Tower in London | Gone in smoke, and with it 58 human lives, maybe more

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I watched few videos, listen to people who lost everything (I know how it is), but her she made an emotional impact of larger proportion, about our society. Human nature has many faces, from various perspectives.

58 victims. Many that we don't know who are dead will never be identified. 40% were not in New York from those towers.
The death toll here could very well be close to 150. Many were sleeping @ around 1:30 AM, the protocol is to stay put, smoke was thick, no fire alarm, flames were quick and infernal, many children, several people are in critical condition in hospitals...
http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...w/news-story/362f4d813d327c92f63eb818744259c7
http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/17/why-the-grenfell-tower-fire-death-toll-is-rising-slowly-6715879/
_____

Couple interviews from survivors:

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Why do refrigerators blow up in England? I understand how a refrigertor works, commercial & residential.

zz.

Apparently power surges were a regular occurrence in the block since the renovation.
But like you, it's not something I'd ever heard of before

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobutane

Refrigerant use

"As a refrigerant, isobutane has an explosion risk in addition to the hazards associated with non-flammable CFC refrigerants. Reports surfaced in late 2009 suggesting the use of isobutane as a refrigerant in domestic refrigerators was potentially dangerous. One refrigerator explosion reported in the United Kingdom was suspected to have been caused as a result of isobutane leaking into the refrigerator cabinet and being ignited by sparks in the electrical system. Although unclear how serious this could be, at the time this report came out it was estimated 300 million refrigerators worldwide use isobutane as a refrigerant.

Substitution of this refrigerant for motor vehicle air conditioning systems not originally designed for isobutane is widely prohibited or discouraged, on the grounds that using flammable hydrocarbons in systems originally designed to carry non-flammable refrigerant presents a significant risk of fire or explosion.

Vendors and advocates of hydrocarbon refrigerants argue against such bans on the grounds that there have been very few such incidents relative to the number of vehicle air conditioning systems filled with hydrocarbons."

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
From 58 victims we are now @ 79, and that number IMO is most likely to climb: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/europe/london-grenfell-tower-fire/index.html

The investigation will take years according to some experts. From my own investigation, the company(ies) responsible have already deleted important information from their websites. The more they delete the harder they make it for the investigators. If some people are smart they'll make copies before it gets deleted further. This is playing with fire, with the truth, hiding behind a veil of culpability. It is very hard to get the picture out of my mind; all the people (humans) in that unsafe building who didn't stand a chance, men, women and many children.

The Brits are in deep mourning and highly frustrated, and for good reason.
Reading accounts of survivors, interviews, watching videos, etc., is extremely devastating on several fronts.
It is affecting me profoundly, and I share all my heart with the people of London, all of them, from the poorest to the richest...equally.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
From 58 victims we are now @ 79, and that number IMO is most likely to climb: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/europe/london-grenfell-tower-fire/index.html

The investigation will take years according to some experts. From my own investigation, the company(ies) responsible have already deleted important information from their websites. The more they delete the harder they make it for the investigators. If some people are smart they'll make copies before it gets deleted further. This is playing with fire, with the truth, hiding behind a veil of culpability. It is very hard to get the picture out of my mind; all the people (humans) in that unsafe building who didn't stand a chance, men, women and many children.

The Brits are in deep mourning and highly frustrated, and for good reason.
Reading accounts of survivors, interviews, watching videos, etc., is extremely devastating on several fronts.
It is affecting me profoundly, and I share all my heart with the people of London, all of them, from the poorest to the richest...equally.

Very well said,...this is an horrific event. The way that wildfire spread just hammers home the fact that something is not right here and there are those culpable for all these deaths. As one Brit said in a posted video,...I wonder how much of that 10 million quid actually went to the quality of the construction and engineering for safety versus municipal fees, taxes, contractors and other over-padding their estimates and various other shady propositions? Regardless what the truth is many humans died horribly and many others will be scarred physically and/or emotionally for life.

Prayers are offered for the victims, the survivors and their families and friends.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I spent several hours reading about the whys, the whos, everything that was known to government officials and what wasn't done under the actual today's leadership, the British Prime Minister Theresa May and staff. They all knew the situation.

"When Prime Minister Theresa May visited the site last week, she refused to meet residents, citing “safety concerns.” (Meanwhile, both the queen and Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the Labour Party, met with Grenfell tenants.) On Sunday, Mrs. May had a few survivors visit her at Downing Street — but only after she was forced to flee angry protests by locals a few days earlier.

Fixing Britain’s public housing crisis will not be easy. And it’s not likely to happen as long as Mrs. May and her Conservatives are in charge of the government. But the level of public anger right now since the Grenfell disaster is forcing people here to confront the issues of class and race, gentrification and public policy that, it is now clear, can be deadly."

______

This is a good informative article (short) ? • https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/20/15829416/london-fire-grenfell-tower-explained-political-crisis

"Even Prime Minister Theresa May’s new chief of staff might share part of the blame for the tragedy. Gavin Barwell, the former housing minister, delayed a review of fire safety in apartment buildings even after the review was called for when six people died in a blaze in South London in 2009, according to the Independent.

Much of the blame for the tragedy has fallen on both the management organization and the national government. If investigators confirm that the cladding was why the fire spread so rapidly and the building completely incinerated, then more of the responsibility could fall on the national government for failing to regulate and ban the material."

• Facts so far: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40272168
• Faces of the departed, who they are: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40282153

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing