Record-Breaking Canadian Sniper Kills ISIS Fighter With Two-Mile Shot

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
? Canadian sniper in Iraq makes longest confirmed kill shot in military history ? Check the short video clip of that link; incredible!

A sniper has taken out an ISIS fanatic with a 11,300ft shot in the longest confirmed kill recorded.

A McMillan TAC-50 sniper rifle was used in the longest confirmed kill by a sniper with Canada’s elite special forces in northern Iraq.

"The bullet traveled 3,450 meters—over two miles—and took less than 10 seconds to reach its target: a fighter for the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) in Iraq.

Firing from such a distance, the shooter would have had to account for wind; the round dropping as it was fired from a higher location; and even the curvature of the earth."

______

"The kill was independently verified by video camera and other data, according to the Canadian press."

Another military source added: “Hard data on this. It isn’t an opinion. It isn’t an approximation. There is a second location with eyes on with all the right equipment to capture exactly what the shot was.

“This is an incredible feat. It is a world record that might never be equalled.”

The skill of the JTF2 sniper in taking down an insurgent at 11,300ft required math skills, great eyesight, precision of ammunition and firearms, and intense training.

“This is a skill set that only a very few people have.”

______

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Nice!

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes Tom, it is extraordinary. He shattered the previous record by 1,000 meters!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

* Now I'm trying to get/confirm the exact distance: 3,450 meters, or 3,540 meters.
I've seen several sources saying one of the two numbers above, and several other sources saying the other number.
And some articles mentioned both numbers!

EDIT: I believe it is 3,450m (just over two miles). The other number is simply a typo.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Was the cartridge .50 BMG or .416 Barrett?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Was the cartridge .50 BMG or .416 Barrett?

Yes Ron, the first one: .50 BMG

"The rifle used by the unnamed sharpshooter and his observer was a McMillan Tac-50 firing a .50" Browning Machine Gun round, one of the largest cartridges commonly used in shoulder-fired small arms. In Canadian service the rifle has the designation C15A1, being an upgrade from the original C15 as supplied with a fibreglass stock."

? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG
_____

The effective maximum range of that particular rifle ? is 3,600 meters.
And 3,450 meters is 2.1 miles (the new record distance here).
And that rifle is great because it saves innocent victims if they would have used bombs/missiles instead. No collateral damage.
_____

EXTRA: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...d-breaking-kill-shot-in-iraq/article35415651/

Editor's Note: The distance of the record-breaking shot is 3,540 metres, not 3,450 as reported in an earlier version of this story.

This is conflicting ? because most other sources (85% roughly) mentioned 3,450

https://twitter.com/@RobertFife

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Bob.

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
Jeez, Northstar I thought you were all sweetness & light - the world is wonderful - let's hug one another?
Apparently not!!
Eh, this is guy being killed - just to remind you!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
He was an ISIS militant/insurgent/fighter. It happened during war/terror time, where and when thousands of civilians are displaced or killed.
It happened back in May 2017.

“The shot in question actually disrupted a Daesh (Islamic State) attack on Iraqi security forces,” a military source — who requested anonymity because the unit’s operations are classified — told the paper. “Instead of dropping a bomb that could potentially kill civilians in the area, it is a very precise application of force and because it was so far way, the bad guys didn’t have a clue what was happening.”

While officials would not say where the shot took place, the statement noted the command "provides its expertise to Iraqi security forces to detect, identify and defeat Daesh activities from well behind the Iraqi security force front line in Mosul."

The sniper disrupted an ISIS fighter who was attacking a group of Iraqi soldiers.*

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...SIS-fighter-TWO-MILES-away.html#ixzz4krHIDm4e

[video]http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/downtime/canadian-sniper-breaks-world-record-for-longest-kill-shot/vp-BBD32kO[/video]

"A military source told The Globe and Mail the kill was verified by video, adding:*'This is an incredible feat. It is a world record that might never be equalled.'

The third longest kill was by Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong, who shot down an Afghan insurgent from*7,972 feet(1.51 miles) in 2002 during Operation Anaconda.*
And prior to that, Master Corporal Arron Perry hit a terrorist from 7579 feet. He was also Canadian and serving in the same operation.*
The longest kill from a US sniper was done by sergeant Bryan Kremer, who hit an Iraqi insurgent at*7,546 feet(1.42 miles) with his Barrett M82A1 rifle in 2004."

"Few details are available about their operation, but their last reported location was in the north of Iraq, where a major operation is underway to recapture Mosul.

The Canadians used sniper fire to 'neutralise' the ISIS threat without taking any casualties.

Special forces fighting in Iraq and Syria regularly make use of sniper rifles, as they are considered a more accurate way of targeting insurgents than airstrikes.*
Last month, a British SAS sniper is said to have shot dead an ISIS jihadi from 7,920 feet (1.50 miles) away using the world's most powerful rifle."

_____
_____

ISIS terrorist insurgent/militant fighters rape women, kill civilians, cut the heads off from "infidels", terrorise the world by committing despicable acts of violence extreme on innocent people, ...the more we learn, the more support our soldiers we give from their tremendous services, bravura, sacrifices.

Snipers are good because they are more accurate than dropped bombs with the potential of creating collateral dammage (killing civilians).

Watch videos of ISIS insurgents, what they do to others. They don't want peace, they want to kill, to create conflicts, to bait, to turn our peaceful and democratic world upside down.
Watch videos of Manchester, of that Pulse bar in Florida, of Paris, of New York, ... of the journalists having their heads cut off from a sharp knife, of the 19 Egyptians, of the young girls being raped and shot in the head, of the torture, violence, terror, all the blood, all the rivers full of human blood from innocent people. Learn and respect and make your own mind.
And tell me how wonderful the world is according to Bob!

Now, take a deep breath, and discuss the post instead of the poster. Tell us what you think, you, of the merit of our Canadian Elite Team of Snipers?
Forget Bob, the peaceful Bob, the peace and love Bob, it's not about Bob.

So, who got killed, an angel or a devil? Talk about the post content, and not about the poster. Stop right now criticising the poster; he has done nothing wrong. It's not his fault if he loves people all around. It's not his fault if he's an intelligent human being who can assess that situation (new record long distance sniper shot) with acuity and accuracy.
Don't talk about me, don't try to bait me, man-up and discuss the post content.
If you can't don't reply here. If you got something to contribute, you're welcome. Tom and Ron appreciated in simplicity and in good common sense; follow their example.

That's it Mister John Keny from Ireland.

Last edited:

jkeny

Industry Expert, Member Sponsor
Feb 9, 2012
Ireland
That's it Mister John Keny from Ireland.
What's meant by the text I quoted above?

I just find it odd (& somewhat disappointing) that the killing of someone is being praised, no matter what distance it was from or what record he broke in doing so

It reminds me of a Leonard Cohen lyric snippet - "I'm guided by the beauty of our weapons"

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Jeez, Northstar I thought you were all sweetness & light - the world is wonderful - let's hug one another?
Apparently not!!
Eh, this is guy being killed - just to remind you!

..not a guy...a murdering animal

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
..not a guy...a murdering animal

+1 on this; ISIS fighters who perpetrate these horrors gave up their right to claim status as human beings a long time ago.
Same for other death squad like efforts over the years from all countries, Nazi SS, etc, etc, etc...

This is a great shot, never heard of anything like it but apparently there is an American who came close and I suspect, possibly others.

I applaud the use of sniper kill-shots for this versus large weaponry which unfortunately the US and others use constantly that brings 'collateral damage'
otherwise known as innocent people getting killed.

A shot like this also inspires fear in those who remain...I like it very much!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The distance (record) has been corrected: It is 3,540 meters (11,614 feet) or 3.54 kilometers (3,871 yards ? 2.2 miles).
_____

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/25/15863472/canada-sniper-record-two-miles-isis-iraq

http://globalnews.ca/news/3552281/snipers-canadian-military/

Criticism from people who complain that celebrating sniping feats is akin to celebrating death is out of order.

“Would they rather we not go over there and just let ISIS continue to grow? Which, if they do, there’s only going to be more innocent people dying,” he says. “We’re not celebrating death here, we’re celebrating and recognizing an accomplishment by a soldier who has dedicated his whole life to becoming a professional at an elite level.

“We lie in our beds at night, safe and sound, because there are strong men who travel to these places in the world and do deeds that most people can’t even consider doing.”

_____

Please, read the articles I provided before commenting. And I welcome all comments, not on me, but on the articles.
Assess this situation of the world of terrorists with a clear mind and intelligent survival for peace and freedom.
This is not about me, this is about our world, how to protect it best so that our future generations can survive.
Learn very well first, open your eyes wide open, and love life by the right way; with intelligence and peace.
_____

* On another unrelated news: It is extremely painful about that oil truck tanker that capsized in one of Pakistan's road.
A high elevated speaker announced the oil spill in one village so that they can rush to the site to collect the precious fuel with their plastic bottles and jerry cans. ...And the fatal/tragic consequence, a nightmare of epic proportion. There is no final count yet of the total number of victims, but it could very well be around 200.
I looked @ some videos; it is like hell on earth. I also look @ other oil tanker trucks that spilled their cargos in similar situations in the past, and all the people gathering @ the sites to collect the fuel for their bikes and cars, but mainly for cooking. The people are poor and desperate, Pakistan is a broken culture of inequality and corruption and ... you have to read and learn ... there's a book ... 'Playing with Fire', and much more on this country and the people living there, from the rich to the poor, with all they have and don't, with their faith hanging from a thin string...
It only takes one smoker with a cigarette to ... one small sparkle. The idea of getting a plastic bottle of fuel for free is blinding people from the risk of death. We're talking grownup men here, with their wives and children, poor, very poor villagers with no direction.

@ one point I had to give up. And I was thinking about the various human mentalities from different parts of the world.
Even after the tragedy there were thousands of onlookers all gathered around the scene.
_____

I'm proud to be a Canadian. I'm proud to be able of saying it. I'm proud of my brothers and sisters helping others.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
The distance (record) has been corrected: It is 3,540 meters (11,614 feet) or 3.54 kilometers (3,871 yards ? 2.2 miles).
_____

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/25/15863472/canada-sniper-record-two-miles-isis-iraq

http://globalnews.ca/news/3552281/snipers-canadian-military/

Criticism from people who complain that celebrating sniping feats is akin to celebrating death is out of order.

“Would they rather we not go over there and just let ISIS continue to grow? Which, if they do, there’s only going to be more innocent people dying,” he says. “We’re not celebrating death here, we’re celebrating and recognizing an accomplishment by a soldier who has dedicated his whole life to becoming a professional at an elite level.

“We lie in our beds at night, safe and sound, because there are strong men who travel to these places in the world and do deeds that most people can’t even consider doing.”

_____

Please, read the articles I provided before commenting. And I welcome all comments, not on me, but on the articles.
Assess this situation of the world of terrorists with a clear mind and intelligent survival for peace and freedom.
This is not about me, this is about our world, how to protect it best so that our future generations can survive.
Learn very well first, open your eyes wide open, and love life by the right way; with intelligence and peace.
_____

* On another unrelated news: It is extremely painful about that oil truck tanker that capsized in one of Pakistan's road.
A high elevated speaker announced the oil spill in one village so that they can rush to the site to collect the precious fuel with their plastic bottles and jerry cans. ...And the fatal/tragic consequence, a nightmare of epic proportion. There is no final count yet of the total number of victims, but it could very well be around 200.
I looked @ some videos; it is like hell on earth. I also look @ other oil tanker trucks that spilled their cargos in similar situations in the past, and all the people gathering @ the sites to collect the fuel for their bikes and cars. It only takes one smoker with a cigarette to ... one small sparkle. The idea of getting a plastic bottle of fuel for free is blinding people from the risk of death. We're talking grownup men here, with their wives and children.

@ one point I had to give up. And I was thinking about the various human mentalities from different parts of the world.
Even after the tragedy there were thousands of onlookers all gathered around the scene.
_____

I'm proud to be a Canadian. I'm proud to be able of saying it. I'm proud of my brothers and sisters helping others.

Great articles,..thank you! Great country that you live in!!!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
One shot...one kill and war is hell

Attachments

• one-shot-one-kill-no-remorse-i-decide-patch.jpg
    one-shot-one-kill-no-remorse-i-decide-patch.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 102

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Great articles,..thank you! Great country that you live in!!!

Canada is roughly ranked number ten for most peaceful country. Some northern Europe countries are more peaceful, and New Zealand, Iceland, ...
There are also magnificent looking vistas in those peaceful countries.

Canada looks good, it is vast, lots of resources, not crowdy, snow, two oceans (like all America), the Rockies, Banff, Jasper, the West coast, forests, ...
We have our problems, and we have some of the best world's disciplined and accomplished audio tech people, designers, programmers, snipers and spotters. ...Team work.
I would easily live in Switzerland, Austria, Denmark, New Zealand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Peace_Index
_____

Canada has the record for the longest sniper shot, and they have some of the best world's snipers. They are among the best, the Elite.
They deserve my respect for their discipline, technical dedication, aim and precision. They set a good example in the tough times our world is living in.
Thank you for your support, encouragement and understanding. I support you back.
_____
_______

@Roger, we stand to better our surroundings, to expand our aim and justice. Music is very good for the soul and spirit.
The pursuit of happiness is a fair goal, equal for everyone. We decide, nobody else decide for us.
Your logo reminds me of some other logos. But more than that it reminds me that without fighting for peace we're just dead skulls. ...In a twix.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
From an expert:

"The McMillan is credited with being the most accurate .50 BMG sniper weapon out there by multiple sources. The military specially loads each round for these weapons, whether it be McMillan or any other long range sniper weapon. Looking at groups fired, my estimation is that its accuracy is between 1/2 t0 1/4 moa in the military sniper rounds. Let's say 3/8 moa is a reasonable estimate. This is a group of 3.75" at 1,000 yards, times 3.835 for 3,835 yards is a little over a 14" group. That would be 7" off point of aim.
The point about the round losing some stability as it passes through the speed of sound is valid. I suspect, however, that the military sighting system takes that into account. Those long range systems utilize a computer chip in the telescope which is fed info via satellite link. The scope compensates for distance, elevation of sniper and target, curvature of the earth, wind, constant and swirling, temperature, and humidity. These systems are extremely expensive and, insofar as I know, are not available on the civilian market., although some very sophisticated systems utilizing computer technology are available."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing