Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    My point to Ked.
    It seems like the plinth weight/mass is far greater than the original, as well as likely the platter.
    Is it greater than that of the SP10 platter? The reason I ask is because you made some assumptions about the SP10 based on platter weight. If you don't know the respective platter weights between the Monaco and SP10, there is no basis for reaching such a conclusion. I have no idea, I'm just asking for the data so that you can support your thesis.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Peter, original SP10 platter 6lb/2.6kg.
    Can’t find any confirmation of Monaco platter weight, sorry. My assumption may be wrong.

[Industry Expert] Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    But John, that can only mean high torque surely to combat stylus drag, but nowhere do I see GPA talk about high torque.
    Indeed it takes several revolutions for yr 1.5 to get up to speed.
    I do find it telling that the 2.0 is described as “higher torque” and gets up to speed in less than 3 revolutions, and maybe adjusts speed once or twice rather than a handful more times.
    Monaco v2.0 is higher torque than v1.5 (no longer available) and I'll speculate higher torque than the Parabolica. I have no torque numbers to compare with wherever is the official line between high torque and low. From standstill to solid lock-light my v2.0 takes about 6 seconds which matches what you said. Speed adjusts maybe 1 time or less over the course of an entire album side.

I think PeterA and jfrech are correct in describing the new Monaco as about technology and materials science. I might add that the new Monaco is not based on yesterday's concepts and technology. (Which is not to say turntable designers of 20,30,40 years ago did not do an amazing job with what they had to work with at the time.)

Of course laws of physics apply and measurements of torque, intertia, platter weight, etc are available. I just don't know how useful they are in accounting for how the Monaco does what it does. Or how useful is the application of belt-drive or idler issues (where those measurements may be significant) to direct drive assessment.

Some time back I talked with Alvin Lloyd about stylus drag. He saw no significance to it - it is not an observable factor. The amount of data the 'table generates in a second (166,289 platter speed readings) gives a pretty intimate picture of influences or event impact on its operaton.
    See my Mahler thread here.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011