First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Here is more information and some comparison of the GPA Monaco 1.5 with the 2.0, along with brief sonic impressions.
At The Audio Beat: First Sounds: Grand Prix Audio Monaco 2.0.

i own a monaco 1.5 with triplanar

my friend and i think its special

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
i own a monaco 1.5 with triplanar

my friend and i think its special

I have a 1.0... and it is special too :). My dealer is upgrading his to a 2.0, so in a few weeks I'll get to hear the 2.0 in my system vs my 1.0

theophile

The latest Tone Audio PDF is out and the reviewer rates the Monaco 2.0 as the best ever turntable.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes read that
Interesting that was with the triplanar, which I have

Can you upgrade the Monaco to 2.0?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes read that
Interesting that was with the triplanar, which I have

Can you upgrade the Monaco to 2.0?

Yes. Details on Grand Prix audio website

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks

Contacted them

Upgrade 20k but u cannot have the clamp system as part of upgrade

New is 37k

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I don't like clamps. Weight? sure, but not clamps. Not a bother for some of us.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks

Contacted them

Upgrade 20k but u cannot have the clamp system as part of upgrade

New is 37k

Sir,

May I ask. Is the armbase part of the carbonfiber plinth?

Kind regards,
Tang

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
When u order it you tell them what armboard you want

This is delivered with it

The armboards are very substantial

You can order other arm boards, the 4 point is readily available for example

Obviously alternate armboard are not cheap

They are relatively easy to replace

I find the triplanar is an excellent match

If I didn't already own 2 triplanar arms, I would order a 4 point ne plus ultra pivoted arm

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The tonearm board is not part of the carbon fiber plinth. It is made of solid aluminum and switching an armboard in or out requires removal/install of 6 bolts and is a very precise fit. If you have an arm mounted on an armboard with aligned cartridge, you can swap it in and not require realignment. GPA should be able to make an armboard for just about any arm. I use the 4Point and TriPlanar.

The clamp is part of the 'tables design, ie, the 'table is meant to be used with a clamp and all versions of the Monaco come with a clamp. The new clamp with version 2 detects when its pressure is correct and a small LED in the spindle lights up. Upgraded units will still use the clamp but it does not include the pressure detection. I'm guessing, that this is because the pressure detection requires a whole new platter that includes cut-outs for the pressure detecting sensor and a cut-out for the port that allows access to adjustment of the pressure detection - if you want to change it from the factory default. The new clamp also has needle roller bears and is very smooth to use. This revised clamp can be used with original tables that do not have the pressure monitor, but I don't know if it is included in the upgrade.

One detail I failed to mention in my coverage is that v2 no longer uses speed adjustment; the +/-buttons are still on the controller butthey don't function, although the blue lock light still appears in the middle when spin-up is complete. Apparently the new controller is so fine grained that adjustment no longer made sense.

Setup for the v2 is virtually identical to setup for the 1.5. The sticky metalicized oil port covers are replaced with nice threaded chromed bolts with a rubber o-ring for a snug seal.

I still have both the 1.5 and 2.0 (at least for a little while) so I can try answering questions beyond the TAB write-up.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Glad to hear they got rid of the sticky covers for the oil wells

The only black spot on a superb design

As mentioned the arm boards are substantial and removable

I can understand about the speed variation aspect I never use it

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I still have both the 1.5 and 2.0 (at least for a little while) so I can try answering questions beyond the TAB write-up.

Now that you've had the 2.0 a bit longer...any longer term impression changes? For better or worse? Again, I have a Monaco 1.0. My dealer has his 1.5 getting upgraded right now so I'll be able to hear his 2.0 in my system in a few weeks.

PS, I have my Monaco 1.0 power supply plugged into a Shunyata DPC-6 v2 then that into a separate ac outlet. I found getting that digital computerized motor controller isolated from the phono pre and preamp was beneficial...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Now that you've had the 2.0 a bit longer...any longer term impression changes? For better or worse? Again, I have a Monaco 1.0. My dealer has his 1.5 getting upgraded right now so I'll be able to hear his 2.0 in my system in a few weeks.

PS, I have my Monaco 1.0 power supply plugged into a Shunyata DPC-6 v2 then that into a separate ac outlet. I found getting that digital computerized motor controller isolated from the phono pre and preamp was beneficial...

With every record played I continue to be very impressed with the Monaco 2.0. Its capacity to present complex mid to lower frequency information with clarity and a high level of dynamic authority are sonics I've not previously experienced in my system. And that's after living with the Monaco 1.5 for over a year. I'm delighted that the amplification components in my system (ARC, Lamm) are easily up to the task of working with the better quality signal coming from my analog front-end. I could easily lapse into all sorts of praise based on my listening notes and experience but don't want to get into what might sound like hyperbole to others. I will say that in my 13 years of reviewing it has been a long time since I've been this enthusiastic about an audio component. The high level of speed accuracy and stability really makes a huge difference to my ears.

Wrt to the transformer/pwr supply, I agree with you on isolating it. I had it plugged into a Shunyata Triton + Typhon set. Then I switched to a plug that lies outside the dedicated circuits used by my audio system. My rationale was why put the power supply noise into my system even through the Shunyata gear can clean up a lot of it. I talked with Alvin Lloyd about this topic. He does not think the impact of a modern switching power supply is that great, but he's open to exploring the topic. At some point he may prototype a battery based power supply.

Reactions: Andrew S.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Something to consider if you're interested in the Monaco or Parabolica 'tables:

Sitting on its feet, the 'table is quite low slung. If you are inclined to change armboards (switch tonearms) consider it near impossible with the table on its feet - there's simply not enough room to get access to the arm mounting bolts. I found the same goes for changing cartridges - that's easier and not so much an access issue but you'll end up with your head lying sideways on your rack to do an alignment.

I do swap carts and arms. GPA makes a jig or stand for the Monaco that I found well worth having. It's easy to pick up the 'table off its feet and place it on the jig, and that makes working on it a breeze - kinda like having your car on a rack or jack stands. The jig below is solid aluminum and heavy - there may be a newer model that does the trick but has less metal.

tccvt56lmfpv48knijullqmyw49n3utt.jpg

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I like the idea of jig
Any idea of price

Agree working on it is difficult once set up

Speed accuracy for someone with perfect pitch is sublime..I cannot bear most belt drives as a result AF is exception!

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Something to consider if you're interested in the Monaco or Parabolica 'tables:

Sitting on its feet, the 'table is quite low slung. If you are inclined to change armboards (switch tonearms) consider it near impossible with the table on its feet - there's simply not enough room to get access to the arm mounting bolts. I found the same goes for changing cartridges - that's easier and not so much an access issue but you'll end up with your head lying sideways on your rack to do an alignment.

I do swap carts and arms. GPA makes a jig or stand for the Monaco that I found well worth having. It's easy to pick up the 'table off its feet and place it on the jig, and that makes working on it a breeze - kinda like having your car on a rack or jack stands. The jig below is solid aluminum and heavy - there may be a newer model that does the trick but has less metal.

View attachment 34732

Linn has had a jig similar for all their dealers for over 40 years. Nothing new, but a good idea.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I like the idea of jig
Any idea of price

Agree working on it is difficult once set up

Speed accuracy for someone with perfect pitch is sublime..I cannot bear most belt drives as a result AF is exception!

Yes, perfect pitch is a blessing. Yet accuracy goes so much further beyond impacting the effects of pitch deviation. This is what I found remarkable about the v2.0. I could not detect any pitch deviation with the v1.5, so what would additional accuracy bring?

I found myself asking what could account for the order of magnitude(s) sonic improvement I heard going from 1.5 to 2.0.. Of course a lower noise floor helps but there was no way that alone explained the improvements in dynamics, frequency range, dimensionality, tonality, etc. The only thing left is the considerable improvement in speed stability and speed accuracy. As it turns out, after I published, GPA engineers (talented group) had the same debate internally and arrived at the same conclusion. They had started out knowing they could make the 'table more accurate, but had no idea about what that would bring - better, sure, but so much better was a genuine surprise that took a while to assess. Seems like there is a level of sonics beyond what till now we've accepted as 'accurate enough'.

What I kinda goggle at is the fact this is just a turntable - it just rotates the record. It's about the factors that come into play at the birth, the creation of the source signal. Everything downstream plays on that signal for better or worse - straight line with gain, etc. etc. Turns out paying attention to the quality of the signal at its creation may make a difference far larger than we've thought. I know there are people who don't buy this thinking, and that's okay. I'm confident the v2 has a character of its own relative to contrasts with other 'tables - it is very revealing and some may prefer/like the character of a less accurate 'table - but the differences it offers are such that the 'table is worth a listen to find out.

Edit - you asked about price. I don't know the price of the new design jig. I'll try to find out.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'm fascinated by the idea of greater and greater speed accuracy and stability. Does anyone know how speed accurate and stable the original cutting lathes were? It seems this new GPA table may be more accurate. I now wonder if the LP was cut at a less accurate rate and if this is now or may one day be audible. It this a real or imagined concern?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing