop and then anodizing and QC. It can be done for a singleton although Alvin prefers to schedule such work in batches to reduce expense. What we cross our fingers for is GPA having stock of 4Point boards, which should be the case although they do sell out.

I'm happy to learn you have version 2.0. As an upgrade it may not have the lighted 'Tru-Pressure' clamp because that requires a different magnesium platter and other internals.

Reactions: Maurits

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Here, in the Netherlands where I live, there are no Grandprixaudio dealers. I contacted the German importer but he has no armboards in stock. So maybe your dealer is an option.
The German importer will likely have to special order this for you from GPA. My dealer is stopping by today, I'll ask him...

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
I'm thinking instead of an armboard, to order a Kuzma tonearm tower no.1 or no.3 to put next to my Monaco. So I can still use my TriPlanar on the existing armboard and a Kuzma 4 point on the kuzma tower.Has someone expierence with that, or is that a not so good idea?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I'm thinking instead of an armboard, to order a Kuzma tonearm tower no.1 or no.3 to put next to my Monaco. So I can still use my TriPlanar on the existing armboard and a Kuzma 4 point on the kuzma tower.Has someone expierence with that, or is that a not so good idea?
I have not tried this. However I am not a fan, the Monaco is designed to drain the arm/cartridge energy into its plinth. Plus if the tower is ever slightly bumped can throw everything off. I to wish the Monaco had a design for a 2nd internal arm board...

If you try it, please report back. Good luck

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
I have not tried this. However I am not a fan, the Monaco is designed to drain the arm/cartridge energy into its plinth. Plus if the tower is ever slightly bumped can throw everything off. I to wish the Monaco had a design for a 2nd internal arm board...

If you try it, please report back. Good luck
indeed, a design for a second internal armboard would be wonderfull

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I have not done this nor heard from anyone who has. Yes, it is a way to have two arms available at the same time. As is, the table is very compact and lacks the internal space to accomodate another armboard.

Swapping armboards is fairly easy. Undo 6 bolts, remove the prior board, slide in the new board and replace the bolts. The fitment is very precise. If the new armboard had been used at least once before, then no adjustment is needed. If the arm was left on its armboard (which is what I do), no pivot-to-spindle adjustment is needed.

If you buy additional headshells and keep cartridges mounted to them then swapping is likewise easy. You'll need to change vertical tracking force and perhaps VTA. Alignment should stay true but I always check it.

Kuzma makes a cool storage container for extra headshells with cartridges mounted. I call it the Kuzma Roundhouse.

Cartridge Roundhouse closed.png

Cartridge Roundhouse open.png I have two of these. Nice quality.

Are you having difficulty acquiring a 4Point armboard?

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
I have not done this nor heard from anyone who has. Yes, it is a way to have two arms available at the same time. As is, the table is very compact and lacks the internal space to accomodate another armboard.

Swapping armboards is fairly easy. Undo 6 bolts, remove the prior board, slide in the new board and replace the bolts. The fitment is very precise. If the new armboard had been used at least once before, then no adjustment is needed. If the arm was left on its armboard (which is what I do), no pivot-to-spindle adjustment is needed.

If you buy additional headshells and keep cartridges mounted to them then swapping is likewise easy. You'll need to change vertical tracking force and perhaps VTA. Alignment should stay true but I always check it.

Kuzma makes a cool storage container for extra headshells with cartridges mounted. I call it the Kuzma Roundhouse.

View attachment 79610

View attachment 79611 I have two of these. Nice quality.

Are you having difficulty acquiring a 4Point armboard?
Really very nice, Tim, the kuzma roundhouse. I will go for the one arm Kuzma. Final question is Kuzma 11 inch or 14 inch. Any suggestions for this.
I may have a dealer who can help me for an 4point armboard. But first I have to decide which Kuzma 4point I will buy.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
As for 11" vs 14", that's a tough call. The effective mass of the 11" is 18g vs 19g for the 14" arm. That doesn't sound like much , but I do not know which or how many current (or future) cartridges are ruled in or out by the 1g difference. I doubt I'd try to run a vdH Master Sig on the 14". I do understand the claims of others that the 14" may yield better sonics, to a degree. It's a big arm but the Monaco puts up no obstacles for mounting.

The best case I've read for the 14" 4Point is from Roy Gregory's review on hifi+. He and I agree about the Monaco and we both like things from Kuzma. I thought his very fine review might be a wee bit over the top, but others can judge for themselves.

He does make a good point about some setup/alignment tools maybe having difficulty with the length for pivot-to-spindle distance, etc. I did not care for the P2S 'tool' that comes with the 4Points; I did not find it accurate, and I don't like paper protractors. Tool compatibility - how much of a factor should that be?

All that being said, if forced to choose I'd go with the 11".

Do let us know where you end up.

Reactions: Maurits and jfrech

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
Okay Tim, I think I will go for the 11 inch arm. The storage container for the headshells, does this has a name, because I can't see it on the pricelist of Kuzma. And is this a package of 4 headshells and container or is it sold seperatly?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Okay Tim, I think I will go for the 11 inch arm. The storage container for the headshells, does this has a name, because I can't see it on the pricelist of Kuzma. And is this a package of 4 headshells and container or is it sold seperatly?

Headshells and container each sold separately.

Whichever 4Point arm you choose I'm confident you will enjoy it on the Monaco. :)

Edit: Assuming they are different, I'll speculate an arm board for the 11" is more likely available than one for the 14".

Last edited:

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands

Headshells and container each sold separately.

Whichever 4Point arm you choose I'm confident you will enjoy it on the Monaco. :)

Edit: Assuming they are different, I'll speculate an arm board for the 11" is more likely available than one for the 14".
Hi Tim

It’s been a while, but I finally I have received my armboard for the Kuzma 4point. The Grandprix Audo distributor in Germany made a great effort so I now have my armboard.

I did chosen for a 11inch arm. Last week I finally had the Kuzma arm and have installed it.

I’m glad I made this change. The arm is real craftsmanship.

First things notice it is very very quite and reveals lots of details. Coming weeks I will do some more fine-tuning. Thanks again for the advise. I also read that John (Jfrech) switched to the Kuzma 4point. Very interesting to read his findings coming weeks.

Reactions: tima

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
First things notice it is very very quite and reveals lots of details. Coming weeks I will do some more fine-tuning. Thanks again for the advise. I also read that John (Jfrech) switched to the Kuzma 4point. Very interesting to read his findings coming weeks.

Hi, congrats. I have the 11 inch also. So far very impressed with the sound. I guess we'll be trading tips soon. Good luck with your dial in process !

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi Tim

It’s been a while, but I finally I have received my armboard for the Kuzma 4point. The Grandprix Audo distributor in Germany made a great effort so I now have my armboard.

I did chosen for a 11inch arm. Last week I finally had the Kuzma arm and have installed it.

I’m glad I made this change. The arm is real craftsmanship.

Congratulations Maurits! Yes Franc Kuzma does precision engineering and the Monaco is an excellent platform for the 4Point. Did your German dealer have to wait long for the armboard?

Please keep us up-to-date on your discoveries.

Maurits

Oct 24, 2016
Netherlands
No Tim, only a few weeks. But the German dealer and I had some vacation issues that caused some delay. Will keep you updated on my discoveries.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing