PS Audio Direct Stream Memory Player/Direct Stream DAC

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I've been reading a lot of very good reports of this Transport/DAC .
Has anybody heard it with high end kit?
Particularly interested in how good it sounds with SACD and Redbook discs

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've been reading a lot of very good reports of this Transport/DAC .
Has anybody heard it with high end kit?
Particularly interested in how good it sounds with SACD and Redbook discs

Don't like the transport. Compared it to Lampi transport (which, btw, unlike the dac I am not a fan of, I think it can get much better), but PS did not do as well. I would buy an Aurender, better SQ. If you want to play CD and keep costs low, get a CAPS style.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is another audiophile in St Albans who owned this too but now has gone streaming and prefers his streamer much more. Not an expensive one, he uses the REDNET protocol. Don't know the details. He had the Vitus non-class A integrated, lower down from you but now went Dartzeel integrated to drive his big ProAcs. An older Metronome dac.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Don't like the transport. Compared it to Lampi transport (which, btw, unlike the dac I am not a fan of, I think it can get much better), but PS did not do as well. I would buy an Aurender, better SQ. If you want to play CD and keep costs low, get a CAPS style.

Which PS Audio transport are you referring to....the one that has been on the market for several years , or the newer one which, I believe, was just recently introduced several months ago?

Cheers.....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Newer. The guy I mentioned in St Albans had the older.

Barry, check this review http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/first-listen-ps-audio-perfectwave-memory-player-transport/?page=4 - check the bottom part of the page, comparison with Auralic Aries. I would agree, as in that shootout we had the cheap Auralic (500 quid or so) and I preferred that too. Also, it's not that I rate Auralic, it's great value for the money, possibly the best way to start streaming by buying an used Auralic. However Aurender (x100 upwards) are clearly better. Going by reports Melco should be too, but have to compare Melco, CAD, Antipodes etc.

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
The PS Audio Directstream DAC with Perfectwave Transport is an excellent performer. My music collection is mostly digital, but when I do use it for Redbook, it hits the mark.

Have not heard the new version of the transport but have read good things about it.

Best to give it a listen and see if you like that is brings to the table.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have the DAC and the original memory player (i2s connected). Sounds good enough for digital to me. Tremendous value...especially right now with the trade in deal.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks to you both
Yes the reviews are all very good and the current deal is attractive
Can i tear myself away from DCS is the big question but from what you both say it certainly seems I should give it a listen.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I've decided to give the the DSM and matching DAC a try
Loan units should arrive later this week, although the DAC will not have the Ethernet Bridge as it is not standard, but I am more concerned about its disc playing capabilities at this stage
Will post my impressions once it is up and running.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
I've decided to give the the DSM and matching DAC a try
Loan units should arrive later this week, although the DAC will not have the Ethernet Bridge as it is not standard, but I am more concerned about its disc playing capabilities at this stage
Will post my impressions once it is up and running.

Hello ,

Have you had a chance do any listening yet ? I'm curious about this digital combination.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I have the player but not the DAC which should be with me in the next day or two.
The courier firm I'm told was subject to a ransomeware attack which has delayed things a bit.
I'll post my reactions in the next few days if all goes well, but the player looks good and seems to be very good build quality though,of course it will be the sound quality that will decide it

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
The DAC arrived on Thursday morning and together with the transport went into the system that afternoon (details in my profile) so able to report initial impressions.
I have the grey units which look good and the build quality seems good as well. The DAC is brand new and the latest model but the transport had had some play.Unusually the Transport/DAC connection recommended is with a supplied shortish HDMI lead which is what I have used together with Entreq Challenger 3V power cable and Entreq Apollo balanced i/cs so very straightforward.
Listened with no preconceptions or expectations and after only 15 mins play I was liking the sound. Listened more critically to a mixture of CDs and SACDS during the course of the evening and today - Abcko Stones Beggars Banquet, DSD remastered Stones Aftermath, Steven Isserls Dvorak Cello Concerto CD, Vanessa Fernandez SACD When the Levee Breaks, Dire Straits SACD Brothers in Arms and Kraftwerk OK Computer and now listening to Patricia Barber Modern Cool SACD,The sound has steadily improved on both CD and SACD, but have listened to more of the latter so far.
How does it sound? Very good and better than the resident DCS Puccini/Scarlatti clock. A natural musical and communicative sound with transparency, placement and timing, frequency response and transient attack all good. No discernible digital glare and a communicative sound.
I did debate with myself whether to try a home audition but no regrets so far. The sound is feeling right to my ears and a good synergy with the rest of the system.
I'll need to have a more extended listen before deciding but so far very enjoyable and IMHO certainly worth a home audition.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
The DAC arrived on Thursday morning and together with the transport went into the system that afternoon (details in my profile) so able to report initial impressions.
I have the grey units which look good and the build quality seems good as well. The DAC is brand new and the latest model but the transport had had some play.Unusually the Transport/DAC connection recommended is with a supplied shortish HDMI lead which is what I have used together with Entreq Challenger 3V power cable and Entreq Apollo balanced i/cs so very straightforward.
Listened with no preconceptions or expectations and after only 15 mins play I was liking the sound. Listened more critically to a mixture of CDs and SACDS during the course of the evening and today - Abcko Stones Beggars Banquet, DSD remastered Stones Aftermath, Steven Isserls Dvorak Cello Concerto CD, Vanessa Fernandez SACD When the Levee Breaks, Dire Straits SACD Brothers in Arms and Kraftwerk OK Computer and now listening to Patricia Barber Modern Cool SACD,The sound has steadily improved on both CD and SACD, but have listened to more of the latter so far.
How does it sound? Very good and better than the resident DCS Puccini/Scarlatti clock. A natural musical and communicative sound with transparency, placement and timing, frequency response and transient attack all good. No discernible digital glare and a communicative sound.
I did debate with myself whether to try a home audition but no regrets so far. The sound is feeling right to my ears and a good synergy with the rest of the system.
I'll need to have a more extended listen before deciding but so far very enjoyable and IMHO certainly worth a home audition.

Thanks for the update and impressions. If these units meet or exceed your expectations. Is your desire to replace your DCS gear with it?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I've been wanting to upgrade the Puccini/Scarlatti for a while but finding a suitable sacd capable replacement without too big a price is not proving easy.
A Paganini Transport/Dac doesn't seem to offer that much more and Scarlatti's are rarer and more expensive. I did try the T+A PDP 3000 HV but it didn't hit the right notes for me even though it is undoubtedly a good piece of kit. Scarlatti at the right price and condition is still a contender but as I read more about the PS Audio DMP duo I decided to give it a try.
My initial impressions are all good. It is sounding good and looks good too but not sure how well it will hold its value compared with DCS.But it would be new, bang up to date and no worries about any breakdown issues. Not that there is a problem with DCS servicing other than potential costs.On the whole my preference is for solid state notwithstanding all the good things I read and hear about Lampis.
So at this stage the PS Audio DMP duo are very much in the frame and I hope to make a decision in the next couple of weeks

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Sorry for not posting earlier but the DAC was new and needed to burn in.
It's a very good duo. The initial sound with the DAC was rich and full but didn't appear to be at the expense of detail and adding an Entreq grounding cable to the DAC made a noticeable improvement to the the sound quality. The richness eased with burning in but retained its attractive analogue like character. The bass is particularly good and allows the higher frequencies to show their full qualities,
I can find nothing not to like about the pairing and it is certainly a step up up from my DCS Puccini/Scarlatti clock. The only real reservation I have is how well they will hold their value notwithstanding the inclusion of their firmware up dates, I'm also debating whether I want silver or black so that gives you an indication of how impressed I am by the duo.
Still trying to make a final decision but very tempted indeed and IMHO all the very favourable reviews can be relied upon and they were prior to the latest Huron firmware on the DAC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing