Does anybody use a mac mini II for a server?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Last edited:

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I use a Mac Mini and it can be modded quite cheaply to be a great music server. Shopping list is as follows:

1. Mac Mini with at least i5 processor post 2015 are best (or new)
2. Int SSD
3. 8 gig RAM
4. Uptone Audio Mod for 12V supply
5. HDPlex LPS 150W
6. Ethernet bridge to SPDIF (I use the Rednet 3)

This will get you are great sound to compete with the better pre-built servers and allow your own updates for the system.
I control it by screen sharing to my iMac, or you can use an iPad.

Software I use is Audirvana+ or HQP.

Good luck.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I use a Mac Mini and it can be modded quite cheaply to be a great music server. Shopping list is as follows:

1. Mac Mini with at least i5 processor post 2015 are best (or new)
2. Int SSD
3. 8 gig RAM
4. Uptone Audio Mod for 12V supply
5. HDPlex LPS 150W
6. Ethernet bridge to SPDIF (I use the Rednet 3)

This will get you are great sound to compete with the better pre-built servers and allow your own updates for the system.
I control it by screen sharing to my iMac, or you can use an iPad.

Software I use is Audirvana+ or HQP.

Good luck.

Hi Audirvana,

Thanks for sharing that info!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I will be adding a server soon and since I use a Monarchy NM24 modded I came across these articles on the Monarchy page. Does anybody use a similar setup not including the Monarchy DAC. If so what was your experience? Any comments on improving this or say I have a budget of 2K? any better options? Thanks

http://www.monarchy-audio.com/Monarchy_Music_Server.htm

http://co-bw.com/Audio_OSX_Optimal_Audio.htm

If you don't have a Monarchy DIP and a Monarchy Power regenerator you should get both. I have an M24 (original with BBPCM63s) and use both and it makes a huge improvement in background and soundstage.

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
I've used a Mac Mini server for several years with great results....configured similar to what astrostar posted.

There are a few caveats though. One depends on what the source for your music is.

My music is sourced exclusively from CD rips, which I used the mini and XLD to accomplish. The problem is running the mini headless from an ipad...the interface is tedious and buggy. Until very recently I used a Glyph drive connected via firewire to store my music. This worked good but the drive had fans which were a bit noisy.

To improve all this I ran network cable to my audio rack, and now have eliminated the problem areas with the mini in two ways.....for one my music is not stored on a NAS drive in my office where my iMac is...so that got rid of the noisy Glyph drive....and I now can do my CD ripping and music management at my iMac and avoid the cumbersome process of ripping via the mini and screen sharing app.

Audirvana is a great piece of software and has a VERY nice app to control via iOS.

One other option I would look at if your budget is in the 2K range is the new NAIM UnitiCore. It is an all-in-one solution including a CD ripper. I set one up for a friend and it was a breeze to set up and works great. Naim also has a great control app. The UnitiCore is very flexible, and gives the ability store music on a NAS and serve to the NAIM via ethernet, or you can also pop a hard drive into the NAIM and store directly on the drive. There is also great USB connectivity for thumb drives as well as backup.

I would give the NAIM serious consideration over the Mac Mini.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I would give the NAIM serious consideration over the Mac Mini.

Agree in part. The BIG boost to the Mac Mini taking it into the 'big league' was two things:

1. Uptone Audio MMK board kit to allow feeding 12V DC via an LPS.
Big change here, much smoother and 3D sound, incredible really how much noise in a typical computer power source.

2. Ditching USB and feeding your DAC via Ethernet.
Again massive change, The sound lost any vestige of digital now, so smooth and liquid. I used the Rednet 3 to accomplish this.

I would say, any server solution, pre-built or otherwise that is stuck on USB output and / or has a poor power supply will not sound at it's best IMO. The little Mac Mini is beating my previous 3K CEC CDP with ease and other more pricy units I have demo'd since I sold the CEC.

I control it via screen share on my iMac, works great.

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Agree in part. The BIG boost to the Mac Mini taking it into the 'big league' was two things:

2. Ditching USB and feeding your DAC via Ethernet.
Again massive change, The sound lost any vestige of digital now, so smooth and liquid. I used the Rednet 3 to accomplish this.

Could you elaborate on this?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Rednet 3

Could you elaborate on this?

I use the Rednet 3 DAW Ethernet network device. It is really designed for pro studio networking, but allows you to feed it via your 1000 Base~T Ethernet out of the Mac Mini to the Rednet, then using Dante software in both the Mac and Rednet it sends it out as reclocked S/PDIF or AES output. One word, awesome. The reduction in noise and any digital 'glare' is gone. I put it down to dropping out USB which always in my previous DACs and convertors was never quite right to me, too raw and edgy. The Rednet 3 is 900 USD from Sweetwater. A bargain IMO. Yes big red box, but only needs the 2 connections to it, input then output.

You can then max out the Rednet 3 further by replacing the internal PS with a nice LPS. I got one for 135 USD on Ebay and fitted it myself, really easy. The difference then , wow, so liquid, super smooth, amazing detail and depth, totally unruffled delivery no matter how complex the music.

The only downside I see of this is the limit to S/PDIF or AES of 192K data stream, but I don't upsample or use DSD, as my DAC is an NOS unit.

PM me if you want for info. I dig these cost effective solutions. It really isn't required IM findings to spend 15K on a pre-built server. It is possible to get an amazing digital drive for 4K IMO or less.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/images/smilies/eek.png

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I had an old mac mini I used successfully, ssd, but it struggled with DSD upsampling. Reconfigured it with linux and it ran faster and sounded better.
On the strength of that built a fanless, i5, linux mini computer which sounds great, doesn't produce any noise over usb.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I had an old mac mini I used successfully, ssd, but it struggled with DSD upsampling. Reconfigured it with linux and it ran faster and sounded better.
On the strength of that built a fanless, i5, linux mini computer which sounds great, doesn't produce any noise over usb.

It is not the operating system that produces PS noise down USB, it is the computer hardware and the way USB works out of a PC.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
I am not saying it is the os that is making the machine quiet, just that the linux sounded better than OSx on the mac mini. I built the the mini pc box to be quiet and kept the linux os as it runs efficiently and sounds good.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I am not saying it is the os that is making the machine quiet, just that the linux sounded better than OSx on the mac mini. I built the the mini pc box to be quiet and kept the linux os as it runs efficiently and sounds good.

Interesting. What software player do you use on Linux?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing