Technics 1200mk2

Fbraith

Jun 18, 2017
Recently dug my turntables out of storage. I have been using one of them for a few months now, and have been doing a lot of reading to update my knowledge of the equipment available today. The turntables I own were bought in the mid eighties, and I am wondering if equipment this old is good "as is" or does it need upgrading. I installed an Ortofon red, but wonder whether the connectors coming out of the tt need to be upgraded. I ask because I have seen articles where people spend hundreds of dollars on connection cables made of all sorts of fancy materials. Are my 30 year old connectors still good? Music sounds great to me, but I have no comparison.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Recently dug my turntables out of storage. I have been using one of them for a few months now, and have been doing a lot of reading to update my knowledge of the equipment available today. The turntables I own were bought in the mid eighties, and I am wondering if equipment this old is good "as is" or does it need upgrading. I installed an Ortofon red, but wonder whether the connectors coming out of the tt need to be upgraded. I ask because I have seen articles where people spend hundreds of dollars on connection cables made of all sorts of fancy materials. Are my 30 year old connectors still good? Music sounds great to me, but I have no comparison.

Hi and welcome to WBF Fbraith

You've come to the right place as we have countless experts here in all things vinyl and turntable

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Honestly I'd start with some contact cleaner like Caig and call the lads at KAB Electro-Acoustics for some factory oil for your SL-1200's platter bearing and go from there. Kevin has a long history of worthwhile upgrades on the SL-1200, and seeing as yours is already paid for, a few tweaks to what you already have could be the low budget answer to better sound.

The sky is the limit, but having said that the ultimate goal is a big smile on your face and the desire to listen and listen and listen.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
2m_red_pnp.jpg

I installed an Ortofon red

they make a plug in version ( PnP Plug and Play )( no headshell or connectors ) same as a Ortofon SPU
2M Red good , try a blue/bronze/black & junk the SL1200 rubber mat as well

Fbraith

Jun 18, 2017
What should i replace rubber mat with? Tried cork and got cork particles on my records. Also, will I need to adjust height of forearm if I use something thinner than the rubber?

Fbraith

Jun 18, 2017
So you don't think I need to replace any wiring, just clean the contacts? Thank you for the tip on KAB, I'm going to check them out.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
mkiifunkplatter1.jpg

Funk Firm Achromat SL1200 3mm version & does not change VTA

New armboard & a Jelco SA750D & a bit of a giant killer

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Fbraith

I've had KAB Acoustics rewire the arm on an SL-1200, with their best wire...... I presume it is better.

Having said that the arm rewire came along with their outboard PS and strobe disable function, and their bedding tweak for the bearing This does make for a better package, but it also makes it hard to say which of the changes had the most significant impact on performance. When it was all said and done other than noise rejection on the cables, it gave my main TT at the time a run. That TT was an SME-10.

Cyclotronguy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing