PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player/Direct Stream DAC

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Agreed. Very happy so far. This will be an easy product to write about. Fellow reviewers are saying great things to me about the more affordable Stellar line as well.

awesome news Lee. Prior to direct stream, I had the original PWD, was able to hardware and firmware upgrade it to PWD2 and finally Direct Stream...that is what I call serving the needs of the customer....not to mention the continual firmware upgrades. Excellent company.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for the update Lee.
Isn't it great when a substantial purchase turns out so successfully.
Coincidentally I bought the September issue of hi-fi+ earlier today and there is a piece by Chris Martens on the latest Huron OS firmware update. He says "running Huron, my DirectStream DAC exhibited what I perceived as quieter backgrounds, quicker transient speeds with an across-the-board improvement in definition, enhanced resolution and focus, more top end air, and smoother (but by no means softer) high frequency response."
Seems like you have lots of musical enjoyment to come.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Yes, it is breaking in nicely Barry. Today, I work on adding the ethernet connection to my router.

The new Stereophile has positive comments from Jim Austin on Huron.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
By the way, I had to power down yesterday due to Irma and we lost power at 5:30pm anyway. I hate when hurricanes interrupt the break-in process. :)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Lee and thanks for the updates.
I hope you escaped relatively unscathed from Irma. I followed it from time to time on CNN and the Caribbean and the Keys got a real pasting but happily not quite so bad as it moved up Florida. We don't get Florida's sunshine over here but we are spared the hurricanes.
Anyway hope your power is back and burn in can continue.
Thanks for the heads up on the Huron review which I've just read despite the challenges of Zinio reader - TAS so much easier to navigate!
Do keep up the progress reports. They are very interesting and bear out the first class reviews. Will be very interested to read in due course how much difference an upgraded HDMI cable makes but appreciate that most of us can't do all our favoured upgrades in one go.

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Hi everyone!

Has anyone had the chance to compare this DAC to Chord Dave?

Currently, I'd say that Dave is the best DAC I've heard yet, but from what I've read, DirectStream is way more future proof.
Seeing as how it has Audio over Ethernet, Tidal integrating and MQA support. Last but not least, it's FPGA is upgradeable, unlike Dave's.

So if possible, please let me know how the new Huron update compares to Dave.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi everyone!

Has anyone had the chance to compare this DAC to Chord Dave?

Currently, I'd say that Dave is the best DAC I've heard yet, but from what I've read, DirectStream is way more future proof.
Seeing as how it has Audio over Ethernet, Tidal integrating and MQA support. Last but not least, it's FPGA is upgradeable, unlike Dave's.

So if possible, please let me know how the new Huron update compares to Dave.

What have you heard and compared Dave to? How would you define "the best" in relation to your preferences?

For the record - Dave is approx. 40% more expensive than PS Audio DirectStream in Scandinavia/Europe.

All the best.

/ Marcus

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Hi Hyperion.

Dave just sounds lifelike to me. With a very smooth and natural presention. Lots of detail as well.

I've also heard Hugo TT, m2tech young DSD, which I currently own. Besides that, I tried Luxman DA06, sounds quite good as well, very smooth. Mytek Brooklyn together with XIAUDIO amp is what I tried as well. And all in all, Dave sounds most lifelike.

The reason I'm interested in PS Audio is because of what I've read about this DAC and also, because I already have their P5 Perfect Wave Power Plant. :)

It sounds amazing and brought new life into my system, so I don't think I'd go wrong with getting more of their stuff.
Oh and as you mentioned, Dave is a lot more expensive. :)

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Hi Hyperion.

Dave just sounds lifelike to me. With a very smooth and natural presention. Lots of detail as well.

I've also heard Hugo TT, m2tech young DSD, which I currently own. Besides that, I tried Luxman DA06, sounds quite good as well, very smooth. Mytek Brooklyn together with XIAUDIO amp is what I tried as well. And all in all, Dave sounds most lifelike.

The reason I'm interested in PS Audio is because of what I've read about this DAC and also, because I already have their P5 Perfect Wave Power Plant. :)

It sounds amazing and brought new life into my system, so I don't think I'd go wrong with getting more of their stuff.
Oh and as you mentioned, Dave is a lot more expensive. :)

On this level, there are many others to consider as well incl. Ayre QX-5, Aqua Formula etc. It's the next step in performance basically. PS Audio DS offers great performance and flexibility at the price (and above) as well as being as future proof as anything within this segment could possibly be. Also, Chord Dave is a DAC and headphone amp "only". The DS offers streaming (with the optional Bridge II card) and volume control as well. So, apples vs. pears in the end :).

/ Marcus

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
On this level, there are many others to consider as well incl. Ayre QX-5, Aqua Formula etc. It's the next step in performance basically. PS Audio DS offers great performance and flexibility at the price (and above) as well as being as future proof as anything within this segment could possibly be. Also, Chord Dave is a DAC and headphone amp "only". The DS offers streaming (with the optional Bridge II card) and volume control as well. So, apples vs. pears in the end :).

/ Marcus
Would you say that Aqua Formula is better than Dave overall? I know that with the Huron update, DirectStream is on par with La Scala mk2 Optologic, based on Darko DAC Index.

As for the streaming part of PS Audio, yes, this is exactly what made me interested in it, I was thinking of getting rid of my USB chain and integrating Tidal all in one package! Sounds pretty amazing. This would let me get rid of my USB cable, Mutec reclocker and Cybershaft clock which I bought.

The only question I have is how close is the Huron update to the likes of Dave, since I want to know how close it is to my current reference. Regardless of that, seeing as how its upgradable, it will keep getting better and better.

One other problem I have is the choice of a new headphone amp. I was thinking about either Goldmund Telos HDA or Viva Audio 2A3. But in the case of Goldmund, which is by far the best headphone amp I heard so far, it has a built in DAC, which can't be bypassed. So any future external DAC I buy is pretty much money thrown out the window.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Would you say that Aqua Formula is better than Dave overall? I know that with the Huron update, DirectStream is on par with La Scala mk2 Optologic, based on Darko DAC Index.

As for the streaming part of PS Audio, yes, this is exactly what made me interested in it, I was thinking of getting rid of my USB chain and integrating Tidal all in one package! Sounds pretty amazing. This would let me get rid of my USB cable, Mutec reclocker and Cybershaft clock which I bought.

The only question I have is how close is the Huron update to the likes of Dave, since I want to know how close it is to my current reference. Regardless of that, seeing as how its upgradable, it will keep getting better and better.

One other problem I have is the choice of a new headphone amp. I was thinking about either Goldmund Telos HDA or Viva Audio 2A3. But in the case of Goldmund, which is by far the best headphone amp I heard so far, it has a built in DAC, which can't be bypassed. So any future external DAC I buy is pretty much money thrown out the window.

I owned the Aqua Formula for 5 months. I never had the DAVE in my system to compare directly, but the feedback I got was that the Formula dac was more organic and had a more meaty presentation than the DAVE, which was said to be a bit clinical in direct comparison. so likely the 2 similar priced dacs are more different than one better or worse.

one mans 'clinical' is another man's more detailed.

YMMV.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
I owned the Aqua Formula for 5 months. I never had the DAVE in my system to compare directly, but the feedback I got was that the Formula dac was more organic and had a more meaty presentation than the DAVE, which was said to be a bit clinical in direct comparison. so likely the 2 similar priced dacs are more different than one better or worse.

one mans 'clinical' is another man's more detailed.

YMMV.

I can confirm these impressions based on my experience. It's crucial to understand that we're discussing differences more than overall superiority. The Aqua DAC's are together with APL the most organic and natural sounding DAC's that I've experienced first hand over time alongside MSB and TotalDAC. Chord Dave is more forward, selective, precise, detailed... Ultimately, it becomes a matter of system matching and personal preference.

I can't stress enough the value of a professional dealer partner that can guide, support and let you try the contenders in your own system. Nothing else matters.

/ Marcus

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
Guess I'll just have to hear what Aqua has to offer for myself.

Seems to me the best place for that would be the Munich High End show.
There I could compare with the rest of the stuff I had in mind.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I can possibly help here. The DAVE is excellent but Huron update equals it on detail but is a bit more musical in my opinion. More organic is how I would describe it. On some music the DAVE was not as rich in the midrange in my experience.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The other thing to keep in mind is the primary advantage of the DirectStream. When a new chip or implementation comes out with other dacs, you need to have a hardware-based update or buy a new one. The FPGA chip in the DirectStream allows for just a software update.

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
The other thing to keep in mind is the primary advantage of the DirectStream. When a new chip or implementation comes out with other dacs, you need to have a hardware-based update or buy a new one. The FPGA chip in the DirectStream allows for just a software update.
Hi Lee.

Thanks for letting me know, this is very helpful.

Yes, everything that you mentioned is why I'm taking DS into account, meaning:

- FPGA upgradeable
- Bridge II Streaming
- Tidal Integration
- MQA Decoding
- Already own P5 Power Plant and I like it a lot

Dave has absolutely none of these.

If the DS with Huron already equals Dave as you said, then any further update is just an icing on the cake for a lot less money and by any measure, makes DS a clear choice over Dave. As for your tastes, which other DAC did you hear for which you could say you liked and is close to the sound of DS or Dave?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think Dave and Direcstream are close due (perhaps) to FPGA implementation. DAVE is slightly analytical while DS is slightly warm/musical. I have not done a direct shootout on DSD but my guess is the DS would win. I'm a long-term SACD fan and supporter and have 1,300+ SACDs and numerous DSD files. DS is among the best SACD playback I have heard with the Memory Player as a transport. And my stack is still breaking in. So I might consider that aspect as well.

Nonetheless I am a Chord fan as well and Robert Watts is one of the best designers in this area. I will be getting a Hugo 2 in a few weeks for review.

My decision for PS Audio was also in part due to recognition that my beloved but circa 2000 Sony SCD-777ES would likely fail soon and I do a lot of 24/176 recordings so DVD-Audio playback is an important feature and I will probably get some Bluray Audio disc soon.

As a DAC the Chord DAVE is much more expensive but PS basically includes the Memory Player for the price difference. You could always get the new Chord transport which looks amazing but that would be more money and I am not sure it plays SACD. I seem to recall it doesn't.

Hi Lee.

Thanks for letting me know, this is very helpful.

Yes, everything that you mentioned is why I'm taking DS into account, meaning:

- FPGA upgradeable
- Bridge II Streaming
- Tidal Integration
- MQA Decoding
- Already own P5 Power Plant and I like it a lot

Dave has absolutely none of these.

If the DS with Huron already equals Dave as you said, then any further update is just an icing on the cake for a lot less money and by any measure, makes DS a clear choice over Dave. As for your tastes, which other DAC did you hear for which you could say you liked and is close to the sound of DS or Dave?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
P.S. Rafe Arnott is reviewing the TotalDAC for Part-Time Audiophile I believe but I have only heard it a couple of times at shows. It sounds good but based on what I heard I like the DS and Dave better. But I really don't have enough experience for an informed opinion.

Andreas Koch's Playback Designs is also excellent but a bit more than DS when including the transport.

Hifi Boy

Sep 16, 2017
P.S. Rafe Arnott is reviewing the TotalDAC for Part-Time Audiophile I believe but I have only heard it a couple of times at shows. It sounds good but based on what I heard I like the DS and Dave better. But I really don't have enough experience for an informed opinion.

Andreas Koch's Playback Designs is also excellent but a bit more than DS when including the transport.
Well, seeing as how you like the Dave so much, that should indicate that you might be looking for the same things in sound as me, which I believe is a good reference point for me to go on. That should pretty much seal the deal for me in deciding to get the PS DS. As for the transport, I only listen to ripped music from CDs or downloaded hires files. Recently I got Tidal, and I don't think it gets much better than that.

Mind you, I have no MQA enabled hardware. But the MQA files I did hear through my system and Audirvana Plus 3, sounded quite good. If MQA seriously takes off, then PS DS + Bridge II are a clear winner in my book.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Agreed.

Well, seeing as how you like the Dave so much, that should indicate that you might be looking for the same things in sound as me, which I believe is a good reference point for me to go on. That should pretty much seal the deal for me in deciding to get the PS DS. As for the transport, I only listen to ripped music from CDs or downloaded hires files. Recently I got Tidal, and I don't think it gets much better than that.

Mind you, I have no MQA enabled hardware. But the MQA files I did hear through my system and Audirvana Plus 3, sounded quite good. If MQA seriously takes off, then PS DS + Bridge II are a clear winner in my book.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing