How Important is being close to the music in your System?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Just wondering about how audiophiles feel about the ability of a system to place the listener in a certain row in the audience. Is closer better i.e. the 3rd row or the 10th. What perspective does the considered best systems place the listener and if closer is a goal why do you feel that way.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
hmm.. Depends on the recording.. I really never get a seat placement but rather a realism and separation of depth and size of the aural space in the recording.. Classical recordings may give you a seat placement but I look for centered vocals and space and size to a recording.. Bad recordings sound bad on a $1 system and as bad on a $1million dollar system.. Recorded pop are mic sensitive especially live recordings .. Good live will make you feel like your in the venue !

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
To an extent, I believe many audiophiles tend to have favorite labels, engineers, etc (i.e. Wilkinson/Kingsway, etc.) that simply "speak" to them in terms of the experience they prefer. I'd bet that no matter what other great recorded presentations they might experience, they will typically default to their favorites when wanting the ultimate listening session. I'm sure these comments will raise some questions!

Lee

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I go almost exclusively classical concerts (including opera and ballet). About 70 a year. We tend to sit center or left center (piano side) about row 6 to 10, depending on the hall. In really good halls, we can sit further back, with no ill effects, but in not so good halls, sitting further back can be a disaster sonically. We are very safe where we normally sit, although these are almost always among the priciest tickets. Sonics are always very clear, whether it is a solo piano, chamber music, concerto or orchestral performance. Opera and ballet get us close enough to see what is going on and hear very clearly.

Larry

PS. You can read about my recent visit to London and the 15 concerts we attended there in May and June, including some comments on the acoustics of the different halls and where we sat. http://zero-distortion.org/music-notes/

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I vary the seating between 7'-9' from the speakers. Variety is the spice of life. :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Well I contend that the way the recording is engineered is secondary. The system is actually the deciding factor on how close to the music the listener will perceive a vocalist,trio,quartet,or orchestra. Maybe that's a minority view,but I find the closer the better. Now most classical recordings are mic'd further away,but that is because of the dynamic range.

Btw Larry that is a great list of recordings.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I go almost exclusively classical concerts (including opera and ballet). About 70 a year. We tend to sit center or left center (piano side) about row 6 to 10, depending on the hall. In really good halls, we can sit further back, with no ill effects, but in not so good halls, sitting further back can be a disaster sonically. We are very safe where we normally sit, although these are almost always among the priciest tickets. Sonics are always very clear, whether it is a solo piano, chamber music, concerto or orchestral performance. Opera and ballet get us close enough to see what is going on and hear very clearly.

Larry

PS. You can read about my recent visit to London and the 15 concerts we attended there in May and June, including some comments on the acoustics of the different halls and where we sat. http://zero-distortion.org/music-notes/

The two that we attended together at Barbican, I noticed I sat slightly behind you.

Yesterday I went to a Cecilia Batoli Philip Jaroussky concert at Wigmore Hall (it had been sold out for ages, but on that day I told them I am an audiophile and they gave me a front section seat). Today I attended Mahler 3 at Barbican, and normally I sit just back of center, but today had to sit slightly to the right of centre, a bit front. My preference for chamber and arias has usually been more immersive and close up, and for orchestral just back of center. How they translate into systems - SET+horns for the more richer, closer, continuous flow of music sound, and SS+Apogees (which someone else might substitute with a big Cone+subs system) for my Barbican orchestral preference.

I summarized that dilemma here http://zero-distortion.org/apogee_duetta_scintilla/

One thing for sure though, the Guns n Roses reunion show that I attended last Saturday at the Olympic Stadium is best done by two subwoofers in a live and boomy room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing