What are some of the most comfortable headphones for extended listening?

caesar

May 30, 2010
What are some of the most comfortable headphones for those extended listening sessions?

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
What are some of the most comfortable headphones for those extended listening sessions?

AQ NightHawk, B&O H4, Beyer DT770/T1/T90, Bose QC35, Sennheiser HD800, Sonus Faber Pryma. I selected these from a list of around 150, and I didn't include headphones that are OK for me, but a very snug fit that could be a problem for a lot of users. Examples of those are the v-moda M100 and Wireless-2, the B&W P7, Beyer DT1770 pro, Sennheiser HD380/Momentum etc. The Focal Elear is a possibility, but I don't remember if the earpads were generously roomy or snug.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
AKG 702 and HD800 are my lightest and most comfortable headphones.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
The Sennheiser HD598 is the most comfortable headphone I've worn. While it isn't the last word in detail, the sound is engaging and the fatigue is literally nonexistant. They are light, sit comfortably on the head, provide just enough pressure to stay secure but not vice your head, and are open back giving you air flow. I also have a pair of the Sennheiser HD6XX from Massdrop and while they are better headphones, I still prefer the fatigue-less experience of the 598.

When I went shopping for the 598, I was looking specifically for a balance leaning towards comfort over performance. After wearing around 100 headphones, the 598 were in a league all their own for me. YMMV

PS - I have semi-large ears.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Sennheiser HD598 is the most comfortable headphone I've worn. While it isn't the last word in detail, the sound is engaging and the fatigue is literally nonexistant. They are light, sit comfortably on the head, provide just enough pressure to stay secure but not vice your head, and are open back giving you air flow. I also have a pair of the Sennheiser HD6XX from Massdrop and while they are better headphones, I still prefer the fatigue-less experience of the 598.

When I went shopping for the 598, I was looking specifically for a balance leaning towards comfort over performance. After wearing around 100 headphones, the 598 were in a league all their own for me. YMMV

PS - I have semi-large ears.

Wow! 100 headphones! That is some auditioning! I own the Sennheiser 650s and sometimes will wear them for several hours while working. Extremely comfortable indeed.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My Stax are pretty comfortable, but so far, the most comfortable headphones and beautifully built are the Sony Z7 and Z1R. Sonically, they are both wonderful as well, with the Z1R having the extra high cost for extra refinement. The Z7 is a stone bargain these days for 3 to 4 hundred, and used with a high current amp, they sing and become almost stat-like.

Both headphones are light and have great earcups for long term comfort and are closed rather than open. They still have great sound staging even though closed.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Bose Quiet comfort 35 live up to their name . They are light weight and airy. The Sony wh 1000m3 are a significant improvement in comfort over the M2.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
If open-back is OK (I assume Stax is), then the new Grado wireless at 160 gm with very soft earpads and minimal clamp are as comfy as the Bose QC35 that I also own, with the added advantage that the Grado gets its quality sound without the internal equalization.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Pryma headphones are extremely comfortable.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
The Pryma headphones are extremely comfortable.

The Pryma by Sonus Faber is a beautiful and nicely-made headphone with good sound - highly recommended. It's still no. 6 all-time on my youtube channel after 3 years adding other items.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Interesting -- I thought the Pryma sounded good, but I know nothing about headphones, so I reported only that I think they are extremely comfortable.

dalethorn

Headphone user
Dec 9, 2012
Cleveland TN.
dalethorn.com
Interesting -- I thought the Pryma sounded good, but I know nothing about headphones, so I reported only that I think they are extremely comfortable.

I decided to buy the Carbon Marsala version, which is lovely, but after I purchased some white Gucci walking shoes, I wish I also had the white version of the headphone. It would have been a great match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing