VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
That was beautiful.

My sentiments exactly.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That last video from the previous page is funny because he has long periods of talking without being funny, looking uncertain about this subject; good reason.
One time he mentioned virus. Cancer is a very real thing (biggest cause of death in the world: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/ ).
How certain can we be about how long we have on our planet Earth till a major meltdown?
Who can predict with accuracy the time remaining we have left? Nobody.

The Earth is not very big; it's only 25,000 miles across.
If you build a straight highway in its circumference, and drive a nice car, Tesla, and set it to 100mph, you'll be done in less than eleven days.
In a super fast jet plane; in less than eleven hours (2,275mph).

Today, June 22, 2017 we are 7.5 billion people. We are in the era of enough people and industries to influence the Earth's comportment and transition.
Everything we produce in the air (carbon monoxide), on the ground (cutting the rainforests and mining coal and smoking stuff...), energy from nuclear reactors with the consequences of past, present and future spills, our oceans, our planet's temperature, our water and food contamination (cancer), our extreme pollution (blurred vision, asphyxiated lungs, ...), radio activity in our soils and oceans, clouds of polluted particles hovering above us that we breathe every day, cars using gas, oil based products, our disposed garbages, our dumps, our consumption, our shopping bags (plastics, nylons, polyamide, DuPont, ...), our building materials (flammable), our electrical grids during extreme heat and cold, our wires, our jet's fuel, our rocket's launching pads, our hackers, ... we are enough people to compete with nature elements and influence Earth's destiny. It's not something I believe, it's something scientists believe. Those guys have Phd in their fields of expertise. If we don't rely on science who are we going to rely on? ...Our neighbors? Our governments? Our city officials? Our audio dealers? ...Who?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
That last video from the previous page is funny because he has long periods of talking without being funny, looking uncertain about this subject; good reason.
One time he mentioned virus. Cancer is a very real thing (biggest cause of death in the world: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/ ).
How certain can we be about how long we have on our planet Earth till a major meltdown?
Who can predict with accuracy the time remaining we have left? Nobody.

The Earth is not very big; it's only 25,000 miles across.
If you build a straight highway in its circumference, and drive a nice car, Tesla, and set it to 100mph, you'll be done in less than eleven days.
In a super fast jet plane; in less than eleven hours (2,275mph).

Today, June 22, 2017 we are 7.5 billion people. We are in the era of enough people and industries to influence the Earth's comportment and transition.
Everything we produce in the air (carbon monoxide), on the ground (cutting the rainforests and mining coal and smoking stuff...), energy from nuclear reactors with the consequences of past, present and future spills, our oceans, our planet's temperature, our water and food contamination (cancer), our extreme pollution (blurred vision, asphyxiated lungs, ...), radio activity in our soils and oceans, clouds of polluted particles hovering above us that we breathe every day, cars using gas, oil based products, our disposed garbages, our dumps, our consumption, our shopping bags (plastics, nylons, polyamide, DuPont, ...), our building materials (flammable), our electrical grids during extreme heat and cold, our wires, our jet's fuel, our rocket's launching pads, our hackers, ... we are enough people to compete with nature elements and influence Earth's destiny. It's not something I believe, it's something scientists believe. Those guys have Phd in their fields of expertise. If we don't rely on science who are we going to rely on? ...Our neighbors? Our governments? Our city officials? Our audio dealers? ...Who?

Some scientists. Not all scientists. Scientists told us overpopulation would be catastrophic by year 2000. Scientists told us, in the 70's, we were heading for an ice-age. Why should I trust scientists? The sky is not falling—it is in fact quite beautiful:

Pioneer Mountains.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Wow, you just took that shot, it's beautiful. It doesn't appear to be polluted.
Yes, "some" scientists. The others they work for the government, or the news media.

Here the sky is blue all around; not one single cloud above, but not as high hot like down the south-west of the USA:
http://www.smh.com.au/world/two-dea...emperatures-hit-high-40s-20170622-gww8dw.html

I like the idea of solar panels...on a tall wall. Good for producing electricity to power air conditioning when the weather is extremely hot.
But how can you cool off airplanes on the tarmac? It must melt the rubber of those wheels too? When it's too hot in Mexico, people stop driving and take a nap in their hammocks installed under their trucks.

* There are few earthquakes happening in the world recently; a 6.8 magnitude one in Guatemala (south-west coast) and El Salvador, this morning:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...ualties-reported/ar-BBD2rjB?OCID=ansmsnnews11

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Some scientists. Not all scientists. Scientists told us overpopulation would be catastrophic by year 2000. Scientists told us, in the 70's, we were heading for an ice-age. Why should I trust scientists? The sky is not falling—it is in fact quite beautiful:

View attachment 33542

Did you see the jet contrails in your pure blue sky? You are being poisoned daily by those contrails. (So goes the conspiracy theory).

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Did you see the jet contrails in your pure blue sky? You are being poisoned daily by those contrails. (So goes the conspiracy theory).

I know... and it confounds the hell out of them! Where the contrail chemicals have succeeded in getting most to buy into the climate change agenda, it is having an opposite effect on me. I fear they'll be picking me up in the alien ship and giving me the anal probe!

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I know... and it confounds the hell out of them! Where the contrail chemicals have succeeded in getting most to buy into the climate change agenda, it is having an opposite effect on me. I fear they'll be picking me up in the alien ship and giving me the anal probe!

That's quite a fantasy you have concocted there.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
My brother, he lives in Quebec, has been involved for the last ten years with wind turbines. Because now he has one half kilometer from his house and the noise is affecting him and his family. They are in serious talks with scientists and government analysts. It's a battle they lost @ a very very steep price; emotionally, stress, time consuming, financially, ecologically, decor wise, noise contamination, deprivation of sleep, low bass frequency turbulences affecting the bone skeleton structure and the membranes of the brain, plus the dreams becoming nightmares instead of pleasant sweet dreams. I was once @ one of their general public meeting with all the big company's shots. The place was controlled by agents, like CIA type agents, secret agents working for the big Spaniard multinational who got that contract to build something like over 100 wind turbines in his region. He lives between Montreal and Quebec City, on the east side of the St-Lawrence river, towards the interior, where they have good winds, of course.

He has spent ten years of his life fighting, and they lost. Now he is fighting again, against the noise. My brother was the maire of his town once, and he is the main leader in the fight against those wind turbines that are erected right on their lands. Some folks were offered $5,000 cheques for each turbine they put on their land. I don't think they knew how unhealthy they would become, how their beautiful countryside would lost its charm forever. Their home's assessments took a major hit; they cannot sell anymore without taking a major loss.
Who wants to buy a home with a wind turbine few hundred meters from their doorstep and bedroom's window!
Invite your friends over in the summer, and have a barbecue outside in your backyard, with the view of wind turbines nearby and the noise they produce plus the ground vibrations! It is 100% unnatural, inhuman. It shortens life, impedes on quality time living, it's another type of cancer, a disease, a virus...without an antidote.

Some of you live in California, others in the UK, on the coast, and you are familiar with wind turbines, but you don't live few hundred meters from them. Ask the ones who do!
For forty years my brother invested all his money and time building a family and a home. I don't have to tell you how life is harsh sometimes.
Still, we are a billion times more lucky than all the million of children dying every year because they have no water, no food, no medicine, no nothing @ all.

Some people say that wars are good. It's the most lucrative business; arm's dealings, guns sales, war gear, bullets.
Instead of building water aqueducts we are creating blood rivers.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Bob,
It's great to see entrepreneurs working towards a sustainable future though the pathway to what is truly sustainable isn't necessarily simple or wrapped around what have been seen as the primary concerns in the past.

Transport is part of the issue and as initially attractive as they seem electric vehicles may not even necessarily be the solution. They would likely be resource and energy intensive during their embodied phase (extraction, production though to delivery), less so on their operational (in use) phase and then again more so on their end of life (reuse, recycle, waste) phase.

If you do a carbon footprint analysis of your life you'll likely find that the two areas of your life that are usually the most resource and greenhouse intensive will be in terms of the food and shelter you need rather than transport.

Sustainable models for the future are about resource usage and carbon footprint and about models of change that we can sustain. Escaping a planet given over to waste is the worst possible scenario. If we can't solve any of this by just changing our behaviour first we may not have a strong argument for our survival as a species anyway.

While we may go down in human history as a relatively knowledgeable and technologically evolved culture if however we don't change our ways we certainly won't be going down as a wise one.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I fully agree with what you've just said.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150323-how-long-will-life-on-earth-last
https://www.universetoday.com/25367/how-long-will-life-survive-on-earth/

"If humanity does survive well into the future, is there anything we could do about this problem?

As the Sun heats up, making Earth inhospitable, it heats up the rest of the Solar System too. Frozen worlds in the Solar System will melt, becoming more habitable.

It’s possible that future civilizations could relocate to the asteroid belt, or the moons of Saturn. We could try something even more radical: move the Earth.

By carefully steering asteroids so they barely miss us, an advanced civilization could distort the Earth’s orbit, relocating our planet further from the Sun.

As the Sun heats up, our planet would be continuously repositioned so the surface temperature stays roughly the same. Of course, this would be tricky business. Make the wrong move, and you’re facing the frigid cold of the outer Solar System.

So there’s no need to panic. Life here has a few hundred million years left; a billion, tops. But if we want to continue on for billions of years, we’ll want to add solar heating to our growing list of big problems."

_____

We are no scientists here, except for one of our members I believe...astro...something...astrotoy - Retired former astronomer and Foundation CEO
It's the human species we're talking about. We all need food, water, oxygen, ...
And the time we waste on tweeting would be better spent on analysing the situation on Earth and act to preserve not only our survival but also our sanity.

If I find something new and important I'll make some emission of it. I keep track of our orbit and the people in it. It's not an easy job but someone has to do it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing