About time I said hello

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Good afternoon to you all from a sunny UK
Firstly congrats to a great forum

I thought after over 2 yrs of being a member and coming in most days to peruse the lastest/newest posts I thought today would be a good day to introduce myself.

I started out on my journey 5 yrs ago when I went out to buy a new TV and came home with a TV a Arcam AV400,Arcam BPD100 4 Monitor Audio RX8’s, and a REL sub and in the following couple of years has morphed into what i have now 20170620_151959.jpg
Im pretty much happy with where i am now the only things to which I aspire to are a Melco N1AH60 and a bigger room currently it is all just in my living room but unfortunatley the only way that is going to improve is if i move house which is unlikely soon as I have only just got my current place just how I want it(apart from a bigger listening room)
To give you an idea of the type of music i like here is a quick list of the last 10 so artists/groups i have been listening to most recently.
Miles Davis
Dave Grusin
Nils Lofgren
Sonny Rollins
Yello
Air
Antonio Forcione
Jamie Cullum
Helge Lien Trio
Pink Floyd
Infected Mushroom
Santana

i could go on and on

I have also started to appreciate some classical music recently(never thought i would be listening to classical) i think my favorite so far being Debussey.
I originally came across WBF after i bought my first Entreq product and found Spiritofmusic's excellent thread on Entreq

Anyway thats enough from me it was meant to be a quick hello

I look forward to participating slighty more in future

Cheers

Last edited:

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Thanks for the warm welcome Steve, im pleased to hear you like my humble little set up I must say though I feel its rather inferior to most here, having said that though it does give me a lot of pleasure

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for the warm welcome Steve, im pleased to hear you like my humble little set up I must say though I feel its rather inferior to most here, having said that though it does give me a lot of pleasure

the Monitor Audio speakers are phenomenal. Welcome

As Jeffrey said there's some good buzz about your speakers

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Thanks for the welcome Jeffrey
Yes, I have to say I'm very impressed with the PL200's I also have the PL100's and the PL150 center speaker. Bought them all when Monitor Audio launched the new replacement Platinum range and I got them all brand new, boxed and warranty, for a good bit less than half price. At the time I wanted to get the PL300's because of the excellent prices available to me at the time but I decided not to because I felt my room wasn't bigger enough I think it would have been overkill

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Trev,....welcome! Nice system; certainly gets it done very nicely. I have fond memories of Arcam gear for a few years in my HT. Beautifully built gear...

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Thanks for the welcome SCAudiophile. I Have always been more than happy with the Arcam kit since I have had it like you say it's certainly well made

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome, Trev!

I like Monitor Audio speakers. I just ordered one of their in-ceiling speakers for a five-way comparison.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Welcome Trevor; I'm certain there will be a lot to interest you here..

I have in mind to spend some time with the MA Platinums later this year with a view to using the 300ii's, probably you are correct choosing the 200's if your space is a little restricted but never the less, still a wonderful loudspeaker.

Best Regards,
Paul.

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Thanks for the welcome Ron.
I have been following your thread about ceiling speakers and am looking forward to hearing what you think of the Monitor Audio speakers, when are you due to get it, and which model have you ordered? I really hope it does well in the 5 way comparison I have often found MA speakers are capable of punching above their price point

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Thanks for the welcome Paul in the last 2 years since I have been coming into WBF I have found lots to interest me like you say
Yes mine are MKI I bought them along with PL100's and a PLC150 when they announced the MKII were to be released
I have never heard any of the MKII range but would imagine all of them especially the PL300II's to be amazing speakers, I can barely start to imagine what the PL500's are like
As you say the PL200'sMKI are still a wonderful speaker I am more than impressed with them

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Trev - I've always liked the MA speakers as well. At the first 2 TAVE shows in Toronto their room had them paired with multiple Simaudio MOON pieces and I was really impressed with the sound. And my first "audiophile" CDP was an Arcam Alpha or Alpha One (don't recall exactly). Lovely player and I enjoyed it for many years.

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
Thanks for the welcome Johnny.
I am aware of the previous Arcam models although never heard them I only have experience of the FMJ range I am recently thinking how good it would be to upgrade my AV888 to the AV860 which has Dirac Live I am sure that would be a good step in the right direction

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I haven't heard any of their products in quite a few years, as there are few dealers here and none of them carry the line. I was about 50/50 analogue/digital years ago, but decided to focus on vinyl so now I'm about 90/10. I have an older H/K cd/sacd player that sees some service from CDs I don't have vinyl copies of or the few SACD's I have. Nothing against digital...I just prefer vinyl. I do have a fairly extensive FLAC files collection on my PC and those get good use. :)

BTW....I love that rack!

trev

Apr 3, 2015
Norfolk U.K
I can easily believe the Arcam dealers are not too common in Calgary Johnny. I have not heard any vinyl in yrs and yrs although I did consider dipping my toe in the water couple of yrs ago but decided to stick with what I have
The rack is from a UK company called HiFi racks http://www.hifiracks.co.uk

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for the link Trev! :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello Trev, please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to our forum. Looks to me like you will fit in perfectly with our discussions here. Enjoy and again, welcome!

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing