First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My point to Ked.
It seems like the plinth weight/mass is far greater than the original, as well as likely the platter.

Is it greater than that of the SP10 platter? The reason I ask is because you made some assumptions about the SP10 based on platter weight. If you don't know the respective platter weights between the Monaco and SP10, there is no basis for reaching such a conclusion. I have no idea, I'm just asking for the data so that you can support your thesis.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Peter, original SP10 platter 6lb/2.6kg.
Can’t find any confirmation of Monaco platter weight, sorry. My assumption may be wrong.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
But John, that can only mean high torque surely to combat stylus drag, but nowhere do I see GPA talk about high torque.
Indeed it takes several revolutions for yr 1.5 to get up to speed.
I do find it telling that the 2.0 is described as “higher torque” and gets up to speed in less than 3 revolutions, and maybe adjusts speed once or twice rather than a handful more times.

Monaco v2.0 is higher torque than v1.5 (no longer available) and I'll speculate higher torque than the Parabolica. I have no torque numbers to compare with wherever is the official line between high torque and low. From standstill to solid lock-light my v2.0 takes about 6 seconds which matches what you said. Speed adjusts maybe 1 time or less over the course of an entire album side.

I think PeterA and jfrech are correct in describing the new Monaco as about technology and materials science. I might add that the new Monaco is not based on yesterday's concepts and technology. (Which is not to say turntable designers of 20,30,40 years ago did not do an amazing job with what they had to work with at the time.)

Of course laws of physics apply and measurements of torque, intertia, platter weight, etc are available. I just don't know how useful they are in accounting for how the Monaco does what it does. Or how useful is the application of belt-drive or idler issues (where those measurements may be significant) to direct drive assessment.

Some time back I talked with Alvin Lloyd about stylus drag. He saw no significance to it - it is not an observable factor. The amount of data the 'table generates in a second (166,289 platter speed readings) gives a pretty intimate picture of influences or event impact on its operaton.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hello
I'm looking at GPA Monaco 2.0 turntable ... this model is considered it seems as the best sound & performance turntable by some people here ; and also by very good reviewers (Roy Gregory - The Audio Beat / HiFi+ ; Jeff Dorgay -Tone Audio, ... ).
Do you have an opinion about how is this turntable in comparaison with these 4 competitors models ? :
1) Kronos
2) Techdas
3) Brinkmann (balance)
4) AMG (viella)
Best regards
David

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi David, I own a GPA Monaco 2.0 (upgraded from a 1.0). It replaced a SME 20/2. I think you need to decide between belt vs direct drive. For me, once I heard the way sound is portrayed via a great direct drive was no going back to belts for me. I wish I could be more helpful but I have not compared to the others on your list...Good luck, those are all great tables.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Hi JFRECH,
thanks for your answer. Indeed i will need to decide between Belt / Direct Drive … From what i have seen into reviews, i have the feeling that a Direct Drive model could be the right choice for me. That's why i am looking at the GPA unit.
You have a VERY nice system ; good to know that you are happy with the GPA Monaco.
It seems that combination is good with Lyra cartridges and Kuzma / Triplanar tonearms ... what have been your choice in combination with Monaco turntable ?
A last thing : could you give me your feedback about the bass frequencies with GPA Monaco ? From what i have understood, the sound with this turntable is very natural, with a great resolution too ; but what about the low end of the Spectrum ? is it tight and deep ?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thank you. My system has been a work of patience, money and hiding a few items from my better half. If she's watching me right now I'll be sleeping on the sofa well into the new year !

I've used 3 arms. TriPlanar, Schroeder LT and Spiral Groove Centroid. The Spiral Groove is my fave of the 3. Reasonably pricing also. I've owned 5 Lyra's in my life and loved them all. Last being a Atlas. I'm thinking about a Atlas SL right now.

As far as the bass, this is where a direct drive really shines in texture, depth, control. That foundation isn't something once heard can be done with out. My guess is because of the speed accuracy of the Monaco 2.0, really hard stuff like bass isn't a big deal. Just ease, power but with all the delicacy of something live. What I hear as I improve my system is less noise, more resolution, more emotional connection, and just sounds more like a instrument you'd hear live.

The Monaco 2.0 does this and not just in the bass.

I will say it's at it's best on a Grand Prix Audio Rack. Other racks still will sound just sublime...but once you hear a Grand Prix Audio rack...especially the SilverStone series, you'll be skipping that next electronics upgrade. The rack is that good...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It seems that combination is good with Lyra cartridges and Kuzma / Triplanar tonearms ... what have been your choice in combination with Monaco turntable ?

I used both arms in my review of the Monaco 2.0. Both arms work well with the table and exhibit the traits associated to them.

David

Aug 11, 2012
Thanks very much JFRECH for these usefull informations !
Thanks TIMA for your answer too !
The Monaco 2.0 is on the top of my list … i will try to find a possibility for a demo.

Reactions: tima

stsxerses

Apr 5, 2018
The Monaco 2.0 is on the top of my list … i will try to find a possibility for a demo.
Hi I have the Monaco 2.0 with Kuzma 4 Point 14” and Opus 1....before that I had a Brinkmann Le Grange with upgraded sinus motor and Ront tube supply....I can only echo what jfrech says about the Monaco... Stirling Trayle did the final set up for me and all I will say is we both spent hours listening to records with big grins on our face!

stsxerses

Apr 5, 2018
Oh one other thing to mention is that the performance of the Monaco 2.0 is significantly elevated in terms of flow and body when the supplied switching power supply is exchanged for a battery supply (Optima Red Top Battery RTS 4.2) - I have to thank Kevin at Definitive Audio for the suggestion

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You're putting a commercial car battery on a $40k audiophile tt? No probs w batt psu, I used one on my Straingauge cart energiser. But an off the shelf automobile one?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Oh one other thing to mention is that the performance of the Monaco 2.0 is significantly elevated in terms of flow and body when the supplied switching power supply is exchanged for a battery supply (Optima Red Top Battery RTS 4.2) - I have to thank Kevin at Definitive Audio for the suggestion
Hmm, I am going to have to try this !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Where do yo live? If close by happy to host you at my place...

stsxerses

Apr 5, 2018
You're putting a commercial car battery on a $40k audiophile tt? No probs w batt psu, I used one on my Straingauge cart energiser. But an off the shelf automobile one?
Yes a bit perverse but it works...I believe Kevin has experimented with various different types of battery for the Monaco...maybe Alvin will come up with an even better solution...all I would say to any Monaco TT owner is to try and hear for yourself

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I asked him if he saw any downside with the switching power supply, particularly wrt noise. He did not think so but said it would be easy to offer a battery based supply.
I do notice that unplugging the Monaco 2.0 power supply makes my digital sound slight better. Guessing noise in the power lines...of course I can't unplug for analog vinyl spinning to compare. I'll try to try a batter option soon...

Reactions: tima

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I do notice that unplugging the Monaco 2.0 power supply makes my digital sound slight better. Guessing noise in the power lines...of course I can't unplug for analog vinyl spinning to compare. I'll try to try a batter option soon...
Update, I ordered a cable from my Nagra PSU to the Monaco power supply. I should have it in a week or so and will report back any sonic changes by taking out the Grand Prix power supply...

Reactions: ashandger and tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Speaking of First Sounds, I see a contemporary discussion of the Monaco 2.0 'table at the Audio Exotics forum with several pictures. I don't read Chinese or know how to make a post, but it looks like a first encounter with first reactions for many of the forum members. About half of the reponses are in English and I used goog le translate for the others. Interesting comments.

Reactions: Vienna

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing