Pre and power matching

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Measuring any solid-state line-output into a 600 Ohm load (if the output was not designed for 600 Ohm loads) is just wheel-spinning.
Now a 2000 Ohm load test is reasonable. (if the design load is 5 to 10k)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
It is my point - you can´t compare the Vout's -VTL specifiec 1% THD at 10 kohm load , ARC .5% on 200kohm.

For the REF10 the most important specification is the rated output : 2V RMS (1V RMS SE) into 200K ohm balanced load - it will produce a power of 200W in a 8 ohm load with a 26db gain power amplifier.

And as far as I could understand the offset gain of the REF10 only affects the attenuator/display settings, not the gain block of the preamplifier. It is just an display added convenience. But I can be wrong, please check it!

Francisco,

Unless I'm suffering from Amir-induced audiophile delusions :) I could hear a difference between the different gain settings on the REF 10, with digital, and with the phono preamp well. That's why I found it such a nice and useful touch, and thought worth mentioning here...

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing