15 Classical Concerts in 21 Days in London

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
We just returned from our annual sojourn to London and environs. This time we did 15 concerts (we did 22 concerts two years ago!) during our 3 week stay. I've written about them in three blogs which are posted in the six month old Zero Distortion Blog which I do with Kedar. Many of you have read Kedar's (rhymes with radar) musings about equipment that he has heard on his travels in Europe and around the world, visiting some of the finest audio systems. My blogs are mainly about classical music, mostly vinyl recommendations from my collection. On this trip we were fortunately to hear five of the greatest piano concerti, the last three Betthoven Concerti, and the two Brahms concerti. We also heard some of the great pianists playing the concerti and in solo recital. Two additional highllights were two trips to the Glyndebourne Festival, wearing black tie, to attend two operas there.

http://zero-distortion.org/music-notes/

We did one non classical music event. The V&A (Victoria and Albert Museum) is doing a major exhibition of Pink Floyd, called "Their Mortal Remains" through October, which is a retrospective of all their recordings, with many video clips of interviews with the remaining members. Quite fascinating. The music is done quite well with Sennheiser wireless headphones that switch between the different areas as you move through the exhibit. The exhibit itself is very well done, by Stufish Entertainment Architects, who do major exhibitions in addition to designing buildings around the world. Turns out our nephew in law (married to Pearl's niece) is a senior architect with Stufish.

Hope you enjoy.

Larry

Last edited:

tdimler

Jul 4, 2016
TX
Sounds like a great trip....I would sure like to have been there for Uchida on Beethoven 3!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for the links to your blogs Larry. Very informative. It sounds like you had a wonderful and busy time across the pond.

ferrari275

Jan 18, 2018
United States
What a wonderful, fulfilling classical music experience this must have been. Brahms concerto, Beethoven concerti's, simply breathtaking works. Bravissimo signore! :cool: East Sussex, hosting the Glyndebourne Festival remains celebrated with classical fans around the world.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You are replying to last year's post. Though this year a similar thing happened. As will next year as Larry visits every summer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing