Lighting and flooring

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Resurrecting an old thread...

My 8 overhead lights in my room are on their own circuit, separate from the audio equipment. The lights are controlled by 2 Lutron dimmers.

Should I have any concerns going to LED lights to replace the standard incandescent? For the majority of the time the lights are either fully on or off but sometimes I dim the back ones.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Some observations from experience with changing over from incandescent to LED:
- as a general rule, LEDs do not dim as evenly nor as 'extremely'/finely as incandescent
- you want to make sure whatever brand LED you buy is definitely going to work circuit/resistor-wise or whatever with Lutron.

When we first started trialing LEDs for the Lutron at home, we were surprised to find out that in addition to the dimming capability thing, we also found not all LEDs worked as well with Lutron.

Soraa LEDs can be quite good...others may know about other brands, but of the 10 or so we have brought in to trial, the Soraa has stayed.

Reactions: dminches

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
And a bit of advice if you don’t already know, look for LEDs with a very high color rendering index (CRI). Since LEDs in general produce very little red light, when you dim them this is more noticeable and the light can become ghostly gray. Also, be sure you get the right color temp, incandescent and halogen are typically quite ‘warm’ with temps of 2700 degree kelvin. Lower (2200) is warmer (think candlelight) and higher (5000) is cooler (daylight).

Personally I hate that LEDs are almost all made in China, and in general there does not seem to be much focus making really high quality bulbs, in varying sizes, with varying beam spreads, and high CRI. And I hate even more I know this shit about LED light bulbs.

Reactions: dminches

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
100% agree Bobvin. Soraa is a bulb company founded by a Japanese Nobel prize winner...95% CRI and when you dim, they dim WARMER.

A heritage of invention and innovation.​

Our founder Shuji Nakamura, Nobel Prize winner and the father of modern day LED lighting, wanted to create a light source that would match the characteristics of our most natural illumination: the sun. It is why the company is called SORAA, which means “sky” in kanji.

Reactions: Bobvin and dminches

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing