A1 or M1 for Rockport Avior

nickif

May 17, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm a CH D1+C1 user and looking for amps to drive my rockport Avior. The room is relatively small about 280 sqf, do you think L1+A1stereo is enough or L1+M1 is significantly better? In what way?

Thanks,
Michael

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have both,A1 mono and M1 mono
The A1 has a lot of power so in your case is enough.
I listen them in a shop with Rockport Cygnus and the sound is very good being the Rockport little dark and the CH neutral and very fast. and open and I think together are perfect.
My friend tried at home my A1 with his Wilson Alexandria and with some records we see the A1 display arrive at 500 watt
So A1 is enough but if you can buy M1 is better
M1 sound bigger than A1,all the instrument are bigger and the sound is more relaxed
Also L1 is fantastic for me
In future next step X1
Regards

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi guys,

I'm a CH D1+C1 user and looking for amps to drive my rockport Avior. The room is relatively small about 280 sqf, do you think L1+A1stereo is enough or L1+M1 is significantly better? In what way?

Thanks,
Michael

Kerem ( Absolare) have used his Integrated amplifier on shows, f ex in Munich with Rockport. You cannot go wrong with that amp, it is fantastic. I have the C1, D1 and X1 with this amp in the Signature edition.

Good Luck.

JP

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Kerem ( Absolare) have used his Integrated amplifier on shows, f ex in Munich with Rockport. You cannot go wrong with that amp, it is fantastic. I have the C1, D1 and X1 with this amp in the Signature edition.

Good Luck.

JP

This said, the A1 is superb too. I have heard it on several occations.

JP

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Also you can buy A1 stereo and in future another A1 to use in mono

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi guys,

Thanks,
Michael

Michael, My experiences with CH A1 and M1 suggest that you will be fine with a stereo A1 in your 280 sqf room with Rockport Avoir. My room is 350 sqf. I started with a D1/C1/A1 combination driving Wilson Alexia. No problems at all. The A1 provided plenty of power. When I switched to Zellaton Stage speakers, I traded up to the M1. As Gian60 points out, there are some differences in dynamics and scale with the M1. Both are wonderful amplifiers. My experiences suggest that you would be better served by buying an A1 and using the difference in costs between the A1 and M1 to add an L1 or X1 to your system. The C1 has an excellent pre-amp circuit in it but the L1 opens up the presentation considerably. Adding X1s to your system will lower noise floor, add dynamics and punch. Good luck.

nickif

May 17, 2013
Thanks a lot for your reply Gian, much appreciated! I know M1 is better but also twice the cost, therefore the headache.

nickif

May 17, 2013
Michael, My experiences with CH A1 and M1 suggest that you will be fine with a stereo A1 in your 280 sqf room with Rockport Avoir. My room is 350 sqf. I started with a D1/C1/A1 combination driving Wilson Alexia. No problems at all. The A1 provided plenty of power. When I switched to Zellaton Stage speakers, I traded up to the M1. As Gian60 points out, there are some differences in dynamics and scale with the M1. Both are wonderful amplifiers. My experiences suggest that you would be better served by buying an A1 and using the difference in costs between the A1 and M1 to add an L1 or X1 to your system. The C1 has an excellent pre-amp circuit in it but the L1 opens up the presentation considerably. Adding X1s to your system will lower noise floor, add dynamics and punch. Good luck.

Thanks very much Rsorren, your opinion is extremely valuable! I would imagine adding X1s some piont in the future as that's the fun of being CH user, there're plenty of upgrade options.

nickif

May 17, 2013

Good Luck.

JP

Hi JP, your setup looks awesome! I've heard lot good things about Absolare but it's difficult to get an audition here in HK.

nickif

May 17, 2013
Also you can buy A1 stereo and in future another A1 to use in mono

I've thought about that option too, how do you compare A1 mono vs M1 stereo? As they cost almost the same.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I never tried A1 mono vs M1 stereo

I compare A1 stereo vs A1 mono and mono is better in weight,dynamic and fast,and the incredible thing is that you can biamp in passive way.
For example if your speaker can biamp or biwiring you can use A1 mono to use one channel for low and other channel for mid/high and you can select the gain of the amp for every channel,so if the sound is little dark you can increase the gain of mid/high

So i think A1 mono is better of M1 stereo

nickif

May 17, 2013
I never tried A1 mono vs M1 stereo

I compare A1 stereo vs A1 mono and mono is better in weight,dynamic and fast,and the incredible thing is that you can biamp in passive way.
For example if your speaker can biamp or biwiring you can use A1 mono to use one channel for low and other channel for mid/high and you can select the gain of the amp for every channel,so if the sound is little dark you can increase the gain of mid/high

So i think A1 mono is better of M1 stereo

Thanks for sharing, but unfortunately my speaker doesn't allow bi-amp

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
Hi JP, your setup looks awesome! I've heard lot good things about Absolare but it's difficult to get an audition here in HK.

Thanks. Send Kerem/Absolare an email and ask for a dealer in HK. Or a good customer of Kerem. But this is a CH thread and their products are very, very good. My experience with Rockport are with Absolare, go ahead with CH if that is your choice. You cannot go wrong either way. Good luck.

JP

nickif

May 17, 2013
I went to the showroom to audition CH A1 stereo powering Wilson benesh speakers 2 days ago, front end is CH D1+C1+L1, the sound is smooth, crystal clear on the top end but a bit lean and cold in tone color. Not to my liking very much I'd say. Hence I decided to try something else as well, tried soulution, nagra, so far I'm sold to Nagra. The classic amps in bridge mode as mono powering the same speakers, the sound was warm, transparent and somehow much more engaging than the A1, very seductive.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I went to the showroom to audition CH A1 stereo powering Wilson benesh speakers 2 days ago, front end is CH D1+C1+L1, the sound is smooth, crystal clear on the top end but a bit lean and cold in tone color. Not to my liking very much I'd say. Hence I decided to try something else as well, tried soulution, nagra, so far I'm sold to Nagra. The classic amps in bridge mode as mono powering the same speakers, the sound was warm, transparent and somehow much more engaging than the A1, very seductive.

Nagra is making some great sounds with their current line up !

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas

nickif

May 17, 2013
Nagra is making some great sounds with their current line up !

gonna listen to these tomorrow, looking very much forward to!

IMG_0239.JPG

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing